Nebraska fires HC Scott Frost

beekay414

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Specifically in regards to Anthony Grant who I was referencing, he had 101 yards 2 TDs and average 5.3 yards per carry against Northwestern.  That is struggling to run the ball for him?

He had a 46 yard run in there, which obviously counts, but the other 18 carries went for 55 yards. Yes, he struggled to run the football vs NW.

31 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

He had a 46 yard run in there, which obviously counts, but the other 18 carries went for 55 yards. Yes, he struggled to run the football vs NW.

You could say the same thing usually about any running back, it comes with the position.  I still feel you greatly over simplify the issue and the OL was not the main reason for the Nebraska/Scott Frost downfall.  

Again Cam Jurgens was the 51st pick overall and was selected by the team who has arguably the best OL coach in the NFL especially in terms of finding and developing talent on the OL.  Jurgens is most likely a future long term starter for the Eagles at center once Kelce retires.  And Teddy Prochazka is a true SOPH with a lot of talent and upside at 6-10 320 and I would be surprised if he does not get a shot at the NFL, same with Turner Corcoran who is also a true SOPH and has next level potential and possibly Bryce Benhart who is a 6-9 315 RS SOPH but he is more of a long shot and did struggle last year in pass pro but has a lot of upside as well.

Could say the lack of real edge pass rushers is the bigger downfall, out of all the time Frost has been at Nebraska could argue Garrett Nelson is the only guy who gets consistent edge pressure for them and they have never really had a dominating edge rusher at all much less any great DL talent, sure the two Davis kids but both of them were just kind of good and not great and neither are on a active NFL roster.   And once more the disappointment of Mathis has been big, dude had a ton of sacks a few years ago for TCU and has not done much for Nebraska this year in terms of consistent pressure.  

18 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I still feel you greatly over simplify the issue and the OL was not the main reason for the Nebraska/Scott Frost downfall.  

Not a single person said or implied this. Rams mentioned they need to develop the OL to match the physicality of the conference and he's not wrong. However, that, in no way implies that it was the main reason for their "downfall." 

As for the rest of your post...

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jp

On 9/14/2022 at 9:44 PM, jrry32 said:
On 9/11/2022 at 1:09 PM, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Old tweets are fun.

Expand  

What a mistake that was by Frost.

Saw this tweet and was reminded of this conversation:

You can still see the arrogance on Nebraksa fans if they're completely over it a week later. I don't want to say Frost's career is over, but he did tens of millions of dollars worth of damage to it for a University that didn't make it a week after he's gone.

Like yeah, he got paid, but I feel for him. As much as I don't think he's a superstar college coach or anything, he's too good a coach for the program.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You can still see the arrogance on Nebraksa fans if they're completely over it a week later.

My old college baseball coach was your typical Boomer clueless out of touch Nebraska fan. Sorry for the redundancy. He said, and I quote, "Scott Frost was a better option quarterback than Frazer." Insert the Scott Frost saving Nebraska narrative here.

I don't want to say Frost's career is over, but he did tens of millions of dollars worth of damage to it for a University that didn't make it a week after he's gone.

I think Frost still rebounds. He's young, he's got past major head coaching experience/winning at a smaller level, and he will either return to a small school as a HC or reinvent himself as an OC somewhere big (Alabama obviously) to then parlay that into another Power 5 opportunity IMO.

Like yeah, he got paid, but I feel for him. As much as I don't think he's a superstar college coach or anything, he's too good a coach for the program.

He deserved better. I think he's still a good coach who was thrust into the equivalent of UCLA fans who run Final 4 HC's out of town because they aren't John Wooden in the 60s and 70s elite anymore.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I think Frost still rebounds. He's young, he's got past major head coaching experience/winning at a smaller level, and he will either return to a small school as a HC or reinvent himself as an OC somewhere big (Alabama obviously) to then parlay that into another Power 5 opportunity IMO.

Something like Marshall or Toledo if either get a promotion. 

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You can still see the arrogance on Nebraksa fans if they're completely over it a week later. I don't want to say Frost's career is over, but he did tens of millions of dollars worth of damage to it for a University that didn't make it a week after he's gone.

Yep. Frost should have picked a winning job over his alma mater. There's no loyalty there, and their fans are unrealistic. They fired Bo Pelini despite him winning 9-10 games every year.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. Frost should have picked a winning job over his alma mater. There's no loyalty there, and their fans are unrealistic. They fired Bo Pelini despite him winning 9-10 games every year.

True but Bo was fired for not winning the bigger games and taking the team to the next level, but ultimately it was "Nebraska claimed that Pelini had been fired in part for "a pattern of unprofessional, disrespectful behavior" toward players, fans and Nebraska employees"

That D had guys like Ndamukong Suh, Lavonte David, Randy Gregory, Will Compton, Prince Amukamara, Alfonzo Dennard, Jared Crick, Jean-Baptiste etc over the time Pelini was there.  Scott Frost never had anyone close to Suh on the inside or Gregory on the edge...  And offensively Taylor Martinez was not great but I would say he was better than Adrian especially as a runner, and they had consistent running backs usually in Roy Helu Jr, Rex Burkhead and Ameer Abdullah along with decent OL play with 6 OL drafted in his 6 years at Nebraska.  

Now either Frost and his staff could not develop players or they simply were not good at evaluating and bringing in talent.  Honestly who was the best most talented player in Frost's time as the Nebraska head coach?  Based on draft ranking it was Cam Jurgens or Cam Taylor-Britt from last year.  Both could be solid pros but that is a pretty sad list if one looks back the last 5 years.  Granted many were UDFA guys like Domann this past year and he made the roster, and Austin Allen was talented and is on the Giants practice squad, and Stille did for the Dolphins etc.  

Still there was a clear talent and or player development issue, and sure the expectations are insane.  And maybe was too loyal to guys like Erik Chinander and was odd he brought in Mark Whipple, seemed like a great move but obviously he wants to spread it out and throw the ball, not just develop a QB and sure that was an issue early in the season play calling in terms of what to call and the identity of the offense.  .  

23 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Probably so.  But the appeal of returning your Alma Mater to it's former glory days is hard to overcome.