The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

12 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

I wish they would’ve kept the action part with Bill. 

Could’ve kept this episode and added another right?  Would a 10 episode season have been so bad?

It was originally 10 episodes but got cut down to 9 because they basically mush two episodes together for the premiere.

13 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Just looked at IMDb's user ratings for the episode and it being polarizing is seemingly the norm here. 

Number of people that gave it 10/10: 43k

Number of people that gave it 1/10: 21k

They definitely took a shot here and missed with a lot of people

That many people giving the episode a “1” is a little weird IMO.

1 minute ago, Xenos said:

That many people giving the episode a “1” is a little weird IMO.

Why?? It was a HUGE deviation from a very fun, important part of the game w/ a ton of action, great interactions, and dialogue and they completely changed it all. How you can you sympathize w/ people who wanted the original? To some people, it could be their favorite part of the game and they changed everything.

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Why?? It was a HUGE deviation from a very fun, important part of the game w/ a ton of action, great interactions, and dialogue and they completely changed it all. How you can you sympathize w/ people who wanted the original? To some people, it could be their favorite part of the game and they changed everything.

If it was a deviation that was super bad, then I can see it. But not having it exactly like the game should not warrant a “1” or the lowest score possible IMO. Especially when it can stand on its merit so well. But everything is subjective when it comes to art. So if that’s how they feel then that’s fine. 

11 minutes ago, Xenos said:

If it was a deviation that was super bad, then I can see it. But not having it exactly like the game should not warrant a “1” or the lowest score possible IMO. Especially when it can stand on its merit so well. But everything is subjective when it comes to art. So if that’s how they feel then that’s fine. 

Just b/c you don't think it wasn't super bad doesn't mean others don't as well. They literally did nothing the same from one of the most pivotal parts of the game except keep characters name the same and get a truck. That is literally it. People like myself were expecting one of the best parts of the game to be shown on the big screen and we got something  not even completely different as that would be an understatement to what they gave us. I was very disappointed but I liked the episode but I am just me. I can absolutely understand why there are a lot of 1s out there and don't think it should be hard for anyone to understand w/ the changes that were made

14 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not what the episode had, it's what it lacked. For the people watching this because of the love of the video game, we just skipped over the action packed hook-setting chapter that made it hard to put down the controller, and turned it into a made for TV love story and Joel and Ellie literally walking into the town, taking a truck and leaving. Feel like that episode was more enjoyable if you didn't play the game.

I played the game and loved the episode. 

People have a fundamental misunderstanding of gameplay and story. The gameplay in his section of the game was great but the story was pretty non-existent. Gameplay doesn’t translate to different medium that well. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Just b/c you don't think it wasn't super bad doesn't mean others don't as well. They literally did nothing the same from one of the most pivotal parts of the game except keep characters name the same and get a truck. That is literally it. People like myself were expecting one of the best parts of the game to be shown on the big screen and we got something  not even completely different as that would be an understatement to what they gave us. I was very disappointed but I liked the episode but I am just me. I can absolutely understand why there are a lot of 1s out there and don't think it should be hard for anyone to understand w/ the changes that were made

Well the nice thing is that game fans will always have that particular set piece in the game and no one can take that from them.

And as you mentioned in the previous page, they probably needed to do something different after episode 2. Adaptations sometimes require change and you need to switch gears for a show to work. Having the episode be less action oriented and more hopeful is probably necessary given how EP 2 ended.

23 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

People that are giving it a 1 are all homophobic and doing so because they hate seeing representation of gay characters in media. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

People that are giving it a 1 are all homophobic and doing so because they hate seeing representation of gay characters in media. 

I knew someone would say this lol. Yeah, people who play a game where the protagonist is a lesbian are homophobic. That makes a ton of sense.

EDIT: This has to be a troll post, right?.... right?

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The game is already basically a movie. Just play the game again. Why would you want everything to be exactly the same?

Also, I have a very strong theory as to why a vocal minority of gamers disliked this latest episode...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

The game is already basically a movie. Just play the game again. Why would you want everything to be exactly the same?

Also, I have a very strong theory as to why a vocal minority of gamers disliked this latest episode...

I can't speak for why other people would want it to be exactly the same as those don't correctly represent my feelings towards the episode as I've said many times. I am saying I can completely understand why people would be upset that a pivotal part of the game, which could easily be many, many fans favorite part, was completely redone and not similar one bit. Are you really saying you can't appreciate that line of thinking?

16 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I knew someone would say this lol. Yeah, people who play a game where the protagonist is a lesbian are homophobic. That makes a ton of sense.

EDIT: This has to be a troll post, right?.... right?

A 1 is dramatic enough a score that homophobia is believable to me. And a good chunk of the audience may not know Ellie is a lesbian. Hell, in the first game it’s only hinted at isn’t it? Game 2 she has a gf and game 1’s dlc. It also kinda full sent the gayness with the bearded man gay sex scene so it was bound to offend. Just rationalizing his post, although I’m sure a good chunk of the 1*’s are people disappointed in the lack of action and danger in Bill’s town after playing the game. 

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I can't speak for why other people would want it to be exactly the same as those don't correctly represent my feelings towards the episode as I've said many times. I am saying I can completely understand why people would be upset that a pivotal part of the game, which could easily be many, many fans favorite part, was completely redone and not similar one bit. Are you really saying you can't appreciate that line of thinking?

I understand that line of thinking. I just think it is a baby's line of thinking lol. Someone else said it, but if it was a bad episode, then I totally get it. But that was pretty good, objectively. A normal person (read: not gamers) would watch and say "well, it wasn't like the game, but it was still pretty good". Babies go and spam a review website with 1 star reviews.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I played the game and loved the episode. 

People have a fundamental misunderstanding of gameplay and story. The gameplay in his section of the game was great but the story was pretty non-existent. Gameplay doesn’t translate to different medium that well. 

You can say that about most video games in this genre, no one wants to hold a controller and watch dialogue. They make countless other games into shows and movies, you have to add story, I have no problem with that, but you don't need to remove action and simply turn one of the most action packed chapters of the game into a romantic drama.

They made that episode to create headlines, be controversial and generate buzz, and they succeeded. Doesn't mean as a game player I can't choose to be disappointed they decided to take so many liberties and am worried they'll continue to do so as we progress.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

A 1 is dramatic enough a score that homophobia is believable to me. And a good chunk of the audience may not know Ellie is a lesbian. Hell, in the first game it’s only hinted at isn’t it? Game 2 she has a gf and game 1’s dlc. It also kinda full sent the gayness with the bearded man gay sex scene so it was bound to offend. Just rationalizing his post, although I’m sure a good chunk of the 1*’s are people disappointed in the lack of action and danger in Bill’s town after playing the game. 

I'm sure homophobia might be a result of some of the 1s, yes, but your last line I'm guessing is the norm. That weirdo you quoted said "all" which is more of an emotional response than the people giving it 1s lol

• Like 1