The Last Of Us - HBO ***No Game Spoilers***

Broncofan

On 2/21/2023 at 10:29 AM, minutemancl said:

As a new dad, these heart wrenching situations surrounding Joel and Ellie/Sarah are hitting pretty hard.

Agreed. I wrote this on another forum:

****Spoiler****

Spoiler

When Ellie lays her head on Joel's back while riding the horse toward the end of the episode- that's love, man. That's an "I love you man" gesture.

My son does that with me. He's only three, so big difference in age- but sometimes we'll have a cute moment where we're like 'Dude! I f***ing love you!'- and he'll rest his head on my shoulder for a second or I'll rest my head on his head. It's adorable.

I don't recall if they showed Joel's face when Ellie rested her head on his shoulder but given the fact he lost his daughter- I'm sure that gesture made him feel like a million bucks. He's probably longed for that feeling.

Those little moments just kick me in the nuts. Here you have a girl who has grown up in a completely **** world. All those little things we took for granted as kids and our kids take for granted- are just HUGE deals for her. The thought of airplanes just blew her mind. Then you have Joel, who has dealt with a ton of loss and remorse for actions he's done to survive, and you have two characters trying to protect themselves from being hurt by pushing people away, but they're getting closer and those little moments really captivate the progress they've made together.

I mean- I felt deep emotions just from her resting her head on his shoulder. It's such a small act, but that girl has felt like a 'tool to save humanity' rather than 'a girl who is loved by someone' for so long. Now she has a father figure who is starting to show those little acts of love. It's really cool.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

****Spoiler****

Spoiler

When Ellie lays her head on Joel's back while riding the horse toward the end of the episode- that's love, man. That's an "I love you man" gesture.

My son does that with me. He's only three, so big difference in age- but sometimes we'll have a cute moment where we're like 'Dude! I f***ing love you!'- and he'll rest his head on my shoulder for a second or I'll rest my head on his head. It's adorable.

I don't recall if they showed Joel's face when Ellie rested her head on his shoulder but given the fact he lost his daughter- I'm sure that gesture made him feel like a million bucks. He's probably longed for that feeling.

Those little moments just kick me in the nuts. Here you have a girl who has grown up in a completely **** world. All those little things we took for granted as kids and our kids take for granted- are just HUGE deals for her. The thought of airplanes just blew her mind. Then you have Joel, who has dealt with a ton of loss and remorse for actions he's done to survive, and you have two characters trying to protect themselves from being hurt by pushing people away, but they're getting closer and those little moments really captivate the progress they've made together.

I mean- I felt deep emotions just from her resting her head on his shoulder. It's such a small act, but that girl has felt like a 'tool to save humanity' rather than 'a girl who is loved by someone' for so long. Now she has a father figure who is starting to show those little acts of love. It's really cool.

The other part that the show's really nailed - is they've provided excellent continuity in realizing the biggest fears for Joel & Ellie that only adds to the angst viewers feel.

Ellie's greatest fear - ending up alone. 

Joel's greatest fear - being unable to protect Ellie.

Plus, we already know that Ellie's really nervous about whether or not the Fireflies can get a cure from her blood - her failure with Sam only heightens it.    Joel's panic attacks just are a manifestation of the fear - and that scene where he then sees what looks like an adult Sarah...with a granddaughter in tow......man, just hits you in all the feels.

The game was amazing at creating all these "little moments" where the 2 formed a bond - but they had 20+ hours to weave it in.   For the series to just nail the relationship and the dynamic down to a T - major bravo.  I know there are complaints that the show hasn't had enough action (or skipped seminal action moments), but I'd argue that you need to care about the characters and the world/story for the action moments to really hit home.   On that count, the series has been amazing that way.   IMO it makes it so much easier for the action moments to hit home runs, with all the set up they've done with the characters.   We'll see, but I'm very optimistic heading into the last 3 eps.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, WizeGuy said:

****Spoiler****

Reveal hidden contents

Please use the spoiler tag in the future

• Like 1

Was wondering how they'd incorporate the DLC into the show when you knew it would happen based on the previews.  

Wasn't my favorite episode but was still very good. The bar is just so high from previous episodes. Storm did an amazing job as Riley and Bella was perfect again. 

Let's just hope the first scene of the next episode isn't a little bunny. Don't need that in my life lol

Yes, it sounds spoilery but it's not and has no bearing on the story. 

• Like 1

These less than action packed episode are critical IMO and serve to broaden the story line in a good way.

Taken from a review: "in a continuation of a season-long question, if the only point of life is to keep finding ways to stay alive, with no time for anything other than survival, is that still a life worth living?"

• Like 3

I like seeing Elle’s backstory. It really shows why Elle doesn’t want to end up alone, why Sam’s death was even more heartbreaking for her and shoes why she’s all in on saving Joel and tried her hardest to save Sam.

IDK, it’d be like starting the series without showing the Joel/Sara story and relationship. Sure, the series would still be great had they not, but having that background paints the picture of the main characters we see today. The same way the first half of episode 1 showed why Joel is the man he is today and has that fear of being unable to protect Elle, is how I feel about that episode.

• Like 2