Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What if I told you that Trevor Davis never once fielded a punt inside the 5 yard line last year?

4 inside the 10 yard line that were absolutely boneheaded.  

But let's go ahead and keep him as our 6th or 7th receiver on the roster even though he offers nothing at his position and hasn't even shown the ability to stay healthy.  Just so he might return one or two punts on the year.  

Dumbest take I've seen on this site.  

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What if I told you that Trevor Davis never once fielded a punt inside the 5 yard line last year?

I was aboard the keep Davis train all offseason, but with him missing all of camp and others stepping up, not anymore. Did nothing to earn his spot and was an idiot this offseason which put him on thin ice to begin with.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

The fact that he fielded 4 and not 3 and not 2 inside the 10 tells you he was clearly coached to do so.

It was actually 10.  Four of which were good decisions because the opposition was behind him and would have downed the ball closer to the goal line.  

"Clearly coached to do so" is a questionable inference at best.  Especially since Green Bay hasn't had a history of punt returners that have fielded the ball inside the 10 yard line before Trevor Davis.  One would think the coaching would be consistent no matter who was fielding the punts.  

Those of you defending Davis must also have fairly short term memory, as he's muffed several punts in the preseason as well as regular season.  He's not great at catching the ball cleanly.  

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

The fact that he fielded 4 and not 3 and not 2 inside the 10 tells you he was clearly coached to do so.

This is the same guy who made a bomb joke....at an airport. I'm not giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's not simply an idiot, lol.

3 minutes ago, Cheech said:

It was actually 10.  Four of which were good decisions because the opposition was behind him and would have downed the ball closer to the goal line.  

"Clearly coached to do so" is a questionable inference at best.  Especially since Green Bay hasn't had a history of punt returners that have fielded the ball inside the 10 yard line before Trevor Davis.  One would think the coaching would be consistent no matter who was fielding the punts.  

Those of you defending Davis must also have fairly short term memory, as he's muffed several punts in the preseason as well as regular season.  He's not great at catching the ball cleanly.  

He's really nowhere near as bad as you're making him out to be.

He's a good PR. Not anything great but he's definitely good at it.

2 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Yeah, I don't see "extremely low upside" with Kumerow. He's big and talented and seems to have some burst, as evidenced by his two long TDs this preseason.

Yet he's going into his 3rd year and has yet to make an active roster much less make it on a NFL field.  I like Kumerow but I'm failing to see the upside.  I can't name one single quality NFL starter who had to bounce around to 3 different practice squads in his first 2 years because he wasn't good enough to make an active roster.  Given that these same preseason games made Jeff Janis look like a future star in his first 2 years I like to hedge my enthusiasm a bit.  Kumerow is going to be 27 by next season's end and for that reason alone I'm not sure I'd keep him over any of the 3 rookies (and I never bought the absurd hype that this rookie class had).

Like I said previously, I think Allison and Kumerow are battling for the same spot.  I wouldn't at all be upset if he won out as he's clearly got more hop to his step than Allison and I'm not sure there is anything when it comes to playing the position that Allison is better at.

29 minutes ago, Cheech said:

4 inside the 10 yard line that were absolutely boneheaded.  

But let's go ahead and keep him as our 6th or 7th receiver on the roster even though he offers nothing at his position and hasn't even shown the ability to stay healthy.  Just so he might return one or two punts on the year.  

Dumbest take I've seen on this site.  

Where are you getting the idea that you don't cover a ball on the 10 yard line? This isn't highschool football. Punters can put backspin on the ball. 

10 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Where are you getting the idea that you don't cover a ball on the 10 yard line? This isn't highschool football. Punters can put backspin on the ball. 

Are you denying that Davis made any mistakes when he fielded punts inside the 10 yard line last year?  

At what point would you recommend a player not fair catch a punt?  

The fact is, Davis is just as likely to made a dumb move fair catching the ball when he shouldn't or muff a ball as he is likely to break a long punt return.  

Archived