Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

6 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I just told you.  St. Brown.

Clearly all these young WR's have their weak spots that need work on the field. Not a chance I could cut EQ now that they bit the bullet and put him in the room. I'm not even a huge fan of big WR's like EQ but would be the first to tell ya he's a premium talent. 

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is a completely different argument if we don't have Aaron Rodgers.  We do have Aaron Rodgers.  We keep the 53 players most ready to help us win this year.  We don't put potential ahead of production at this point in our franchise because we're after Super Bowl wins, not stockpiling potential and / or rebuilding. 

Kumerow is way ahead of all of our rookies as far as what he can provide for us this year.  If that means we risk losing somebody who will be ready in two to three years, so be it. 

Geronimo Allison didn't make the 53 as a UDFA.  Now he's the #3 receiver two years later.  The Packers employ this strategy called "draft and develop."  Maybe you've heard of it.  

If you're going to keep a rookie receiver based off of his readiness to help the team RIGHT NOW, wouldn't you cut Moore or MVS and keep EQ by that standard?  He's clearly shown that he's the most NFL ready prospect of the three.  

Just now, palmy50 said:

Clearly all these young WR's have their weak spots that need work on the field. Not a chance I could cut EQ now that they bit the bullet and put him in the room. I'm not even a huge fan of big WR's like EQ but would be the first to tell ya he's a premium talent. 

Yeah, but my opinion is clearly worth more than yours. 

Just now, Cheech said:

Geronimo Allison didn't make the 53 as a UDFA.  Now he's the #3 receiver two years later.  The Packers employ this strategy called "draft and develop."  Maybe you've heard of it.  

If you're going to keep a rookie receiver based off of his readiness to help the team RIGHT NOW, wouldn't you cut Moore or MVS and keep EQ by that standard?  He's clearly shown that he's the most NFL ready prospect of the three.  

How could Allison have been drafted and developed if he wasn't drafted?

You asked me which one I would cut.  I told you St. Brown.  I don't like him.  He weirds me out. 

He's less ready now than Kumerow.  Moore is probably less ready than St. Brown, so yeah, he's another candidate. 

Ideally, I wouldn't cut any of them.  I'd find a way to keep as many as I can without them making the 53.

If it was up to me, I'd go:

Adams, Cobb, Allison, Kumerow, MVS, Davis.
IR Moore and St. Brown.

If I had to cut one, I'd cut St. Brown because I don't like him.  If I had to cut one taking personal opinions out of the equation, I'd cut Moore.  I'm the only one who wants Davis because of his special teams value, and I don't think he provides anything as a receiver, but I still think he provides as much now as any of the rookies do. 

Green Bay is just NOT a rookie WR friendly team. 

39 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We literally had one of the most physically talented, athletic receivers we've ever had and he 17 regular season catches in four seasons for us and you can't see that athleticism means squat? 

Who you talking about Janis?

Jeff Janis's "physical and athletic" talents began and ended with an ability to run in a straight line faster than some others. Thats it.

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, but my opinion is clearly worth more than yours. 

I respect your line of thinking here man. Stick to your guns , I would.

I'm just one that feels you don't give away the premium talents and the premium talents in that room are Adams, Cobb, and the rookie draft picks. 

If they choose to keep others, cool, but you bit the bullet on EQ's personality and J'Mon's rawness when you handed in that draft card. 

Just now, Leader said:

Who you talking about Janis?

Jeff Janis's "physical and athletic" talents began and ended with an ability to run in a straight line faster than some others. Thats it.

4.42, 20 reps, 37.5 vertical, 123 inch broad jump, 6.64 3 cone, 3.98 20.
4.39, 17 reps, 38.5  vertical, 135 inch broad jump, 6.66 3 cone, 4.25 20.

One of those is Jeff Janis, the other is Julio Jones.  Jeff Janis was the most physically gifted receiver we have possibly ever had on our roster.  My point, since you didn't get it, is that physical talent is not everything that a player needs to succeed in the NFL. 

Just now, palmy50 said:

I respect your line of thinking here man. Stick to your guns , I would.

I'm just one that feels you don't give away the premium talents and the premium talents in that room are Adams, Cobb, and the rookie draft picks. 

If they choose to keep others, cool, but you bit the bullet on EQ's personality and J'Mon's rawness when you handed in that draft card. 

Right, but I'm talking specifically 53 man roster.  If we can't find a way to keep those two, yeah, you probably have to make the sacrifice on Kumerow, especially since he's less likely to be taken off a practice squad, but if you can find a way to keep those two without them taking up space on the 53 man roster, you do that. 

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

One of those is Jeff Janis, the other is Julio Jones.  Jeff Janis was the most physically gifted receiver we have possibly ever had on our roster.  My point, since you didn't get it, is that physical talent is not everything that a player needs to succeed in the NFL. 

Nope. Sorry. Janis showed nothing - in all the years he was here - other than an ability to run in a straight line....quickly.

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

You're clearly smart enough to see the difference between what Janis offered and what the rookie guys offer at the wide receiver position.  

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

This is a completely different argument if we don't have Aaron Rodgers.  We do have Aaron Rodgers.  We keep the 53 players most ready to help us win this year.  We don't put potential ahead of production at this point in our franchise because we're after Super Bowl wins, not stockpiling potential and / or rebuilding. 

Kumerow is way ahead of all of our rookies as far as what he can provide for us this year.  If that means we risk losing somebody who will be ready in two to three years, so be it. 

Potential over production? What is Kumerow going to give you as #4 for a full season? He profiles as a mediocre #4. His ceiling is a decent backup & ST guy. 

You're cutting a guy that is not ready to be anything more than a #4 this year but they all profile as a #1-2 at their ceiling for a guy in his 4th TC that's in the prime of his career running with the 2-3's in camp. I don't care if none of them hit their ceiling and all flop, I'm taking the potential any day. Kumerow is going to give you maybe 200-300 yards receiving, he's sure as hell not the difference between SB and no SB.

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If a players paper skillset was the end all be all the best talent evaluators in the world wouldn't be wrong half the time!

4 minutes ago, Cheech said:

You're clearly smart enough to see the difference between what Janis offered and what the rookie guys offer at the wide receiver position.  

Obviously not since he made the awful comp. From all I've heard about Janis is he was a good guy, but was dumb as a box of rocks. All of the rooks we have far outclass him in football IQ.

Archived