Tyron Smith out indefinitely w/ torn hamstring

WizardHawk

5 hours ago, textaz03 said:

Good luck to Tyron Smith on his rehab and maybe he can come back this season. Looks like we may be looking at a top 10 pick this year. 

However, Tyler Smith should get first look at LT. We just need to prepare for a ton of holding penalties from him. 

Tyler Smith / McGovern / Biadasz/ Martin / Steel

as our starting OLine 😫😫 Dak better make sure his legs are loosened up, he is going to need them more now than ever. And this run game will need to be top notch, will be our only saving grace!! 

Respectfully I think you sign a vet tackle.  I don't think Tyler Smith is ready for OT, let alone LT.  At some point yes but not now.  Then again Dallas' quality swing tackle can handle it.  Oops.

41 minutes ago, Northland said:

Respectfully I think you sign a vet tackle.  I don't think Tyler Smith is ready for OT, let alone LT.  At some point yes but not now.  Then again Dallas' quality swing tackle can handle it.  Oops.

You know who Tyler reminds me off? Flozell Adams. Flozell was strong at the point of attack and lacked athleticism. But yet still earned 5 pro bowls. Smith is also strong at the point of attack but is raw in technique. Hence the reason for his constant holding penalties in college. If Smith can be as good as Flozell was, solid but no super star, I would be ok with that.

Trial by 🔥 is what we will have to look forward too.  I imagine we will see him for an expanded playing time tomorrow at LT during the Seattle game. 

6 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

You know who Tyler reminds me off? Flozell Adams. Flozell was strong at the point of attack and lacked athleticism. But yet still earned 5 pro bowls. Smith is also strong at the point of attack but is raw in technique. Hence the reason for his constant holding penalties in college. If Smith can be as good as Flozell was, solid but no super star, I would be ok with that.

Trial by 🔥 is what we will have to look forward too.  I imagine we will see him for an expanded playing time tomorrow at LT during the Seattle game. 

I hope not.  Keep the kid at guard.  Sign a vet.

1 hour ago, Northland said:

I hope not.  Keep the kid at guard.  Sign a vet.

I’m leaning that way as well. I think….think…Tyler can succeed at LT, just not sure that time is now. That said, the FO put themselves i. This corner, if they ride with Tyler at LT so be it. I’m tired of getting too wrapped up in this team’s dealings.

1 hour ago, WizardHawk said:

I’m leaning that way as well. I think….think…Tyler can succeed at LT, just not sure that time is now. That said, the FO put themselves i. This corner, if they ride with Tyler at LT so be it. I’m tired of getting too wrapped up in this team’s dealings.

I'm looking at it objectively not emotionally.  My emotional involvement in Jerry's investment has diminished significantly.  That being said I don't think Tyler succeeds at OT right now.  His current skill set and development screams guard.  There is a reason Dallas viewed him inside.  Stick with that plan.

On 8/25/2022 at 12:09 PM, D82 said:

Which is just...absolutely asinine. Especially if their plan is to fire McCarthy after this year and hire Sean Payton - another retread who won a Super Bowl years ago. 

If you think you are moving on from the coaching staff next year, that would increase your desire to maintain maximum future flexibility.

I played inside. I played outside. I was locked in at RT at Notre Dame after my sophmore season. Take it from experience: They are two different sets of skills. And two different sets of habits.

For those clamouring for Tyler Smith to kick to the outside, please realize you are neutering your rookie in doing so. He has spent all summer working inside, getting it into his head who is next to him, what to watch for, what to key in on. To a rookie that makes your job so much easier. To change that on him now could set him back a whole season and make him play well below expectations.

3. 4. Even maybe 2 years from now. Sure, switching in and out should be no prob for him. But let this kid get settled first.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

If you think you are moving on from the coaching staff next year, that would increase your desire to maintain maximum future flexibility.

Agreed - although I am not sold on the media coverage of Payton->Dallas. If Sean wanted to come here, he would already be here. And if Jerry wanted it as much, it would also already be done. Jerry pays for what he wants and asks how much AFTER its been paid. He has proven that. And Sean is beloved in New Orleans..if he requested moving forward elsewhere, that ownership would have thrown him a Goodbye party full of tears, but they would have honored his request.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Smith was a LT in college. It’s not completely foreign to him

No...but college to the NFL is a big transition, especially when you've been taking all your reps at a different position. 

9 minutes ago, D82 said:

No...but college to the NFL is a big transition, especially when you've been taking all your reps at a different position. 

True. Just pointing out it might be easier to transition back than it would for a guy that had never done it. 

On 8/29/2022 at 8:27 PM, DaBoys said:

Smith was a LT in college. It’s not completely foreign to him

Let me tell you from experience...going from OT in HS to NCAA is a tremendous jump. Going from OT in NCAA to NFL is even bigger. It is why we see a lot of the larger, stronger, less ballet-dancer types move inside with each step up in competition. You go from just barely being nimble enough to counter that rush move from a faster, lighter, more athletic defender to him blowing right past you with ease.

I know common perception, especially with the advent of video game football and the limited success of rare cases moving around the line, is that offensive line is offensive line. It is NOT. Even going from LG to RG can be a huge change for a player, especially a young one. I played RT, and had my share of trials at RG and even as a TE because with my bad knees my athleticism on outside sometimes wavered, our flourished depending how good they felt. And i firmly believe that jumping around seriously hurt my chances at being a full time starter later in my college career, because each practice routine is not the same. And just as you acclimate to one thing, you find yourself scrapping everything you just learned. Not ideal for a young player. And it really, really makes it hard on one of those guys with the experience outside but the skills for inside (a la Tyler).

In my opinion, signing a vet is the best option. But in my gut, I think Jerry is eager to see if he can clear Tyrons cap hit next season by making McCarthy throw Tyler into the fire and see what happens. 

Honestly, Ive already subscribed to the gimme-the-high-first-rounder fan club for this season.

Edited by Dallas94Ware

Well rest easy everyone. Cowboys management have entered contract negotiations with Jason Peters.

We can wheel him out there in a chair and prop him up. At least the DE will have to run around him. That should buy Dak about .05 of a second.

While we are at it, why dont we dig up Mark Tuinei and sign him to a 1 year deal?

This is just laughable (Peters not Tuinei, although that was pretty funny too, that is if you are from my generation).

No, JP is twice as injury prone as T. Smith. We will be lucky to get 1 game out if him in any scenario.

If he is insurance for Tyler Smith or if he starts, it's like putting a wet paper towel on an open wound.

Once again our fearless FO is leading us to a mirage in a vast wasteland of desert.

Go Boys.

Edited by Rtnldave

1 hour ago, Rtnldave said:

Well rest easy everyone. Cowboys management have entered contract negotiations with Jason Peters.

We can wheel him out there in a chair and prop him up. At least the DE will have to run around him. That should buy Dak about .05 of a second.

While we are at it, why dont we dig up Mark Tuinei and sign him to a 1 year deal?

This is just laughable (Peters not Tuinei, although that was pretty funny too, that is if you are from my generation).

No, JP is twice as injury prone as T. Smith. We will be lucky to get 1 game out if him in any scenario.

If he is insurance for Tyler Smith or if he starts, it's like putting a wet paper towel on an open wound.

Once again our fearless FO is leading us to a mirage in a vast wasteland of desert.

Go Boys.

I'll give them credit for going with Peters (if they sign him). He's probably the best available lineman right now, and he actually graded out as Chicago's best lineman last year. 

Now...that may not be saying much, but...it still shows he's got the ability. Plus, it lets them keep Tyler at guard which is probably a good thing or his development right now...and Peters is a great player to learn from.