Titans Release Brett Kern

KingTitan

4 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Very unhappy with this move. Got rid of a top 3 punter because new guy has a stronger leg. I could see it if Kern hadn’t looked good in preseason, but the guy was nails as always. Just makes no sense. 

Not necessarily true, it’s the same way kern latched on with us, Hentrich was going out sooner than later & kern been around I believe with the broncos had a strong leg but struggled with ball placement, & learned a lot from Craig. But back to the point it’s about value kern has passed his prime how long do you want to hold on to him for sentimental value 

14 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Very unhappy with this move. Got rid of a top 3 punter because new guy has a stronger leg. I could see it if Kern hadn’t looked good in preseason, but the guy was nails as always. Just makes no sense. 

Stonehouse might be around for the next decade so while I agree, Kern is probably a little better right now Stonehouse will be good for years to come.  Kern might not be in the league many more years.  Stonehouse also showed he can eventually be pretty good at nailing those kicks as well.  Just needs more consistency.  

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Ugh.  Should have done the big brain move of keeping two punters to force a trade.

He was the best punter in the league for a good stretch.  He will be missed.

But I wish him all the failures in the world as a member of the Bills.

This was my thought as well. But then again... maybe punters don't have a ton of trade value? I can't think of many punters getting traded to use as reference. 

1 minute ago, proud said:

This was my thought as well. But then again... maybe punters don't have a ton of trade value? I can't think of many punters getting traded to use as reference. 

That's probably what it is.  I know they're pretty much throwaway, but I would have thought that the unique situation of one of the league's best punters being available, with two teams who think they're in contention for playoffs desperately needing one might be enough to make it so.  Even if it's not a lot, I would think they'd be willing to at least give up a late round pick or a swap or something.

Obviously, the Titans FO aren't total idiots who wouldn't think of something like that, so it's probably just that it wouldn't really work that way.  Even though it seems like it should.

21 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Stonehouse might be around for the next decade so while I agree, Kern is probably a little better right now Stonehouse will be good for years to come.  Kern might not be in the league many more years.  Stonehouse also showed he can eventually be pretty good at nailing those kicks as well.  Just needs more consistency.  

This is all wishful thinking, though. Stonehouse could shank his first 10 punts and we could be looking for a new punter mid season. I’ll take the experienced proven commodity when it comes to kickers over the shiny new toy with jagged edges.