2023 NFL draft thread

Forge

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

In a vacuum, I'd say it's a terrible idea to trade up like that 

Now that said, there are times when you have a legit first round grade on someone and they stumble that far for some reason. DK Metcalf comes to mind. Creed Humphrey is another.

I may have to drum up a list of guys I would make that jump for 

There really aren't many for me in this draft. I'm willing to trade our mass of late picks to move up 10 or 15 spots. I think that could help secure the last interesting TE or developmental T or something. But trading up for dudes in this draft seems foolish. Rather get more shots at the mass of relatively similar junk.

• Like 2

Just started to watch some prospects and wanted to see the corners in this draft....Saw the ones projected in the first round and then randomly came across this video when I was watching Ringo:

Holy ish, this dude is able to flip his hips so naturally and seems to have top level speed. Where is Forbes projected to go? Looks like he plays mainly off man and no clue how he is in zone coverage, but from initial watch, I like him! 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just started to watch some prospects and wanted to see the corners in this draft....Saw the ones projected in the first round and then randomly came across this video when I was watching Ringo:

Holy ish, this dude is able to flip his hips so naturally and seems to have top level speed. Where is Forbes projected to go? Looks like he plays mainly off man and no clue how he is in zone coverage, but from initial watch, I like him! 

Emmanuel Forbes? First / Second. Probably the second. I'd assume his size keeps him out of the first.

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Emmanuel Forbes? First / Second. Probably the second. I'd assume his size keeps him out of the first.

Well never mind then, he's not on our radar lol. What is wrong with his size? I think he is 6 2 180? Is that really all that bad? 

57 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I LOVE Forbes. He's my draft crush this year. Him running a 4.35 at the combine really didn't help our cause if we wanted to land him. My hope is that teams are scared off by him weighing in under 170lbs and he falls, but I don't know if I'd count on that. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well never mind then, he's not on our radar lol. What is wrong with his size? I think he is 6 2 180? Is that really all that bad? 

6'1 166lbs. 

BTW. He'd be one of the guys I would be happy with a move up for if we did decide to move up. 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

He's in the 160's. 

Would be pretty much historic if he were really good at that height / weight. 

Just now, Forge said:

He's in the 160's. 

Would be pretty much historic if he were really good at that height / weight. 

Really? When I google'd his size, it has him as 6 feet 180 pounds. If he is 166, then yeah, I can see teams giving him a 2nd round grade but he still has some nice coverage attributes. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Really? When I google'd his size, it has him as 6 feet 180 pounds. If he is 166, then yeah, I can see teams giving him a 2nd round grade but he still has some nice coverage attributes. 

The league is moving in a direction where i think guys of this size are actually going to be successful, especially on the outside, but I don't know if we are there yet (in this case)or not and it's hard to draft outliers early. 

But we are seeing tackles at 300 and less...30 years ago, unheard of. Off ball linebackers at 220, sometimes below. Hell, 20 years ago Brian Urlacher was 260. Receiver success is starting to widen for size as well. QBs under 210 and 6 feet are finding success.  

Can I just say how annoyed I am to have been on the Laporta and Mingo hype trains so early only for their stock to get massive helium with both probably going well before we pick now? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

The league is moving in a direction where i think guys of this size are actually going to be successful, especially on the outside, but I don't know if we are there yet (in this case)or not and it's hard to draft outliers early. 

But we are seeing tackles at 300 and less...30 years ago, unheard of. Off ball linebackers at 220, sometimes below. Hell, 20 years ago Brian Urlacher was 260. Receiver success is starting to widen for size as well. QBs under 210 and 6 feet are finding success.  

I was going to say DeVonta Smith probably helped his cause, but it looks like he weighed in at 175 for as slight as he was. Idk I'm terribly concerned with Forbes, especially outside like you said. He played in the most competitive division in college football against players who are headed to the NFL. 

20 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I was going to say DeVonta Smith probably helped his cause, but it looks like he weighed in at 175 for as slight as he was. Idk I'm terribly concerned with Forbes, especially outside like you said. He played in the most competitive division in college football against players who are headed to the NFL. 

Yeah, and at least Smith had some prior history of success at that size happening (desean Jackson) for receiver. I just don't know of any for a corner at that height / weight combo. Usually if they are that light, they are smaller and probably a slot corner and that only opens the success a little bit.

He's 25 pounds lighter than Jason Verrett who was barely 5'9 😂

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Yeah, and at least Smith had some prior history of success at that size happening (desean Jackson) for receiver. I just don't know of any for a corner at that height / weight combo. Usually if they are that light, they are smaller and probably a slot corner and that only opens the success a little bit.

He's 25 pounds lighter than Jason Verrett who was barely 5'9 😂

He’ll grow!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

Meanwhile John, Adam and Kyle are like, "all in on safety, baby.. let's get it"

😂

How do you feel about Jordan Battle? I think he’s a guy that could be a starter and possibly be available in our range.