2023 NFL draft thread

Forge

On 3/19/2023 at 9:46 PM, GW21 said:

Being out of shape before your biggest job interview makes him look either very dumb or very lazy, both of which aren’t good characteristics to have for a pro football player. 

Maybe this has just been a poor offseason for him, but it’s a bad look either way.

He also watched a buddy of his die a couple of months ago. Look, I get all the doubters and feel free to bring him to me if he doesn't pan out, I surely do when he makes it. I've watched him play for years now and this feels so similar to Jamar Chase to me a couple years ago. People getting wayyyy to down on one of the most elite players in the draft.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

He also watched a buddy of his die a couple of months ago. Look, I get all the doubters and feel free to bring him to me if he doesn't pan out, I surely do when he makes it. I've watched him play for years now and this feels so similar to Jamar Chase to me a couple years ago. People getting wayyyy to down on one of the most elite players in the draft.

I don’t see the parallels between Carter and Chase personally. 

Chase was far from out of shape when he showed up for his workout, and didn’t have any character concerns when he was drafted; if I remember right the rumors of him beating up his girlfriend came during his rookie year.

Carter supposedly had character concerns prior to this racing event and couldn’t get through his pro day after not participating in the combine. 

I’m not hating on the dude, but I think the red flags are there. I may be missing something and don’t pretend to know either of these guys situations outside of the little I’ve read.

• Like 1

There are almost no starting positions up for grabs, BUT, I could see us take a player at almost every position

Seriously....QB, RB, TE, WR, OT, OG, DT, DE, LB, CB, S. Even K 

So that would be....upto 12 rookies making the squad? Either through draft picks or UDFA's

We could improve and/or supplement our depth almost everywhere. So I don't expect any real day 1 contributors, but mostly backups. And maybe a couple of them take a step forward in Year 2

Offensively, I think we try to come out of the draft with a legit #2 RB, #2 TE & maybe a Jauan Jennings replacement.

Defensively, i think the priority is a pass rusher at DE

Feels like this will be a depth heavy draft. Boring but necessary.

ESPN's Jordan Reid 7 Round Mock.

49ers picks

99. Jaylon Jones, CB, Texas A&M

101. Nick Saldiveri, OT, Old Dominion

102. Devon Achane, RB, Texas A&M

155. Daniel Scott, S, California

173. Payne Durham, TE, Purdue

216. Ventrell Miller, LB, Florida

222. Sidy Sow, OT, Eastern Michigan

247. Andrei Iosivas, WR, Princeton

253. Lance Boykin, CB, Coastal Carolina

255. Elijah Higgins, WR/TE, Stanford

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35958143/2023-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-reid-seven-round-predictions-259-picks

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

ESPN's Jordan Reid 7 Round Mock.

49ers picks

99. Jaylon Jones, CB, Texas A&M

101. Nick Saldiveri, OT, Old Dominion

102. Devon Achane, RB, Texas A&M

155. Daniel Scott, S, California

173. Payne Durham, TE, Purdue

216. Ventrell Miller, LB, Florida

222. Sidy Sow, OT, Eastern Michigan

247. Andrei Iosivas, WR, Princeton

253. Lance Boykin, CB, Coastal Carolina

255. Elijah Higgins, WR/TE, Stanford

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35958143/2023-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-reid-seven-round-predictions-259-picks

Ah yes, the third round running back. 

A tried and true 49er draft staple. 

Not sure about the Saldiveri selection as I think that he may end up being a guard at the next level. I like Durham there, that's about right. I Like Miller, Sow and Yoshi, so that is a really nice run of picks there with Durrham as well. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

We are absolutely going to trade up for him aren't we

I actually wouldn't hate this. I watched him in person carve up my Hokies to a historic Tony Dorsett-level and that man can fly. I have no idea what kind of blocking scheme Pitt uses, but watching Izzy made me think of Mostert.

EDIT: It's happening...

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I actually wouldn't hate this. I watched him in person carve up my Hokies to a historic Tony Dorsett-level and that man can fly. I have no idea what kind of blocking scheme Pitt uses, but watching Izzy made me think of Mostert.

EDIT: It's happening...

Krueger mentioned him on his podcast and made the same similarity - Mostert. I definitely wouldn’t mind getting another home run threat like that. 

3 hours ago, adamq said:

How did they produce another Donald 

But man is he SMALL. 6'1 280 pounds with 30.6 inch arm. That's the bottom 5% in all those categories and the arm length is near the bottom of all time.

I'd prefer to look at someone like Adetomiwa Adebawore if we were to move up for a DT.

But at the end of the day we'll probably go with someone like Zach Pickens since we interviewed him and he went to a school we like.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Geek said:

But man is he SMALL. 6'1 280 pounds with 30.6 inch arm. That's the bottom 5% in all those categories and the arm length is near the bottom of all time.

I'd prefer to look at someone like Adetomiwa Adebawore if we were to move up for a DT.

But at the end of the day we'll probably go with someone like Zach Pickens since we interviewed him and he went to a school we like.

The arms are the killer for me. Very concerning. 

Adebawore is probably out of reach if the helium on his stock is accurate. Mel bumped him to like a top 15 prospect.

I like Pickens. I like wooden as well. There are some interesting idl guys in our range... Definitely more so than edge guys, imo. 

Waiting to see who all we bring in for official 30 visits before I really take a guess on who we like. So far it's only Mafi so far as I'm aware

1 hour ago, Forge said:

The arms are the killer for me. Very concerning. 

Adebawore is probably out of reach if the helium on his stock is accurate. Mel bumped him to like a top 15 prospect.

I like Pickens. I like wooden as well. There are some interesting idl guys in our range... Definitely more so than edge guys, imo. 

Waiting to see who all we bring in for official 30 visits before I really take a guess on who we like. So far it's only Mafi so far as I'm aware

I wasn't aware Adebawore was blowing up. Makes sense since his athletic profile is pretty crazy and we're in that part of the draft process when those type of prospects start being a little overvalued.

>Definitely more so than edge guys, imo. 

What about Isaiah McGuire? He's got the athletic traits we'd like from an edge guy and we at least interviewed him at the combine.

On 3/22/2023 at 11:30 AM, Forge said:

I listened to him talk about Witt a little on the podcast and it's pretty interesting. Long term project, but interesting story. 

I've been spending a little bit of time thinking about how to use the 2nd tight end spot.   What if we had an ultra athletic tackle like this guy, who could catch just enough to be a threat.  In most instances these guys are blockers, why not have really good blockers on the field.  Especially with the type of larger athletes that are entering the league.  

I'm not sure how this guy's speed would compare to Dwelly or Kroft, but I think it is an interesting idea as a depth piece.