2023 NFL draft thread

Forge

Just now, Forge said:

The difference in prospect evaluations in this range isn't big enough for me to make a three for one trade. 

100%. We have a bunch of holes to fill both for this year and the years after and trading up to the back of the 2nd doesn't mean we will fill a hole like we probably are going to have at RT. Most of our starters are pretty much set but after that we still have a bunch of positions where we either just need better players or just need bodies with the amount of free agents we have coming up. Draft 2/3 safeties and see who sticks next to Hufanga and whoever we either retain or bring in in FA. Bring in some edge guys to compete after Bosa, Jackson and whoever we are able to retain/bring in. Draft a LB, draft a WR or two to compete with Jennings and Gray, grab a CB to compete with Thomas, grab a LB to compete for even the third spot with Burks and DFF.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GW21 said:

Just watched a 2 min hightlight reel of his and he kind of gives me Jordan Reed type vibes. Maybe a little bit of Dallas Clark. 

I wish he wasn't so much of a body catcher, but he's a good athlete and coming from Iowa, I know that he'll be a willing blocker moving forward (little on the light side, so he may be run through a time or two). But it's time to starting looking into a TE2 and potential long term replacement for Kittle and I think he'll go in rounds 3-4, so a comp 3rd seems about right. Woerner hasn't progressed and I think Dwelley's time is done. I don't think that the ideal situation would be to keep rolling a guy like Kroft in the line up 

• Like 2

On 1/18/2023 at 3:58 PM, Forge said:

I wish he wasn't so much of a body catcher, but he's a good athlete and coming from Iowa, I know that he'll be a willing blocker moving forward (little on the light side, so he may be run through a time or two). But it's time to starting looking into a TE2 and potential long term replacement for Kittle and I think he'll go in rounds 3-4, so a comp 3rd seems about right. Woerner hasn't progressed and I think Dwelley's time is done. I don't think that the ideal situation would be to keep rolling a guy like Kroft in the line up 

Laporta has that same mentality Kittle brings.. always looking for a man to block, as a receiver he fights for absolutely everything, and had to in that horrid Petras-led offense all year. A ton of his targets were short passes/dump offs and the red zone was a foreign country to the Hawkeyes. He did still manage to finish 4th among all CFB TEs in yardage this season.

I would be thrilled if we got him in the 3rd

• Like 1

1 minute ago, adamq said:

Laporta has that same mentality Kittle brings.. always looking for a man to block, as a receiver he fights for absolutely everything, and had to in that horrid Petras-led offense all year. A ton of his targets were short passes/dump offs and the red zone was a foreign country to the Hawkeyes. He did still manage to finish 4th among all CFB TEs in yardage this season.

I would be thrilled if we got him in the 3rd

I've slowly started building a list of guys that I'm really interested around that area. There is so long to go before senior bowl / combine / pro days so things are going to get far more jumbled as we go. 

But Laporta is way up there on guys I would like. 

Luke Wypler. Brandon Joseph. Siaki Ika (not sure that he fits what the defense wants...but I really want a dude like this just to have). Eku Leota. 

I don't know if I would take him in round 3 because of his age, but I'm kind of interest in Carter Warren as a tackle. Seems like the type of guy that we really like too. Ton of starts in his college career. 

Almost posted this in the Philly game thread butI didn't want it to get buried so I decided to post it here because it has to do with the draft too. But the guys spend a good 20 minutes talking about some very good nuggets regarding Brock. (and parts of an old predraft interview with Brock as well)

Edited by Ftn49

14 hours ago, oldman9er said:

2023 GAME ROSTER – NFLPA Collegiate Bowl

2 days to go. I dunno if televised like usual or who most prospects are, but I'm glad I checked the date. 

I checked my local schedule and nothing there. They don't even say how it will be broadcast. That's a shame because I love pre-draft football to gauge how prospects match up vs. each other. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, oldman9er said:

2023 GAME ROSTER – NFLPA Collegiate Bowl

2 days to go. I dunno if televised like usual or who most prospects are, but I'm glad I checked the date. 

4 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I checked my local schedule and nothing there. They don't even say how it will be broadcast. That's a shame because I love pre-draft football to gauge how prospects match up vs. each other. 

It sill be on nfl network at 6 pm eastern tomorrow

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adamq said:

My guess is Chicago will trade back and we will see QB at 1, 2, and then maybe again at 4 to Indy. What order do they go in? Which is your guy's favorite?

If Chicago trades out of 1, and Houston is determined to get a QB, I think that they would be wise to call Seattle and see if they can flip to 5. Seattle could desperately use Jalen carter, and at 5, Houston would still be guaranteed Levis / Stroud / Anderson / Carter (assuming Young goes 1.1). 

Seattle has the extra picks from Denver, so it's a good opportunity 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

If Chicago trades out of 1, and Houston is determined to get a QB, I think that they would be wise to call Seattle and see if they can flip to 5. Seattle could desperately use Jalen carter, and at 5, Houston would still be guaranteed Levis / Stroud / Anderson / Carter (assuming Young goes 1.1). 

Seattle has the extra picks from Denver, so it's a good opportunity 

Why do you hate me?

This is a good sign for Brents. He was an older developer (RS junior and senior years) and projects as a zone corner. If he's not getting destroyed in one on ones, he could get some hype as a more versatile corner. But may be available in the third round for us