The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

The wood wide web mechanism definitely works for a TV series.   In the game you can arbitrarily put in boss battle scenes or mob scenes - but that random generation would seem way more artificial in a TV series imo.   The fungal web allows to create mega battle scenes in a way that’s organic for the series.    

Otherwise you’d have repeated scenes like the Clicker one where they’re always messing up or having an area crash that triggers a zombie mob / boss battle.   It would get old pretty quickly.   The fungal web can either be there or not as needed.   So for a 8 hour season (vs a 20+ hr game) it makes a lot more sense to have that in place.  

I get it and I'm not criticizing the use of it but just the making out part. Initially I said I didn't like the spores not being involved but people brought up good points about it and that made sense. Now seeing it in the show, I don't mind it at all when I initially did have a problem. I have total faith that they will do the rest justice. Can't wait for this upcoming episode as it looks like we'll get some backstory the game never gave us and... well.... other stuff also.

33 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

The blaze of glory thing makes no sense, she wanted to die and being in the explosion offers a quick death. It wouldn't make any sense for her to try to fight them when she had every intention of ending her life anyway. 

Spoiler

FWIW I think the objection raised is largely due to the fact that in the game, she went out fighting to buy Joel & Ellie more time.    But the same purpose was achieved here, just in a different way.  

I get that ppl don't like to see Tess go out that way - but IMO it's more "realistic" TV-series wise than in a video game.    These zombies are really tough to overcome, and they only have limited ammunition.    I also agree that the kiss was more for shock value - and I wouldn't have gone that way.   

But overall, they've done such such a great job in what to keep / change that I can't really complain about the differences from the game - they've been largely necessary (wood wide web mechanism to activate hordes) or added to the experience (intros), other than the kiss scene.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob_shadows said:

The blaze of glory thing makes no sense, she wanted to die and being in the explosion offers a quick death. It wouldn't make any sense for her to try to fight them when she had every intention of ending her life anyway. 

And she could still have her quick death.  If she delays the Zombie horde by even 30 seconds, that could be another couple hundred feet for the others to run away.  Have the lighter lit and once they get too close, let it fall.  I guess she "couldn't get it to light", but under that logic, it magically working once she starts getting fungified is just as hokey.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

And she could still have her quick death.  If she delays the Zombie horde by even 30 seconds, that could be another couple hundred feet for the others to run away.  Have the lighter lit and once they get too close, let it fall.  I guess she "couldn't get it to light", but under that logic, it magically working once she starts getting fungified is just as hokey.

Spoiler

I guess but it's just an unnecessary risk, had she decided to fight them off it wouldn't have bought want extra time as she was doing to blow up the building anyway stopping the infected in their tracks and you never know what may happen if you try to fight them off first... One could manage to get around you and get you from being preventing you from igniting the gas and blowing the building up then dozens of infected would be on Joel and Ellie's heels. 

By immediately trying to blow it to up she ensured none would be chasing Joel and Ellie (it's fungus... Fungus isn't going through fire).

Plus you have to remember the poster at the first episode says that a bite in the upper body causes you to turn very quickly (pretty sure it was under an hour), she was already feeling the effects (her arm trembling) and likely didn't have much time left where she had full control of herself so she had to do it asap. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2023 at 10:18 PM, Deadpulse said:

For the non-game watchers, do these openings scenes help add context for you? The pilot episode opening scene was incredibly well done and I loved it. This one seemed a bit repetitive but that might be such because I am burdened with knowledge. 

Yes, i loved the 2 opening scenes of each episode.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Malfatron said:

I didnt mind the Tess "kiss". No issues at all with it

Tess was already infected and was right on the line between being controlled and accepting the fungus, and trying to save her companions.

Did it turn you on 

I don't know how but the show is already so much more scary than the video games, despite I'm not the one actually surviving like in the games...

• The whole "network" thing just from a touch, etc.
  • The introductions for both episodes giving additional information/adding to the lore/world building.

31 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Not surprising given how it’s doing rating wise. But still good to know. So I’m assuming the sequel could be broken up into two seasons if they want this to go on longer.

a) the only surprising to me was that it wasn't already renewed.

b) i think that's what i've read. Season 1 is game 1. Game 2 can fill a couple of seasons because they can fill in with time between games 1 and 2 (there was a 5 year gap between the games timeline).

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

a) the only surprising to me was that it wasn't already renewed.

b) i think that's what i've read. Season 1 is game 1. Game 2 can fill a couple of seasons because they can fill in with time between games 1 and 2 (there was a 5 year gap between the games timeline).

S2 and S3 is covering the sequel and DLCs apparently.

https://gizmodo.com/last-of-us-hbo-length-left-behind-dlc-neil-druckmann-1849945355

• Like 2