The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

1 minute ago, Deadpulse said:

Im in this camp too

The aim here was character development and it was done well 

It’s like Joel got his in a way with Sarah and the pilot, showing us why he is the way he is. So why not Ellie as well? Plus, I think it ties nicely together at the end when she doesn’t leave or gives up.

17 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Nice!

Have you been listening to the official episode podcasts?

I avoid anything online for the show except reviews so I don’t get spoiled.   Even though I’ve played the game I prefer to be spoiler free on future ep content from official sources.  

With reviews they’ll almost always warn future content.   Never can tell what’s safe podcast wise.  

Edited by Broncofan

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I avoid anything online for the show except reviews so I don’t get spoiled.   Even though I’ve played the game I prefer to be spoiler free on future ep content from official sources.  

With reviews they’ll almost always warn future content.   Never can tell what’s safe podcast wise.  

The official podcast is safe for listening. It's just Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann talking about the decision making for each episode after they air. 

Tbh, I think its only worth listening to along side of the show. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Xenos said:

It’s like Joel got his in a way with Sarah and the pilot, showing us why he is the way he is. So why not Ellie as well? Plus, I think it ties nicely together at the end when she doesn’t leave or gives up.

I guess people don't like that Ellie's took an entire episode and left us right where we were at the beginning, which I get as there are only two more episodes left in the season. Even with that though, it was far from a bad episode. 

20 minutes ago, JonStark said:

I guess people don't like that Ellie's took an entire episode and left us right where we were at the beginning, which I get as there are only two more episodes left in the season. Even with that though, it was far from a bad episode. 

No one said it was

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

53 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

No one said it was

I get no one has - just that that’s the only spot it makes sense to put the ep in.   Ellie’s biggest fears are now real and so it’s exactly the time to put it in there.   Any other time it would get more accusations of being filler.  At this point it fits in exactly where facing her fears would naturally bring the flashbacks as organic.  

IMO this background also fuels her determination for what’s coming up - up up until now she’s been afraid to be alone.   She’s always said she doesn’t know what to do and can’t do it without Joel.      She’s had heart crushing loss.  

Not only does she decide to stay but by the trailer we see she’s going to have to do things on her own, and without Joel there to guide her (no spoilers, from trailer alone).    This ep sets up the change in her mindset far more then just moving from ep6 to ep8 imo.   That’s a prediction so I guess we’ll see if it bears out or not.  Can’t wait!  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, skywindO2 said:

The official podcast is safe for listening. It's just Craig Mazin and Neil Druckmann talking about the decision making for each episode after they air. 

Tbh, I think its only worth listening to along side of the show. 

Yeah I love ep commentary as you watch.   Not so much the post mortem unless it’s a season finale.   

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I get no one has - just that that’s the only spot it makes sense to put the ep in.   Ellie’s biggest fears are now real and so it’s exactly the time to put it in there.   Any other time it would get more accusations of being filler.  At this point it fits in exactly where facing her fears would naturally bring the flashbacks as organic.  

IMO thid background also fuels her determination for what’s coming up - up up until now she’s been afraid to be alone.   She’s always said she doesn’t know what to do and can’t do it without Joel.      She’s had heart crushing loss.  

Not only does she decide to stay but by the trailer we see she’s going to have to do things on her own, and without Joel there to guide her (no spoilers, from trailer alone).    This ep sets up the change in her mindset far more then just moving from ep6 to ep8 imo.   That’s a prediction so I guess we’ll see if it bears out or not.  Can’t wait!  

I meant no one said it was bad episode. It's okay to admit that this show can be mid at times. It's certainly not a 10/10 every week.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I meant no one said it was bad episode. It's okay to admit that this show can be mid at times. It's certainly not a 10/10 every week.

Completely fair.  IMO Ep3 & Ep5/6 are the peak.   This isn’t in that territory at all.  My comments were more directed at the Q on putting the ep there.   That part wasn’t directed to you TBF but more to @JonStark’s comments on ppl asking why so much for Ellie flashbacks and why now.   It’s been mentioned a couple of times and it’s a common online criticism made - but not by you.   Hazards of multi-quoting replies lol.  

Ep4 imo ranks as the lowest by far.   I also rank the character driven eps far more than most - it’s why my fave VG’s are story / character driven more than pure gameplay.  It’s a bias that’s more on my end (and why JRPG’s and story driven games get my love).   

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Didn't know you speak for everyone outside this message board. I've heard plenty say it was bad because it wasn't "on the level of the other episodes". 

The level of offense taken here is pretty wild. No one on this forum said it was bad. I'm obviously not speaking on behalf of everyone in the world who watched it where nothing ever would have 100% consensus.

1 hour ago, Bullet Club said:

The level of offense taken here is pretty wild. No one on this forum said it was bad. I'm obviously not speaking on behalf of everyone in the world who watched it where nothing ever would have 100% consensus.

Hard to take offense on a message board about a TV show.

A few friends said it was bad and one coworker said it "kinda sucked because it wasn't on the level of the others". I was just saying the hate confused me and I enjoyed it. Not sure why you're so defensive here. 

6 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Hard to take offense on a message board about a TV show.

A few friends said it was bad and one coworker said it "kinda sucked because it wasn't on the level of the others". I was just saying the hate confused me and I enjoyed it. Not sure why you're so defensive here. 

This show doesn't mean enough to me to be defensive about it. If you liked it, cool. Plenty of people did. If you're curious why people didn't, none of whom happen to be here, go ask them.