The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

Bill's Town is one of the highlights of the game for me, the hordes while hanging upside-down, the graveyard and the HS chapters along with navigating all of Bill's traps, just sucks you into the game. They sure took the typical Hollywood liberties with that episode. Really bummed all we get with Joel and Ellie is just waltzing into the property, taking a shower and driving away. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Bill's Town is one of the highlights of the game for me, the hordes while hanging upside-down, the graveyard and the HS chapters along with navigating all of Bill's traps, just sucks you into the game. They sure took the typical Hollywood liberties with that episode. Really bummed all we get with Joel and Ellie is just waltzing into the property, taking a shower and driving away. 

I felt the same and I didn't even play the game. The whole buildup just seemed useless. 

On 1/29/2023 at 9:05 PM, Broncofan said:

Offerman going to be the favorite for guest actor Emmy after that ep.   

Total departure from the game yet added so much to the depth of the show.   Unbelievable ep.   

*Chef’s kiss* 

I’m not crying. That’s just rain on my face 😭😭😭

• Like 1

23 hours ago, minutemancl said:

As far as moving the story along with plot points, you are right. But thematically, that whole story served a huge purpose. It was shot and portrayed as such an outlying beacon of hope, that I think we are about to get some incredibly depressing stuff coming up.

Plus it was important for Joel’s character development.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I haven't played the game since a few months b/c part 2 came out so I've been following a walkthrough as I watch the episodes and yeah, I'm a little more upset w/ this episode as a result. If they weren't already in the truck, I'd think we still might get some of what was in the game but it doesn't look like we will. This is a huge departure from the game and I am not a fan of it. Still, a good episode but knowing what it could've been is a huge letdown. 

Spoiler

I forgot this was the introduction to the bloater. From the previews, it looks like we're still going to get a glimpse at one but that gym battle was insanely good and we aren't going to get to see it play out. I honestly forgot how much happened w/ Bill's arc. IMO, they dropped the ball w/ this adjustment.

Edited by BobbyPhil1781
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I dont care if the buildup in the episode wasnt plot moving. That was a beautiful hour of television. Stunningly well done to get you to know and care for these two men in about 30-35 minutes of screen time, absolute brilliant writing and directing - and obviously acting. 

I would say it was plot moving in terms of primarily building on Joel’s and Ellie’s bond. But you can also see important world building details like how the outbreak actually happened, Ellie’s interesting fascination with certain things, what Fedra essentially did to every town, and things like the raiders. Plus the idea of hope in a post apocalyptic world through Bill and Frank.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I would say it was plot moving in terms of primarily building on Joel’s and Ellie’s bond. But you can also see important world building details like how the outbreak actually happened, Ellie’s interesting fascination with certain things, what Fedra essentially did to every town, and things like the raiders. Plus the idea of hope in a post apocalyptic world through Bill and Frank.

It's not what the episode had, it's what it lacked. For the people watching this because of the love of the video game, we just skipped over the action packed hook-setting chapter that made it hard to put down the controller, and turned it into a made for TV love story and Joel and Ellie literally walking into the town, taking a truck and leaving. Feel like that episode was more enjoyable if you didn't play the game.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not what the episode had, it's what it lacked. For the people watching this because of the love of the video game, we just skipped over the action packed hook-setting chapter that made it hard to put down the controller, and turned it into a made for TV love story and Joel and Ellie literally walking into the town, taking a truck and leaving. Feel like that episode was more enjoyable if you didn't play the game.

Exactly. They're seemingly stripping down the action for more of a story here which I kinda get. They just had a very action packed episode the one prior so do you want to throw action after action or find a place to tone it down a bit? If that's their logic, like I said, I get it but I feel the was the wrong episode to do it with. 

They got super Hollywood with this at the wrong time, like you said, if you played the game. If you were none the wiser, there's no reason to have any beef. It was a great episode

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It was definitively more than them just walking into town and leaving. There was so much there in that small amount of time between Joel and Ellie. But yes, this episode was probably my favorite so far. Though they’ve all been great.

14 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I dont care if the buildup in the episode wasnt plot moving

If the short term plot goal was to get a working truck, didn’t they accomplish that? 

im pretty on the fence about the episode in regards to its relation to the game. Druckmann will always favor story above all else. Bill was a survivor in the game but his purpose was just kinda lost out of a mindless need to survive. They don’t touch on him again after in the game. Giving a more compelling memorable side and ending up in the same place (giving the main characters a working vehicle) is fine. I would’ve hated if they hadn’t killed him off and he kept popping in later on when they didn’t know what to do with his character and didn’t want to write it out. And it was a peak of action in the game but the more action you show throughout, the more you cheapen it. 

• Like 2

Someone posted wondering why Station 11 was slept on when it’s not far off from The Last of Us. I had a particular pull to Station 11 because my place of work was featured in it, which doesn’t mean anything to anyone unless you’re from my area and realize absolutely nothing ever really comes out of here. Station 11’s outbreak was good but their post apocalyptic world sucked and totally killed my interest. Seeing the post reminded me I never even finished the show. I think the difference is: better source material, more compelling need to survive, having any reason to want to survive, superior writing and actors. 

13 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Exactly. They're seemingly stripping down the action for more of a story here which I kinda get. They just had a very action packed episode the one prior so do you want to throw action after action or find a place to tone it down a bit? If that's their logic, like I said, I get it but I feel the was the wrong episode to do it with. 

They got super Hollywood with this at the wrong time, like you said, if you played the game. If you were none the wiser, there's no reason to have any beef. It was a great episode

I guess I thought they went the complete opposite of Super Hollywood in this episode.