The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

11 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I understand that line of thinking. I just think it is a baby's line of thinking lol. Someone else said it, but if it was a bad episode, then I totally get it. But that was pretty good, objectively. A normal person (read: not gamers) would watch and say "well, it wasn't like the game, but it was still pretty good". Babies go and spam a review website with 1 star reviews.

We live in a society where people think what they feel is true and react accordingly if something upsets them. The 1 *s shouldn't be a surprise to anyone as a result. All I'm saying is I can see why people wouldn't like the episode and provided my reasons why which I feel are justified and rational lines of thinking

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You can say that about most video games in this genre, no one wants to hold a controller and watch dialogue. They make countless other games into shows and movies, you have to add story, I have no problem with that, but you don't need to remove action and simply turn one of the most action packed chapters of the game into a romantic drama.

They made that episode to create headlines, be controversial and generate buzz, and they succeeded. Doesn't mean as a game player I can't choose to be disappointed they decided to take so many liberties and am worried they'll continue to do so as we progress.

The creator literally said, in the post episode talk "We stick to the game, unless we can improve the story. This is the biggest change in the show and the biggest area we thought we could improve".

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well in my opinion, they did not improve the story. 

The only thing I'm trying to understand here is why so many people are having issues w/ how others can perceive this episode. Looking at things from a different perspective is not hard to do but some here are having issues w/ just that. There are valid arguments for both sides of this coin whether people want to acknowledge them or not

I can see both sides.

It was a good episode, and having not played the games it would've been weird to not get any backstory on this place that seems totally fine with everything Joel/Ellie happen to need while the rest of the world is in ruins. At the end of the day, you watch the show to be entertained and that's what happened for me at least.

While it was good and backstory felt needed, making virtually the entire episode about two people who are then killed off does come off like filler. If it replaced an action set piece from the games that is highly regarded, I could see why people more familiar with the source material wouldn't be thrilled.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

How does being chased by a horde and getting through Bills traps improve the story?

The point of sitting on your *** and watching TV is to be entertained is it not? Make it 2 episodes, that episode ends with Joel and Ellie getting to the town, next week's episode picks up where the town is overrun now and follows the games storyline. 

47 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

How does being chased by a horde and getting through Bills traps improve the story?

I have zero knowledge of the game.  It was very well made, but in the end, it's a filler episode outside of about 10 minutes.  Frank and Bill's story doesn't move the plot forward outside of getting them a car.  When there are only nine episodes in what has been described as a self-contained story, it seems weird for one to be a filler episode.  I had similar complaints about The Mandalorian having filler episodes in a limited episode count season.

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I have zero knowledge of the game.  It was very well made, but in the end, it's a filler episode outside of about 10 minutes.  Frank and Bill's story doesn't move the plot forward outside of getting them a car.  When there are only nine episodes in what has been described as a self-contained story, it seems weird for one to be a filler episode.  I had similar complaints about The Mandalorian having filler episodes in a limited episode count season.

I guess I don’t see it as a filler episode for the reasons below:

41 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I like the world and character building

Everything doesnt need to be about EllieMcGuffin needing to get to the thing

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I like the world and character building

Everything doesnt need to be about EllieMcGuffin needing to get to the thing

They built two characters to kill them? They will have no impact on the rest of the story from here on out. Ellie and Joel's character building can be assumed, as it's literally the whole point of the story being told. So what did we accomplish that couldn't have been accomplished by any other episode? Ellie and Joel got a vehicle. It's the definition of a filler episode.

• Like 2