1. 1. who was this week's mvp?

• Tyler Davis
    • Trevor Davis
    • Antonio Davis
    • Dale Davis
    • Davis Love III
    • ThatJerkDavis

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Switching teams and having to learn a new offense isn't ideal either.  Love's best chance I believe is in Green Bay.  He's likely no more than a back up either here or somewhere else.  At least in GB he will eventually get a shot. 

This is more or less how I see it.  I don't see where Love is likely to have better options than remaining in GB.

1 minute ago, Cpdaly23 said:

And if he does sign a big deal elsewhere, we collect a 3rd comp pick and move on.  

Unless he's stepping in for an injured Rodgers this year and lighting things up, it would be hilarious to see Love signed elsewhere at a number big enough to warrant a RD3 comp pick.

8 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

This is more or less how I see it.  I don't see where Love is likely to have better options than remaining in GB.

Yup.  

GB has seen all games and practice reps vs outside teams getting only game reps .... except from the limited teams that saw joint practice with GB. 

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Yup.  

GB has seen all games and practice reps vs outside teams getting only game reps .... except from the limited teams that saw joint practice with GB. 

I guess maybe Hackett in DEN could lobby to bring Love there and immediately compete.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Unless he's stepping in for an injured Rodgers this year and lighting things up, it would be hilarious to see Love signed elsewhere at a number big enough to warrant a RD3 comp pick.

There are those arguing that Love wouldn’t resign with a moderate extension in GB “because he could get more and be a starter elsewhere”.  If that’s true, he’s going to bring back a comp pick.

I think that argument is stupid, as Green Bay should know whether he’s their next guy or not by the end of this season, regardless of Rodgers situation.  They will sign him to an extension if they want to ensure he succeeds Rodgers in 2024 or 2025.  

Edited by Cpdaly23
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

There are those arguing that Love wouldn’t resign with a moderate extension in GB “because he could get more and be a starter elsewhere”.  If that’s true, he’s going to bring back a comp pick.

I think that argument is stupid, as Green Bay should know whether he’s their next guy or not by the end of this season, regardless of Rodgers situation.  They will sign him to an extension if they want to ensure he succeeds Rodgers in 2024 or 2025.  

Exactly.  The decision to sign Love to a 2nd deal will tell us everything we need to know about how GB feels about Love.  If he stays in GB, he is showing something to the staff.  If he isn't, he'll move on.  If GB views Love as a legit successor to Rodgers, the 2nd contract will happen.

37 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Are you kidding? We got a fourth-round pick for Matt Flynn. Way more upside with Love. 

Honestly, he's getting traded this off-season if Rodgers is coming back next year. There are going to be 8-10 teams looking for a QB like every year and not enough guys in the draft. Right now you have the kid from Bama and Ohio State that seem like lock 1st rounders. After that, it's slim pickings. 

Edited by Old Guy

57 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Exactly.  The decision to sign Love to a 2nd deal will tell us everything we need to know about how GB feels about Love.  If he stays in GB, he is showing something to the staff.  If he isn't, he'll move on.  If GB views Love as a legit successor to Rodgers, the 2nd contract will happen.

I would suspect that it will happen. Gute and LaFleur don't want that guy walking out there door when he's "light years ahead of where he was last year".

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Doh!!  I was thinking they still had last season's QB's

Season 3 Wall GIF by The Simpsons

Should a trade materialize this off season. There will be plenty or potential landing spots for Love. Assuming he continues to improve. I'd say a very good week 3 in preseason enhances his value a bit. Some regular season action would help but nobody wants that unless it's in garbage time after we've trounced our opponent. 

Seattle, Carolina, Detroit, New Orleans, NY Giants, Tampa and Washington likely are in QB market. I absolutely believe this is Brady's last dance. 

Others who MIGHT be in the market depending on how their guy does: Chicago, Houston, NOLA, Miami, Philly, and Jets. I happen to think Zach Wilson is the real deal and will prove that this year. 

There are a lot of landing spots every year for QB's. It's the nature of the business. A guy who has had proper training and is only 24 is attractive to many teams. He's shown a lot this preseason. Regular season reps are what he needs. 

With the progress Love is showing so far this year and the progress I expect to see from him as the year progresses, I think he will be on this team this year and next year, unless we get offered a 1st round pick.  Rodgers may be gone at the end of this year or at the end of next year.  He turns 39 in December.  A lot of his coming back next year depends on how good the team plays (and these wide receivers) this year and of course, just how he feels about his life.  His life is not all football.  Luckily for us, the team does not have to commit to Love's 5th year until early May and Rodgers is going to let the team know his intentions well before that.

btw:  There are a lot of worse back up quarterbacks in the NFL right now without Love's upside, so keep him.  Seventeen games is a lot and I think Love plays 2 or 3 games this year for us.

3 hours ago, squire12 said:

You don't think Love considers a 5 year $30M type contract after this 2022 season?

2 years of voided at the end gives Love some leverage to leave if desired after 3 years

If you're Jordan Love and you believe in your ability, and you suspect Rodgers is going to play beyond '24, then no. You move on where you can play and bet on yourself.