Week 1 GDT: San Francisco 49ers vs Chicago Bears

J-ALL-DAY

There were some tough week 1 losses around the NFL this week. 

-Cowboys got handled and Dak got injured

-Cards lost by 3 TD's to the Chiefs

-Titans lost in heart breaking fashion to the Giants

-Packers got handled by the Vikings

-Pats lost by 2 TDs to the Dolphins

-Bengals lost in heart breaking fashion to the Steelers

-Rams got blown out by the Bills

Our loss was tough but at leas there were extenuating circumstances with the excessive penalties and monsoon type weather. Neither of which are likely to be replicated this year

28 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

There were some tough week 1 losses around the NFL this week. 

-Cowboys got handled and Dak got injured

-Cards lost by 3 TD's to the Chiefs

-Titans lost in heart breaking fashion to the Giants

-Packers got handled by the Vikings

-Pats lost by 2 TDs to the Dolphins

-Bengals lost in heart breaking fashion to the Steelers

-Rams got blown out by the Bills

Our loss was tough but at leas there were extenuating circumstances with the excessive penalties and monsoon type weather. Neither of which are likely to be replicated this year

Don't rule out the penalties sticking. We've had really bad penalty seasons under shanny before, I'm pretty sure. 17 and 18 I think we were up toward the top. 

We are a fringe playoff team most likely. Something around .500. Teams like that lose games like this and we will probably win a game we have no business winning later on. 

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Don't rule out the penalties sticking. We've had really bad penalty seasons under shanny before, I'm pretty sure. 17 and 18 I think we were up toward the top. 

We are a fringe playoff team most likely. Something around .500. Teams like that lose games like this and we will probably win a game we have no business winning later on. 

Penalties may stick, but i doubt we'll have 3-4 unsportsmanlike penalties every week. We can survive just about any other penalty except PI

8 hours ago, John232 said:

cmon bro push it 

I've noticed there are times Lance throws without driving the ball through his legs/hips. There was one today where his backfoot was completely in the air but his front foot was planted. 

He's got a strong arm so he's really not letting it rip sometimes and trying too hard to place the ball. 

I was hoping he would have the arm strength to push it down field in these conditions, but it was tough considering how the interior OL played 

One game doesn't make a season and I am very confident we have a get right game next week.

I think the team will be comfortable at home and I honestly expect us to have a good home record this year for a change. 

6 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Do y'all think we should bench Greenlaw for Burks?

No. I mean Greenlaw had those bonehead penalties but he's a much better player than Burks. He just has to be more disciplined. 

One thing I will say is that majority of the defensive starters saw no preseason action so that could have led to a few of the penalties. Need to get down from 12 penalties for 99 yards to 6 penalties for 50-55 yards. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

No. I mean Greenlaw had those bonehead penalties but he's a much better player than Burks. He just has to be more disciplined. 

One thing I will say is that majority of the defensive starters saw no preseason action so that could have led to a few of the penalties. Need to get down from 12 penalties for 99 yards to 6 penalties for 50-55 yards. 

Seems like  the first two games of the season are like preseason now. Takes a minute for guys to get adjusted back to game speed and the intensity needed to execute at a high level.

23 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Seems like  the first two games of the season are like preseason now. Takes a minute for guys to get adjusted back to game speed and the intensity needed to execute at a high level.

Pretty much but that's the risk you take resting your starters in preseason. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

At what point is he hurting the team more than helping though? Yesterday he had the face mask, late hit, and multiple blown coverages. Do you think we lose this game if Pettis doesn't get a free TD? I don't.

& this isn't new with him. I could be wrong, but I feel like he had at least one boneheaded play in each of the playoff games last year

Edited by adamq

2 minutes ago, adamq said:

At what point is he hurting the team more than helping though? Yesterday he had the face mask, late hit, and multiple blown coverages. Do you think we lose this game if Pettis doesn't get a free TD? I don't.

& this isn't new with him. I'm probably wrong, but I feel like he had at least one boneheaded play in each of the playoff games last year

I wouldn't say he had multiple blown coverages. The second TD he could have had more depth but he took the crossing route but that one is probably on Hufanga. I have to wait until the coaches film comes out to see what happened there. 

No doubt that Greenlaw's face mask penalty allowed the Bears to comeback and ultimately win the game. If the drive is ended there, I don't think this is ever a game. No argument there. 

But let's just let the season play out and see what happens. If he continues to commit penalties then give him a demotion as the 3rd LB. Yesterday the base defense played majority of the snaps so all three LBs were on the field at the same time but that won't be the case every week.

One thing that was very promising was the sticky coverage of Mooney. My goodness does he not give the WR any separation at all lol. Complete lockdown yesterday when tested and the other corners didn't even see a target come their way.

Terrible loss, no other way around it but now have to handle business with the Seahawks. The one silver lining is the NFC does not seem to overly strong this season so we will never be out of the playoff race. 

• Like 1

So, recap from a rather miserable day. 

1. Talanoa Hufanga: He was everywhere and was the beating heart of the team's defensive effort. In the first half, when the Bears offensive gameplan was hideously vanilla, Hufanga was the first to react and sniff it out. His interception is one of the things he brings to the defense over Tartt - he's been a turnover machine ever since high school. Obviously, there will be games where he is tested deeper and in space coverage wise, but he was perfect for this game. 

2. 49ers ground game prior to Mitchell injury: It was diverse, the QB wrinkles were better blocked and better executed, Deebo was included well, and it was making all of the difference on a day when throwing the ball was going to be rough. The difference in creativity and execution of the running game was the main reason the team was dominating the football game and up ten points. 

3. Trey Lance: He missed a key touchdown throw on the first drive that was immediately followed up with a Deebo fumble. But after that he hit on a series of nice passes and escaped pressure. He's rather like Jimmy G in this point in his career in terms of what you can expect from him in that he's going to look very good in good conditions and very bad in bad ones. Lance is better at sack avoidance, but he's still just as terrible as Jimmy was during pressured dropbacks because instead of firing hope balls too quickly or taking sacks, Lance gets by the first rusher and drops his head and runs around chaotically before throwing the ball away or throwing it erratically from an awkward angle too often. But with his feet set, Lance was better than last year for most of the game. The only glaring miss other than the touchdown miss prior to the monsoon was on a screen pass when the ball clearly just slipped out (which also happened to Fields on a similar play). Lance was significantly more effective in the quarterback run game than he was last year. He was patient on the gap runs and the kickout blocks got there. He ran over Roquon Smith on a short yardage play when Burford missed a block. It was an up and down day that I'm sure will get all of the scrutiny (as it probably should). 

4. Interior offensive line: While the team's gamble on Hufanga came up aces today, the interior offensive line gamble crapped out. Banks fell over backwards before holding on one rep. Burford got skunked on at least two others. McGlinchey struggled with Trevis Gipson. It was a team bad effort in terms of pass blocking. In terms of run blocking, I thought everything went quite well (although the Bears are a light, fast defense built to deal with the pass). 

5. Jeff Wilson: Desperately slow. Indecisive. Not powerful. Not good. 

6. Defensive penalties: They were killer, but as mentioned by other posters, it is rough on week one when most of the guys have sat for the preseason (and the field was a slip-n-slide). I'll be more concerned if they continue in future weeks. 

• Like 2

By the way, not that Jennings is a great player or anything, but all camp we heard of how he struggled and did nothing. Well, yesterday he made some big 3rd down conversions and did what he usually does. I've never heard him standing out in camp but in actual games he does produce well for a 3rd WR. He's a gamer and there's a reason Shanny likes him as WR3. I just wish going forward we find ways to get McCloud the ball more. 

Aiyuk got a BS penalty call but he looked good and needs more target. Not worried there.

Kittle has become the most underrated player on the team as I mentioned a few weeks ago and he just can't be replaced. Really hope he gets healthy soon. He has a chance to be in the receiving end of at least 10 30+ receptions this season. 

For the life of me I did not understand why Mason got no carries yesterday. Please give him at the very least an equal distribution share as Wilson for as long as Mitchell is out. What are we even doing here? 

• Like 2

So do the Cowboys call and make a move for Jimmy? Would Jimmy want to go there or would he rather stay here as a backup and wait his turn if Lance was to get hurt? Dak is likely going to be missing around two months, if not more. The Cowboys have a solid roster so Jimmy can help them potentially make the playoffs and be in line for a good payday this offseason. The Cowboys also have the cap space available to fit him in, not that it was going to be a big problem with the restructure. 

Lynch and Shanny are probably thinking damnit, why could Dak get hurt two weeks ago opposed to now lol.