BDL 2022 Week 1 - Lancaster Werewolves @ Cuba Smugglers

RedGold

Who Wins?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Lancaster Werewolves
    • Cuba Smugglers

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/15/2022 at 04:59 AM

BDL 2022 Week 1

Match:  Lancaster Werewolves @ Cuba Smugglers

Away Owner: @rackcs

Home Owner:  @MD4L

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Edited by RedGold
  • Like 1

Lancaster Werewolves:
QB: Trevor Lawrence
RB: AJ Dillon
WR: Michael Pittman Jr.
WR: Diontae Johnson
WR: Quez Watkins
TE: Mike Gesicki
LT: Braxton Jones
LG: Quenton Nelson

😄 Ted Karras
RG: Robert Hunt
RT: Evan Neal

QB: Jalen Hurts
RB: Miles Sanders
RB: Leonard Fournette
WR: Skyy Moore
WR: Kyle Philips
TE: Chigoziem Okonkwo
OL: Matt Peart
OL: Thayer Munford Jr.

DE: Joey Bosa
DT: Kenny Clark
DT: Javon Kinlaw
DE: TJ Watt
LB: Bobby Wagner
LB: Fred Warner
CB: Jalen Ramsey
CB: Jaire Alexander
CB: K’Waun Williams
FS: Minkah Fitzpatrick
SS: Vonn Bell

EDGE: John Franklin-Myers
EDGE: Julian Okwara (Q)
INT: Justin Madubuike
LB: Willie Gay Jr.
LB: Malcolm Rodriguez
CB: David Long Jr.
CB: Kindle Vildor
S: Johnathan Abram

Cuba Smugglers

QB: Tom Brady
RB: Dalvin Cook
WR: Justin Jefferson 
WR: Mike Williams
WR: Keenan Allen
TE: Mo Alie-Cox
LT: Donovan Smith
LG: Connor Williams
C - Matt Hennessy 
RG: Ezra Cleveland
RT: Lane Johnson

RB: Travis Etienne 
RB: Nyheim Hines
WR: DJ Chark
TE: Hunter Long
TE: Jelani Woods
OL: Charles Cross
OL: Cole Strange
FB: Gabe Nabers

Edge: Rashan Gary 
DT: Zach Sieler
NT: DJ Reader
Edge: Maxx Crosby
WLB: Myles Jack
MLB: Eric Kendricks 
RCB: Rasul Douglas
NCB: Kenny Moore
FS: Justin Reid
SS: Derwin James
LCB: Shaquill Griffin

Edge: Hasson Riddick
Edge: Alex Highsmith
DL: Rashad Weaver
off-ball LB: Jerome Baker
Star: Jalen Mills
CB: Coby Bryant
CB: Martin Emerson
S: JT Woods

Edited by RedGold

Lancaster Offensive Strategy:

One of Cuba’s biggest weaknesses is their lack of interior defensive line depth and we feel that this will be the key to our offensive success. We want to lean on a heavy running game split between our three main running backs and then use this to opening up the passing game with play action.

We want to come out of the gate swinging with heavy use of our two big bruiser running backs in AJ Dillon and Leonard Fournette. We want to hit them up the middle a ton and tire out their interior defensive linemen quickly. This also plays to the strength of our offensive line, which is in the interior where we’ve got some big people movers in Quenton Nelson and Robert Hunt. We’ll of course mix in some passing in this early period of the game, mainly with quick throws designed to keep pressure off of the quarterback and allow him to get in rhythm. We’ll be targeting Diontae Johnson a lot on these short field throws so that he can use his ability to get separation and make defenders miss in space.

As the game progresses we’ll make two major adjustments to the gameplan: We will start bringing in Miles Sanders more and start using more play action concepts to open up some targets deeper down the field. While Leonard Fournette will still get some play at this point, we’ll mainly stick to a lightning and thunder approach with Dillon and Sanders. We’ll have Sanders do a lot of outside runs and screens to continue tiring out the defense while bruising them up with Dillon. At the same time we’ll be taking more shots downfield with Trevor Lawrence to his receiving targets. We’ll be having Mike Gesicki flex out wide to function as a big wide receiver a lot to use him properly.

We think that we can tire out Cuba’s defense early with an up-tempo, bruising rushing attack that will gas the defense and leave them vulnerable for when we attack them through the air more later in the game.

Lancaster Defensive Strategy:

Tom Brady is obviously one of the best to ever play but he’s certainly not unbeatable. To defeat Tom Brady you have to get pressure with your base defensive line and play good man defense. We feel we have the personnel to accomplish this goal.

Cuba’s interior offensive line is fairly weak, especially with Elgton Jenkins coming into this game questionable and recovering from a torn ACL last year. We feel that with a steady defensive line rotation we can take advantage of this. We want to use Kenny Clark on most snaps but rotate Javon Kinlaw, Justin Madubuike, and John Franklin-Myers a lot at the other interior position, particularly the latter player. In addition, we want to use stunts from our defensive ends to get TJ Watt and Joey Bosa opportunities against this weak interior offensive line. We trust those two players to also get their fair share of pressure from the outside against the offensive tackles as well. We won’t blitz much, we want to keep the pressure on with our front four and leave lots of guys back in coverage.

In coverage, we’re looking to keep it fairly simple as Cuba has a lot of good wide receiver options. Luckily we have some very good corners on our roster. We want to play very physical man coverage against the Cuba wide receivers. Our main goal is to get in their faces and disrupt their timing. In our base defense, Jaire Alexander will cover Justin Jefferson, Jalen Ramsey will cover Mike Williams, and K’Waun Williams will cover Keenan Allen. Fred Warner will cover their tight end. Bobby Wagner and Vonn Bell will both be spying the RB, ready to stop Dalvin Cook as a runner or cover him as a receiver. Minkah Fitzpatrick will play a centerfielder role, providing support over the top. We expect to see lots of 4 wide receiver looks from Cuba, so in those cases, Bobby Wagner will come off the field and David Long Jr. and Kindle Vildor will rotate as the 4th corner, covering their extra wide receiver. We also expect to potentially see double running back looks with Cook and Travis Etienne where likely the tight end comes off the field. In these cases, Warner will spy Etienne while the Wagner/Bell duo will stay on their role with Cook.

We think we've got the defensive line talent to overwhelm Cuba's offensive line and keep Brady from getting into his usual rhythm. Meanwhile on the backend we've got good coverage players to help smother the opposing wide receivers. All of this will serve to keep the timing of the offense off balance to limit their offensive abilities.

Cuba

Intro

One year removed from a title victory, we are now entering week one as a non playoff team looking to start the season on a strong note against an incredibly talented defensive juggernaut in Lancaster. Kudos to Racks as he begins to transition the team into an offensive powerhouse with Trevor Lawrence leading the way for their team.

Offense

We also have a new face of the franchise: Tom Brady leads the way. Lancaster possess an elite combination of edge rushers and two supremely gifted CBs in Ramsey and Alexander. Nonetheless, with Tom Brady and Justin Jefferson working together we’re going to give our pairing several chances to get going early and often. Jefferson will usually lineup opposite the other starting receivers in an isolation set. We are heavy proponents of pre snap motion and will shift our RB to the isolation side with Jefferson for Brady to see if it’s zone or man. Although both CBs are elite, Jefferson on crossing patterns and deeper targets can counteract an inefficient performance (5-6 targets) with a couple catches that stretch the field.

We will actively involve Jefferson due to his playmaking, but we have multiple options for Brady to spread the wealth across his potential options. Mike Williams and Keenan Allen will frequently work off each other’s ability and reap targets based on who is single covered. Last time we saw Ramsey, he was beaten a couple times on deep vertical routes so we aren’t oppose to testing him or the smaller Jaire Alexander on deeper targets. Williams will be tasked to go deep frequently and having DJ Chark spell him on occasion means holding one of Lancaster’s safeties to protect for the deep ball. Fortunately, Keenan Allen working over the middle of the field will likely be against the #3 CB. Allen is our quick target ace and works the middle of the field. His DOT is within the 5-10 yard range. His slant, comeback, and out/flat routes from the slot are designed to enable a 40-50 pass attempt performance from Brady. Those quick routes offset pass rush and are usually first down attempts to create an uptempo offense.

Is that a lot of attempts against Ramsey/Alexander? Yes.

Is that a lot of attempts against a TJ Watt/Bosa pass rush? Yes 

Nonetheless, we’re committed to putting our strength against another teams strength. While Lancaster can undoubtedly win reps, we are confident that if we reach the 75-80 play mark, we will reach the point where we begin to tire out an opposing rush. After Bosa and Watt, Lancaster has supplimental pass rush threats. Furthermore, having Hines motion out as another vertical threat gives us enticing opportunity to win against Bobby Wagner in coverage and create presnap advantages which allow Brady to make quick throws and offset a strong pass rush.

Dalvin Cook is also primed for a strong sharehold of running game. A big benefit of strongly committing to the pass is how it will impact our running game. With heavy emphasis throwing in the early stages, Brady can check at the line and hand Cook the ball at the line. With our first ten plays being pass, we think the eventual soft fronts in response to our passing can lead to big gains for Cook. We aren’t putting a 20 carry responsibility on his shoulders but expect strong results with 12-16 traditional carries. We will work to get him 3-4 screens as an extension of our run game. Travis Etienne should handle the other 7-10 carries in a traditional RB2 role. Hines will play with both RBs as we will avoid putting Cook/Etienne together for week 1. Hines will be a presnap menace. He might start on the outside as a traditional receiver before motioning back to RB. He might begin at RB and motion to boundary WR (if CB splits out wide it’s zone, if CB remains in slot and Warner or Wagner stick it’s man). He will start at WR and motion for jet sweep; shovel toss touches. He is a unique code to decipher defenses. He will also begin at RB move to WR and based on the defensive look we’ll use traditional runs to light the box.

Defense

As avid believers of Lawrence, we think he’s capable of taking Lancaster to the Biz Bowl this year. He’s still the phenomenal prospect that we loved although the draft process and want to make life difficult for him.

Whereas we discussed the benefit in running 75-80 plays to tire out a pass rush, we can ease snaps for Gary and Crosby with Highsmith and Riddick capable of playing 4-6 plays in a row. Crosby will be matched with rookie Evan Neal which could be a problem against the run with the mammoth size of the franchise tackle. However with Lawrence’s dual threat ability and desire to move around the pocket, Crosby should have a near dozen opportunities to generate pressures on Lawrence. We would prefer to create a high scoring game to encourage Lancaster to throw the ball as much as we did because our pass rush can make things easier for our offense.

With no viable active answers at LT, Gary has an opportunistic matchup to start the year strong. Even as a run defender, his ability to set the edge makes things easier for our second level defenders (and Derwin James) to come down and make things hard on Fournette and Dillon. 

Lancaster can certainly do some good things in the running game with Nelson on pulls so Sieler and Reader’s run defense capabilities will be a focal point of our performance this week. Sieler’s one gap ability with Reader’s size give us a punchers chance to win early enough that Lawrence has to convert 3 and beyond 5 enough times in a higher scoring game to put his team in a position to win.

We are zone cover experts. It’s a simple coverage scheme. Griffin and Douglas occupy boundaries. Griffin will almost always be up in press with occasional jams or in hand checking to give our pass rush the extra split second or two that makes it harder for Lawrence to target his WR1. Douglas role is different. We will alternate his coverage from traditional press zone to more deeper stances which allow him to freelance and find the ball in his coverage. His performance last year showed his opportunistic ways actually produce turnovers and in our ideal game script, Lawrence should gain yards throughout as we would trade stats for turnovers.

Edited by RedGold

I'm going with Lancaster. It was tough. I feel that Cuba has the better offense but they did not gameplan as well for the better defense. I appreciate them wanting to put their strength vs strength of Jefferson vs Cuba's DBs. I do feel like Cuba better explained what he wanted to do but Lancaster's strategy on both sides of the ball, while not written as well IMO, spoke to me and how I was imagining the different players and how they work. Lawrence worries me a little starting but the insurance on the bench is enough for me to say they still get the upset. It feels like the game should be low scoring.

11 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Close game. Great offense vs great defense. 

the ground and pound gameplan probably won’t hold up to Cuba’s ability to make big plays. Justin Jefferson is damn near unstoppable right now 

Well it'll help that I'll be shadowing Jaire on Jefferson all game instead of doing this

• Like 2

So I have read these game plans multiple times actually. I have looked at the rosters, I've looked at there performances yesterday, I have been mowing this mulling this game all day.

Here is how I feel about this game, Cuba has a very good offense. Lancaster has an elite defense. Cuba has a very good defense and Lancaster, imo, has some very good elements on offense.

So this comes down to do I think that a run heavy offense from Lancaster' I'm Lancaster' it's good enough to be Cuba the Cuba? or is Cuba's passing  attack  Good enough to beat this elite defense of Lancaster'?

I'm not even sure that there's a wrong answer here. Having said that, I think Cuba's offensive line is really going to struggle against that Lancaster' front 7. Neither quarterback in this game excelled yesterday.  In fact statistically they were very similar. Now I am not suggesting Trevor Lawrence is as good as Tom Brady but performance wise so far this season there has not been much of a difference.

I think the running backs that Lancaster has it's completely good enough to do what it is he is trying to do in wearing down a Cuba defense the defense that seriously lacks interior depth on the defensive line.

I have no doubt that Cuba is going to have some success in the passing game however  I do not believe against this secondary that that success is going to be consistent enough to break this game open.

I think this game ends in a shocking upset, Lancaster by 1 score.

Edited by wwhickok

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

So I have read these game plans multiple times actually. I have looked at the rosters, I've looked at there performances yesterday, I have been mowing this mulling this game all day.

Here is how I feel about this game, Cuba has a very good offense. Lancaster has an elite defense. Cuba has a very good defense and Lancaster, imo, has some very good elements on offense.

So this comes down to do I think that a run heavy offense from Lancaster' I'm Lancaster' it's good enough to be Cuba the Cuba? or is Cuba's passing  attack  Good enough to beat this elite defense of Lancaster'?

I'm not even sure that there's a wrong answer here. Having said that, I think Cuba's offensive line is really going to struggle against that Lancaster' front 7. Neither quarterback in this game excelled yesterday.  In fact statistically they were very similar. Now I am not suggesting Trevor Lawrence is as good as Tom Brady but performance women's wives so far this season there has not been much of a difference.

I think the running backs that Lancaster has it's completely good enough to do what it is he is trying to do in wearing down a Cuba defense the defense that seriously lacks interior depth on the defensive line.

I have no doubt that Cuba is going to have some success in the passing game however  I do not believe against this secondary that that success is going to be consistent enough to break this game open.

I think this game ends in a shocking upset, Lancaster by 1 score.

Performance women's wives. Lol.

Your autocorrect is a 2022 model huh?

Wise turned into women's wives. Lol

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Blue said:

Putting that offensive line in front of Brady against Lancaster's lineup is, frankly, horrendous.

I’m sorry, who’s starting Braxton Jones at LT again?

And the OL slander. I noticed one striking thing. But Donovan Smith performed admirably last season, Connor Williams is an above average guard, Ezra Cleveland is above average, and Lane Johnson is elite. 

That OL is pretty damn good.

I think Keenan Allen is going to have a huge game with a wide open middle of the field or boundaries as I'm not a Kwuan Williams believer.  I think that short dink and dunk passing attack is going to be just enough as Lancaster has put two people in coverage on Dalvin Cook which should limit the running and screen game but opens the short passing game for the surgical Brady.  I don't think Cuba is gonna have enough time to hit the deeper crosses and go routes they want, not that their line is awful, moreso how good the opposing DL is.  On the opposite side they are pretty much gonna do to Lawrence what Washington did.  Force him to FG and reading zones.  Great matchup but i think allen/brady is lethal enough to get an extra score

Cuba 14-13

4 hours ago, MD4L said:

I’m sorry, who’s starting Braxton Jones at LT again?

And the OL slander. I noticed one striking thing. But Donovan Smith performed admirably last season, Connor Williams is an above average guard, Ezra Cleveland is above average, and Lane Johnson is elite. 

That OL is pretty damn good.

Hey Braxton Jones was good yesterday...as a run blocker. Certainly had his struggles pass blocking but honestly not as bad as it could have been going up against Nick Bosa in his first NFL start after playing FCS ball.

Of course that's also why we're going run heavy and specifically setting up the play action hard, to force your defensive line to respect the run and not go all out pass rushing.

Edited by rackcs
  • Like 1