The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

Oh very cool, the outbreak was caused (or just widespread) from a flour contamination. So Sarah, Tommy and Joel were saved in the beginning by eating eggs and leftovers after being out of pancake mix, didn’t eat the neighbor’s biscuit or the cookies because they had raisins 

Between Sarah last week and Tess this week, I’m quickly learning not to become too attached to a character. Both here briefly, both deaths heartbreaking.

Also want to say that the cold openings the first couple of episodes to build the world has been masterfully done. The doom and dread I felt after both of them is just *chef’s kiss*.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Between Sarah last week and Tess this week, I’m quickly learning not to become too attached to a character. Both here briefly, both deaths heartbreaking.

Also want to say that the cold openings the first couple of episodes to build the world has been masterfully done. The doom and dread I felt after both of them is just *chef’s kiss*.

I’m an absolute sucker for opening scenes like episode 2’s. Loved it. 

• Like 1

As someone who hasn't played the games, I'm thoroughly enjoying the story so far. It seems like the only people who don't like the show or have criticisms of it are people who played the games and don't like even the slightest bit of veering off script.

of course, the one valid criticism I've seen is that Tess should've died in a shootout rather than struggling to light a freaking lighter and then tonguing one of the infected. That would've been bad-***.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

As someone who hasn't played the games, I'm thoroughly enjoying the story so far. It seems like the only people who don't like the show or have criticisms of it are people who played the games and don't like even the slightest bit of veering off script.

of course, the one valid criticism I've seen is that Tess should've died in a shootout rather than struggling to light a freaking lighter and then tonguing one of the infected. That would've been bad-***.

As a game player, the only part I haven’t liked so far was Tess making out with a cordyceps zombie. It was legit as lame as Gustavo Fring walking out, fixing his tie and dying. Everything else has been fantastic. The failing lighter is another tension cliche but I guess I’m okay with it. At least they didn’t have her light gasoline with gunfire in a typical unrealistic movie magic stunt 

43 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

As a game player, the only part I haven’t liked so far was Tess making out with a cordyceps zombie. It was legit as lame as Gustavo Fring walking out, fixing his tie and dying. Everything else has been fantastic. The failing lighter is another tension cliche but I guess I’m okay with it. At least they didn’t have her light gasoline with gunfire in a typical unrealistic movie magic stunt 

I loved fring walking out like that, thought it was crazy. To each their own haha.  😂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I was hoping she was going to just start mowing down some zombies and then once she was overrun, light the lighter and blow it up. I think that would've been a better way to go but oh well.

39 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I was hoping she was going to just start mowing down some zombies and then once she was overrun, light the lighter and blow it up. I think that would've been a better way to go but oh well.

Yeah, I wanted the blaze of glory last stand and once finally overrun dropping the lighter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I didn't like the making out w/ the zombie thing either and I'm surprised this is the road they took to intertwine the wood wide web. I kinda get it but feel like other means to accomplish this could've been done instead. Literally my only gripe thus far. Everything else has been perfect.

The sending signals to create a hive mind thing feels very M Night Shyamalan. 

And I think I disagree that Tess needed to go out in a blaze of glory and spent shells. No reason her character needs to be Rambo even if she was a competent survivor. It probably would’ve been super corny if she held back the waves of them for a time, especially after her and Joel struggled a bit to get a headshot on the one that couldn’t actually see them until they made themselves known 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

And I think I disagree that Tess needed to go out in a blaze of glory and spent shells. No reason her character needs to be Rambo even if she was a competent survivor. It probably would’ve been super corny if she held back the waves of them for a time, especially after her and Joel struggled a bit to get a headshot on the one that couldn’t actually see them until they made themselves known 

Didn't have to be long.  Even if it was 5 seconds, go down swinging rather than trembling only to get french kissed by a fungus zombie.

3 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I didn't like the making out w/ the zombie thing either and I'm surprised this is the road they took to intertwine the wood wide web. I kinda get it but feel like other means to accomplish this could've been done instead. Literally my only gripe thus far. Everything else has been perfect.

2 hours ago, Ty21 said:

The wood wide web mechanism definitely works for a TV series.   In the game you can arbitrarily put in boss battle scenes or mob scenes - but that random generation would seem way more artificial in a TV series imo.   The fungal web allows to create mega battle scenes in a way that’s organic for the series.    

Otherwise you’d have repeated scenes like the Clicker one where they’re always messing up or having an area crash that triggers a zombie mob / boss battle.   It would get old pretty quickly.   The fungal web can either be there or not as needed.   So for a 8 hour season (vs a 20+ hr game) it makes a lot more sense to have that in place.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2