GDT: Philly at Dallas - THROW IN THE DAMN TOWEL

WizardHawk

Meh...for the Philly trolls that are still creaming their pants, lurking in this thread:

Football is all about up and down years, but even in the up years, you scrubs can still count the Lombardis on no hands...

POS City/fanbase begets a POS team.  Deal with it.

So now Witten is crap?   Are y frikken kidding me.   Doesn’t anyone understand cause effect.   Witten is one of the best if not best blocking TE there is so have problem with OL protection then Witten stays in as a blocker thus not available as a receiver.   Sigh.  Sure this team has a ton of holes.  Most teams don’t have pro bowlers at all positions. With this team it is young so very fragile and it works as a balancing act. Even last year   The key our offense controls the ball limiting the time the other team has the ball putting undue pressure in them to succeed every time it works unless you have a QB like Rogers who can make the magic time again but you need the pieces in place right now we are missing 4 critical pieces.   

1.  Before we were in scoring position when we reached the 40 thus defenders had to adjust to gamble some once we reached close to mid field.  Now it’s close to the 25-30. That’s. A huge difference one extra first down. And the team coaches really don’t have faith in our kicker so play calling changes 

2. No longer special back who makes defenses scared.  Our current back gets about half the yardage per run as would Eliot on the positive runs.  If not all the runs That is huge

3.  The stats don’t lie blame whom ever but without Lee our defense gives up almost twice the number of points and Running yards meaning the TOP is flipped

4 we are missing a key member of our OL in terms of pass protection meaning our QB gets hardly any time to move off the no1 option and defenses can plan for this and the offensive play calling is limited I.e. no chance of any deep balls to Butler some thing that was a huge threat and kept defenses honest and opened up more passing lanes   There is a reason Dak just threw his first ever interception on play action   

8 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

So. Here is the thing we Dak. He was asked to do vert little last year. And this year he needs to do so much more. He is still developing, but our main stud WR complains more than he catches the ball.

I'd go as far as this to say, that I think that our #1 and #2 WR's are more of a hindrance to Dak's development than anything else. I would not be opposed if we traded off both Dez and TWill in the offseason.

10 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

So. Here is the thing we Dak. He was asked to do vert little last year. And this year he needs to do so much more. He is still developing, but our main stud WR complains more than he catches the ball.

Agree.  Dez is scoring very high on the PITA Index.  Pain In The A**.

4 hours ago, quiller said:

So now Witten is crap?   Are y frikken kidding me.   Doesn’t anyone understand cause effect.   Witten is one of the best if not best blocking TE there is so have problem with OL protection then Witten stays in as a blocker thus not available as a receiver.   Sigh.  Sure this team has a ton of holes.  Most teams don’t have pro bowlers at all positions. With this team it is young so very fragile and it works as a balancing act. Even last year   The key our offense controls the ball limiting the time the other team has the ball putting undue pressure in them to succeed every time it works unless you have a QB like Rogers who can make the magic time again but you need the pieces in place right now we are missing 4 critical pieces.   

1.  Before we were in scoring position when we reached the 40 thus defenders had to adjust to gamble some once we reached close to mid field.  Now it’s close to the 25-30. That’s. A huge difference one extra first down. And the team coaches really don’t have faith in our kicker so play calling changes 

2. No longer special back who makes defenses scared.  Our current back gets about half the yardage per run as would Eliot on the positive runs.  If not all the runs That is huge

3.  The stats don’t lie blame whom ever but without Lee our defense gives up almost twice the number of points and Running yards meaning the TOP is flipped

4 we are missing a key member of our OL in terms of pass protection meaning our QB gets hardly any time to move off the no1 option and defenses can plan for this and the offensive play calling is limited I.e. no chance of any deep balls to Butler some thing that was a huge threat and kept defenses honest and opened up more passing lanes   There is a reason Dak just threw his first ever interception on play action   

Ironically last year Philly and Dallas had virtually the same exact draft. DE, CB, CB, etc. 

Ironically they have the same exact injury issues: LT out, RB out, Kicker out, LB out.

Yet, Philly is thriving and we are sinking. I made this point before, they are playing like a TEAM, we have a select few individuals that carry a mess of ish throughout the season. When they are out: Lee, Smith, Zeke, Bailey, we suck. No two ways about it.

As for getting rid of Dez, and T Will, why not? Philly bumped Maclin and (can't think of his name right now but he went to Buffalo) sign two FA WR's a FA RB, traded for a RB and are dominating the league!

I think its time we stop trying to reincarnate the triplets and do the same. Dez is showing signs of "over the hill." Lee also has to go because we cannot rely on him. He is the heart of our defense but there in lies the problem, with him out, and he's out a lot, we have NO defense. Marinelli also has to go.

This thing can be turned around in one year if we:

1. Cut the big contract guys that are under performing and replace with solid, not super star, but solid blue collar players on 1 year deals.

2. Get a frickin defensive coach that can actually coach. That is relentless, mean, and good. Our defense hasn't scared anyone in over twenty years.

3. Trade some of our draft picks for proven NFL players on bad teams ala NE and Philly. How are they doing this year?

4. Hold players accountable for their actions. Make a damn statement, you screw up outside, your off the team! Can't keep counting on guys that can't stay on the field.

Philly did it, NE and Pitts continually do it, the Saints did it, etc.

When are we going to get wise???

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

This is just my opinion and its as an Eagles fan.  Not trying to be disrespectful by the way.  I have watched all of Dallas's games this year.

Zeke and the OL from Cowboys are great.  i would even say the defense for Cowboys is solid much of the time (2nd half defense has struggled at time this season).  You have demarcus Lawrence which has turned out to be a real stud, and as good as Zeke is, the Cowboys still have a good runningback in Alfred Morris.  He has played well the last two weeks too, averaging over 5 yards per attempt.

The big difference is that Dak is missing Tyron Smith.  I think a lot of people was very curious to see how Dak would perform without his elite RB, and LT.  It has not been good.  Dak is after all just a 2nd year player, and as much as many Cowboys fans didnt want to admit, the Cowboys are built around their OL, and RB.  Not their QB.  Tony Romo had a great year with Murray as well, and Zeke is better than Murray.

So back to my point, Dak needs to progress, and Cowboys needs to focus on adding depth.  The loss of Sean Lee, Tyron Smith, and Zeke are big losses, but at this point in the season, most teams have significant injuries.  Eagles as an example is without LT Jason Peters, RB Darren Sproles, and LB Jordan Hicks.  Up until last night was also without CB Ronald Darby.  There is a long list of injuries other than that as well including a game without RT Lane Johnson, and TE Zack Ertz.  I mean we can say the same thing about the Patriots.  Regardless of who Tom Brady has around him, or who is injured, he find a way to succeed.  In this situation Dak has to step it up.  

Last 2 games for Dak:   62% accuracy for 5.2 yards per attempt.  3 fumble, 4 interceptions for 7 turnovers, and 1TD.  16 total points of offense.

So really my point is that Cowboys should add more depth.  I think you are right about moving on from Dez Bryant.  He is a super physical receiver, but because of injuries he hasnt been as effective as he use to be.  On the other hand maybe you guys just need to add a better supporting cast of receivers.  As much as people do want to blame Dez, I wouldnt say Cole Beasley is performing very well either.  Jason Witten is still solid though.

I dont think you guys should throw in the towel by the way.  there is still 6 games left, and you can make wild card.  Not sure who the 6th seed is right now, and i know NFC is stacked, but it is still very possible.  

9 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

I just saw this... if we cut Dez before June 1, we'd save $8.5 million on the cap.  If we cut him after June 1, we'd save 12.5 million on the cap.  I can tell you right now, I can think of better ways to spend $12.5 million next year.

Useless I misread I think this happens after 2018 season.

9 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Useless I misread I think this happens after 2018 season.

Looking at his contract

2018 - base salary of 12.5 mil / 4 mil signing bonus / cap hit of 16.5 mil

2019 - base salary 12.5 mil / 4 mil signing bonus / cap hit of 16.5 mil

Cut at start of league year he would have a 8 mil cap hit of dead money

Cut at June 2nd only a 4 mil cap hit of dead money.

we can clear out a lot of cash from cutting him either way, but damn those base salaries make him practically untradeable (sucks).

34 minutes ago, JayWood2010 said:

This is just my opinion and its as an Eagles fan.  Not trying to be disrespectful by the way.  I have watched all of Dallas's games this year.

Zeke and the OL from Cowboys are great.  i would even say the defense for Cowboys is solid much of the time (2nd half defense has struggled at time this season).  You have demarcus Lawrence which has turned out to be a real stud, and as good as Zeke is, the Cowboys still have a good runningback in Alfred Morris.  He has played well the last two weeks too, averaging over 5 yards per attempt.

The big difference is that Dak is missing Tyron Smith.  I think a lot of people was very curious to see how Dak would perform without his elite RB, and LT.  It has not been good.  Dak is after all just a 2nd year player, and as much as many Cowboys fans didnt want to admit, the Cowboys are built around their OL, and RB.  Not their QB.  Tony Romo had a great year with Murray as well, and Zeke is better than Murray.

So back to my point, Dak needs to progress, and Cowboys needs to focus on adding depth.  The loss of Sean Lee, Tyron Smith, and Zeke are big losses, but at this point in the season, most teams have significant injuries.  Eagles as an example is without LT Jason Peters, RB Darren Sproles, and LB Jordan Hicks.  Up until last night was also without CB Ronald Darby.  There is a long list of injuries other than that as well including a game without RT Lane Johnson, and TE Zack Ertz.  I mean we can say the same thing about the Patriots.  Regardless of who Tom Brady has around him, or who is injured, he find a way to succeed.  In this situation Dak has to step it up.  

Last 2 games for Dak:   62% accuracy for 5.2 yards per attempt.  3 fumble, 4 interceptions for 7 turnovers, and 1TD.  16 total points of offense.

So really my point is that Cowboys should add more depth.  I think you are right about moving on from Dez Bryant.  He is a super physical receiver, but because of injuries he hasnt been as effective as he use to be.  On the other hand maybe you guys just need to add a better supporting cast of receivers.  As much as people do want to blame Dez, I wouldnt say Cole Beasley is performing very well either.  Jason Witten is still solid though.

I dont think you guys should throw in the towel by the way.  there is still 6 games left, and you can make wild card.  Not sure who the 6th seed is right now, and i know NFC is stacked, but it is still very possible.  

Well said and great game last night. If all Eagles fans approached the games against us with this type of constructive criticism, I would enjoy the games much more. Being from Philly makes it difficult to be a Cowboy fan. Nights like last night make it even worse. But hey, you are correct, there are still 6 weeks left. 

3 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Well said and great game last night. If all Eagles fans approached the games against us with this type of constructive criticism, I would enjoy the games much more. Being from Philly makes it difficult to be a Cowboy fan. Nights like last night make it even worse. But hey, you are correct, there are still 6 weeks left. 

agreed Dave, unfortunately most Eagles fans are not that way. Being in the south Jersey area for so long has taught me that.  I've been tagged in, posted on my FB wall, FB messaged, texted, called and even left notes on my desk by Eagles fans today and last night. freaking obnoxious they are. leave me alone, so I can sulk in peace.

Archived