Week 1: Eagles vs Lions (Let the season begin)

Nabbs4u

Screen-Shot-2022-09-12-at-1.21.08-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2022-09-12-at-4.15.17-PM.png

Positives from this:

• Jalen Hurts passing grade
  • AJ Brown receiving grade
  • RBs rush grades
  • Marlon Tuipulotu's pass rush grade (along with Sweat, Cox and Hargrave too)
  • Jordan Davis was great in limited snaps. There is no way he should play less than 30 snaps a game.
  • Kelce still is great.
  • White killed it in coverage (huge upgrade from Singleton in that department) Slay was great in coverage despite giving up that TD where he was in good position but just missed the ball trying to play through the arms of the receiver. Bradberry was solid in coverage it looks like too.
  • Good to see Brandon Graham grade out solidly in his first action back from an Achilles.

Negatives from this:

• Mailata (made key block to spring late Sanders run) and guards had an eh game from their grading.
  • Seems like Epps and Gardner-Johnson struggled in this one, but I think safety is a hard position for PFF to grade. We need them to be better in week 2 against the Vikings passing attack. 
  • Tackling was awful across the board for the most part. Only players on defense who seemed to tackle well were DL like Davis, Tuipulotu, Graham, Sweat, and Cox. The only other player to tackle well who wasn't a DL was Marcus Epps, but his coverage grade had him come out of the game with a lower grade. The reason I wanted Marcus Williams so much going into FA was I thought he could be the perfect young-ish guy to bring in to patrol deep and allow Epps to play closer to the LOS where he's more effective as a run defender / sound tackler. 

5 hours ago, Danger said:

I'm not going to fault Jalen Hurts for how he played Sunday, my only real gripe would have been he probably ought to get Smitty involved some.

Personally I thought Hurts played very well outside of that first drive. Ran a tad too much and definitely want to see him go through his reads more (though that's hard to do when lions are blitzing so much). However, my biggest knock on him last season was that he was very hesitant in throwing and would always deliver late balls. He seemed much more decisive this game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Danger said:

I'm not going to fault Jalen Hurts for how he played Sunday, my only real gripe would have been he probably ought to get Smitty involved some.

Hurts played one of the more impressive games I've seen from his an Eagle on Sunday.

He's the main reason we are sitting at 1-0 right now.

1 hour ago, Daimonas said:

Personally I thought Hurts played very well outside of that first drive. Ran a tad too much and definitely want to see him go through his reads more (though that's hard to do when lions are blitzing so much). However, my biggest knock on him last season was that he was very hesitant in throwing and would always deliver late balls. He seemed much more decisive this game. 

I didn't even hink he ran too much unnecessarily. Hurts mainly ran cause pressure got through too quick.

He was more decisive, he was accurate, he made the play calls right with his legs even when stuff was covered or rushers broke through too fast, and he threw the ball a bunch over the middle to AJ Brown. He was blitzed the 2nd MOST in the NFL on Sunday and made 0 turnover worthy plays. I liked the placement on the 40+ yard throw to AJ. Made a nice tight window throw to AJ on a slant in between 2 Lions defenders. Had a throw fading away to his left away from the rush and tried hitting DeVonta who couldn't make the sideline catch which is something I expect from him as that's what he does (see the Washington game last year with the sideline toe tap).

7 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

Would like to see Hurts attempt more than 2 passes over 15 air yards.

I would too, but sometimes that's just how it goes.

Sometimes how a defense is playing you just dictates more short to intermediate like QBs playing against Gannon with soft coverages and living in a 2 high world trying to take away big plays.

Jalen isn't a guy afraid to pass it deep.

elCblpg.png

IAY/PA is Intended Air Yards Per Pass Attempt and Jalen was 4th among all QBs last year.

Problem was his accuracy deep was pretty bad at throws 20+. His mechanics & timing let him down too often. 

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

pass-chart_HUR767022_2022-REG-1_1662927734621.jpeg

So much better to see this, him using more of the field, though yeah would like to see a little more throws a bit further down the field. But much better than the sort of things we saw last season.

Was waiting for the throw chart to get posted.

I figured it would look kinda like this. He attacked basically every area pretty evenly.

Still waiting for the All 22 to drop later today to see how Detroit was playing us with their safeties to see if there was more opportunities for deep passes, but with Detroit blitzing the 2nd most in the league yesterday and the amount of pressure that got through I can completely understand why there was a lower ADOT.

9 minutes ago, Danger said:

He was definitely more decisive Sunday than in 2021. Hopefully he can keep that up. Maybe he is processing the field faster? I'm hoping so at least.

I mean that was the main takeaway from beat reporters at camp it seemed. He was targetting the middle of the field a bit more and was getting the ball out quicker and going through his reads better. I think year 2 in the same system while it got reported about a little too much after a while... (I had been highlighting this point since last offseason.... I'm just saying) really was an important factor and not just a talking point. He definitely looks more comfortable.