Week 1 GDT: San Francisco 49ers vs Chicago Bears

J-ALL-DAY

Mills is going to end up being a very solid QB for years to come. Did not see the Jaguars game at all but Lawrence at one point seemed to have good passing stats. Wonder what happened there? No surprise about Lance and Fields. Honestly, Fields made a great play escaping the sack on the Pettis TD, but aside from that play and the play where he flipped it to the back, he had a very rough outing. But in those conditions against this defense, he was never going to have a great game..Credit to him for making the plays when he had to secure the win for the Bears. 

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Honestly, I didn't see the pass blocking being that bad yesterday. Were they great? No, but they were good enough. Lance was able to make some plays with his legs and maneuvered well in the pocket, but blaming the OL kind of gets old. Our run blocking when Mitchell was in the game was great. It did fall off afterwards a bit but some of that was also on Wilson who made it look worse than it actually was. Banks/McGlinchey both had one really bad rep in pass blocking but aside from that they seemed fine. I'll pay attention more to them when the coaches film is available. 

The offense had damn near no problem moving the ball until the conditions got very bad. We just didn't take advantage of our opportunities, that's all. 

35% pressure rate without a blitz is pretty bad. The pressure rate itself isn't awful (13 pressures on 35 drop backs)...there were definitely QBs who had it worse...but when you're getting that kind of pressure rate sending 4, the QB is in trouble. That's probably the biggest issue. I think this team has to look hard at replacing Banks in the coming weeks. The rest of it may manage just fine. It was exacerbated in this game because Trent Williams was low key not great (McG was also bad in pass pro). 

(FWIW, I haven't verified the lack of a blitz thing...Biderman mentioned it on his pod, so I'm assuming that it's valid) 

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Totaled "only" 14 pressures when Fields had what, 20-22 dropbacks including the sacks and scrambles? How many more pressures were there to be had? Lol.

Not taking anything away from this one because it is what it is, but the Kinlaw number is probably the most Kinlaw thing ever. He had two pressures, which I believe happened on the first two plays where he looked like an indestructible force of nature, then didn't generate another pressure for the game apparently. That really is the most kinlaw thing ever lol. 

But side note, he was played multiple screens extremely well. Overall he played a solid game. 

• Like 1

Lance has to get rid of the ball faster. He just does. And I'm talking substantially faster. Like maybe a full half a second faster than what he has shown in his first 3.5 games or so. That should come with experience - processing and reading faster. But in the meantime, it's definitely going to put the line in a situation where they look worse than they are maybe actually performing. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not taking anything away from this one because it is what it is, but the Kinlaw number is probably the most Kinlaw thing ever. He had two pressures, which I believe happened on the first two plays where he looked like an indestructible force of nature, then didn't generate another pressure for the game apparently. That really is the most kinlaw thing ever lol. 

But side note, he was played multiple screens extremely well. Overall he played a solid game. 

He was limping around between plays after getting hurt. Wasn’t 100% and I think it probably effected his play. 

• Like 2

Just now, straighthate said:

He was limping around between plays after getting hurt. Wasn’t 100% and I think it probably effected his play. 

This is the other most Kinlaw thing ever if we are being honest lol 

But he was pretty good yesterday, he really was. 

• Like 1

35% pressure rate without a blitz is pretty bad. The pressure rate itself isn't awful (13 pressures on 35 drop backs)...there were definitely QBs who had it worse...but when you're getting that kind of pressure rate sending 4, the QB is in trouble. That's probably the biggest issue. I think this team has to look hard at replacing Banks in the coming weeks. The rest of it may manage just fine. It was exacerbated in this game because Trent Williams was low key not great (McG was also bad in pass pro). 

(FWIW, I haven't verified the lack of a blitz thing...Biderman mentioned it on his pod, so I'm assuming that it's valid) 

I mean "pressures" itself can be a subjective stat. Lance also had 3.22 TTT so you will see more pressures because of that. I mean part of that was Lance bailing out the OL by escaping pressure but nothing about that game showed me a OL that was getting destroyed or terrible. Did the Bears get heat late in the game? Sure, but they knew there was no run threat and that's what usually happens. 

Kinlaw only had 15 pass rushes and there were two screen plays. There just weren't going to be a whole a lot of pressures yesterday with Fields barely attempting any passes and half of them seemed like play actions where the DL was playing the run. 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Lance has to get rid of the ball faster. He just does. And I'm talking substantially faster. Like maybe a full half a second faster than what he has shown in his first 3.5 games or so. That should come with experience - processing and reading faster. But in the meantime, it's definitely going to put the line in a situation where they look worse than they are maybe actually performing. 

He struggled finding space and reading the screen game.  There were a lot of screen passes that he just threw at people's feet.  He did better when he had time to read the defense and let the route develop.

The screen game is very important to the offense.  I hope he is able to shore up the timing on those very soon.  

I'm guessing that lance wasn't sitting in the pocket holding onto the ball too long, but he was just better in deep developing play action passes than in the screen game, but I will have a better idea after I rewatch the game.   

This was Bank's first game, so hopefully he improvs there.  Brendal getting put on rolller skates a couple of times could be an issue.  McGlinchy is also an issue in pass pro.  He seems to be getting slightly worse in pass protection over his career.  Burford played well, so that is promising.  

Wilson Jr.  looked pretty slow out there.  He used to have an ultra quick burst, but he just doesn't seem to get going quite fast enough.  I know it is not the most impactful roster decision, but maybe we shoulda kept Hasty as the 3rd down back.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

Okay...do i think that there is any poor intent here? 100% not. Sometimes you just don't think about things...but come on, its an awful look LOL

AWFUL look, especially for McGlinchey who got embarrassed on that play and led to Lance getting rag dolled. And what does he do about that? Freaking sprints as fast as possible to the sidelines SMH! 

• Like 1