The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

Great first episode.  But I'm going to nitpick and say the one thing I didn't like 

Spoiler

The way Joel goes ham on that officer.  In the game, Ellie stabs the officer when she realizes he will detect she is infected and kill her on the spot. Joel and Tess then shoot the cops in self-defense.  I thought this came across way better than Joel going crazy and punching the crap out of the cop.  Joel can be an intense dude but man that scene kind of put me off a little bit.  I actually had to rewatch the scene from the game to make sure I wasn't tripping because it just felt so... weird.  I get that they tried to explain his rage by doing the whole thing where in his mind he's holding his daughter again and the cop is going to shoot them/her, but it just felt so unnatural for Joel to react that way.  Also in the game, Joel reacts with skepticism to what Ellie is saying, while he just ignores it here because of what he just did.  So just not a big fan of how they did that whole scene but in the grand scheme of things, not a super big deal.

12 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Great first episode.  But I'm going to nitpick and say the one thing I didn't like 

Hide contents

The way Joel goes ham on that officer.  In the game, Ellie stabs the officer when she realizes he will detect she is infected and kill her on the spot. Joel and Tess then shoot the cops in self-defense.  I thought this came across way better than Joel going crazy and punching the crap out of the cop.  Joel can be an intense dude but man that scene kind of put me off a little bit.  I actually had to rewatch the scene from the game to make sure I wasn't tripping because it just felt so... weird.  I get that they tried to explain his rage by doing the whole thing where in his mind he's holding his daughter again and the cop is going to shoot them/her, but it just felt so unnatural for Joel to react that way.  Also in the game, Joel reacts with skepticism to what Ellie is saying, while he just ignores it here because of what he just did.  So just not a big fan of how they did that whole scene but in the grand scheme of things, not a super big deal.

Apparently that change is deliberate.  Given this I get it.   I don’t mind changes from the game if it’s done to further develop / expand on a character’s growth. 

Spoiler

The idea behind the change according to the producers was to show how attached Joel is already becoming to Ellie - because of the natural similarity to Sarah, triggered 20 yrs later.   But the writers also wanted to establish a link with how the 2 view their relationship through the lens of violence.   For those that haven’t played the games don’t read further.

OK you were warned….

The willingness for Joel to protect Ellie that we see grow over time in LOU1 then gets reciprocated in LOU 2 by Ellie.    You get 15-20 hrs to get that deep bond established in the game.  You only get 7-8 in the series S1.   So they wanted to FF this and this scene is the first real chance to do it.   And adding the touch where he knew the guard only reinforces how triggered Joel is to protect Ellie because of the Sarah-age connection.   

Bill’s Town and the rest of Boston doesn’t give the same chance.   It’s only until they get to Pittsburgh that you get a similar chance, and there it’s opponents with no backstory - so I kinda get it.    

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 7:47 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Felt like too much of a slog. Story was fine from what little I remember of it, but the constant sneaking around bored me. Think I got to a garage where I was upside down when I stopped playing.

Can't wait to see how they do that scene!! 

I get it though, if you're not into the stealth the game requires, it won't be for you. 

Didn't think this was spoilery so I left it open. If y'all think differently, I'll edit it

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

7 hours ago, Broncofan said:
Spoiler

And adding the touch where he knew the guard only reinforces how triggered Joel is to protect Ellie because of the Sarah-age connection

Spoiler

I think there’s a dab of him feeling like he failed his daughter by not protecting her back then even though it was out of his hands once the guy had the drop on them. Also thought his assault on the guy in modern day was a PTSD trigger more than just him being super duper angry

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ty21 said:
  Hide contents

I think there’s a dab of him feeling like he failed his daughter by not protecting her back then even though it was out of his hands once the guy had the drop on them. Also thought his assault on the guy in modern day was a PTSD trigger more than just him being super duper angry

Spoiler

For sure it's PTSD, but it's also pretty clear by the flashback he was determined to not let the same thing happen to Ellie.  It's speeding up the bond that formed in the game.

Incredible episode. I can't even go into details right now. Still trying to take it all in. Even fully knowing the plot points and what was going to happen.

The game emotionally latched on to me like tendrils for years. And now it looks like the show will too. 

I'm all in.

Edited by Nex_Gen
  • Like 1