2023 NFL draft thread

Forge

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us stay put. I don't know that there is a huge discrepancy between the talent where we are picking 3 times and the end of the second. We lost a decent amount of guys this offseason. 

If we do move up I hope it's for a guy like Emmanuel Forbes who I think could be a game changer, but may fall due to his size. 

With as many picks as we have in the third round this year and next (3 more) plus having our first and second back next season, with this roster, I think that they could make a move for talent. Not sure I agree with it....would rather just throw darts at this draft class because I don't think its very good.

I just can't take Forbes. Too much of an outlier for me. His skill is real, but his success at that weight would be historical lol. I do think that we are trending, as a league, where these guys are going to start working out, but I want to see it first. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think Freeland has to wait a year unless you're really going to hide him in pass protection. End of the second makes more sense to me for him and I couldn't take him over Harrison who is just a better prospect imo. 

I thought about Kincaid, but really didn't sit right with me with the positional value and immediate impact of Harrison

RIIIIIGHT...at 33, that really isn't enough of a drop to take Freeland. Forgot the context. And then I was thinking "Harrison, who is that?" Chagrin time when I realized it was my Sooners starting LT for the last couple of seasons. Mea culpa. But it's no wonder I didn't recall who he was: I never had an issue with him! The steadiest part of our Offense, period. Yes, I would take him over Kincaid, too. 

Edited by Chrissooner49er
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, GW21 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see us stay put. I don't know that there is a huge discrepancy between the talent where we are picking 3 times and the end of the second. We lost a decent amount of guys this offseason. 

If we do move up I hope it's for a guy like Emmanuel Forbes who I think could be a game changer, but may fall due to his size. 

We don't have enough roster spots for 11 rookies. We're absolutely going to move up, move down, and get some picks for next year. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

We don't have enough roster spots for 11 rookies. We're absolutely going to move up, move down, and get some picks for next year. 

5 of those are after pick 200. I agree that it's unlikely 11 rookies make the team, but we have to also consider where these picks are. 

If we packaged 2 of our 3 third rounders to move up would you expect those 5 200+ picks to make the team? I do think there will be some movement, like there always is, but I'm not convinced we're going to make a big move up. I'm not against it, or saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if we stayed put for the most part. 

“The blue-chip players, there aren’t as many this year,” Lynch said. “But there is good depth, if not a little stronger.

“I think there’s good value. And we seemed to do well with pick 100 back. We’re in our sweet spot and we got to make them count because you constantly have to be replenishing your team.”

Could be complete BS, but it does seem to kind of line up with how I feel about this draft in that there may not be a lot of difference between guys in round 2 and round 3. If we see someone starting to slip that we value highly, I'm all about moving up and getting our guy. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GW21 said:

5 of those are after pick 200. I agree that it's unlikely 11 rookies make the team, but we have to also consider where these picks are. 

If we packaged 2 of our 3 third rounders to move up would you expect those 5 200+ picks to make the team? I do think there will be some movement, like there always is, but I'm not convinced we're going to make a big move up. I'm not against it, or saying it won't happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if we stayed put for the most part. 

Could be complete BS, but it does seem to kind of line up with how I feel about this draft in that there may not be a lot of difference between guys in round 2 and round 3. If we see someone starting to slip that we value highly, I'm all about moving up and getting our guy. 

Generally agree with you, I just have a feeling that there will be someone the niners want at the back end of the second. 

But personally? In this draft? Just throw your darts. I really think this draft is just not that good. There will be some people in the second round that if they are there around 58 or so, that I would start looking at moving for. But that's going to be very specific for me, I'd wager. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Generally agree with you, I just have a feeling that there will be someone the niners want at the back end of the second. 

But personally? In this draft? Just throw your darts. I really think this draft is just not that good. There will be some people in the second round that if they are there around 58 or so, that I would start looking at moving for. But that's going to be very specific for me, I'd wager. 

I just compare this to the Trey Lance and the QBs draft. And in that sucker you had guys like Sam Cosmi and Creed Humphrey that had a monster likelihood of being excellent starters in the late second and third. Those dudes would be clean first round picks this year. 

• Like 1

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2023-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-4-0?campaign=Twitter_atn

DJ's updated 50 

I just can't get behind Hendon Hooker as a top 50 guy. Same thing about Luke Musgrave. I get that Forbes is super talented, but success at his weight would be historic. I have similar concerns for Witherspoon, though his weight is better, looking at a top 10 pick for him scares me. 28 for Keion and 26 for Will McDonald is kind of crazy as well. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I don't think we package a bunch of picks to move up into the 2nd round, but I do think we move up at least once in the 3rd if not twice. I can also see them turning one of the 5ths into a pick or two in next year's draft, too. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-50-2023-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-4-0?campaign=Twitter_atn

DJ's updated 50 

I just can't get behind Hendon Hooker as a top 50 guy. Same thing about Luke Musgrave. I get that Forbes is super talented, but success at his weight would be historic. I have similar concerns for Witherspoon, though his weight is better, looking at a top 10 pick for him scares me. 28 for Keion and 26 for Will McDonald is kind of crazy as well. 

Herndon is actually my favorite QB in this draft. Don't know much about most of the others, but I do like Will McDonald IV. Top 50? Well, we have heard this is a rather weak draft overall...

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

If you built a RAS card for Nolan Smith with him as a receiver, he would have scored a 9.99. 

This amuses me

lol, I no joke was thinking about if he wasn't going to be a high draft pick how awesome he could probably be at TE. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think I'm going to trade up to the very top of round 3 with my two comp thirds. Really want to see what a draft looks like being uber aggressive 

I did it and drafted Derick Hall at pick 67. 

So basically I drafted 

Anton Harrison, Derick Hall and acquired Davis Mills at the top of this draft with picks in rounds 5 / 6 / 7 left to go. 

I'm not sure how I feel about it. Leaves little room to add to the secondary, but interesting experiment nonetheless 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GW21 said:

They asked Crocker on their POD today if they'd trade their 3 3rds to get into the back of the second. He said he would not. Obviously I am in agreement.  

In a vacuum, I'd say it's a terrible idea to trade up like that 

Now that said, there are times when you have a legit first round grade on someone and they stumble that far for some reason. DK Metcalf comes to mind. Creed Humphrey is another.

I may have to drum up a list of guys I would make that jump for 

• Like 1