Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If we cut Davis, it will be one year before people are complaining we don't have a threat at punt returner.

Huh? We got two of the best punt returner! ... their names? Aaron Rodgers and Mason Crosby.... you punt it and they'll somehow return it for points on the board! :P:D

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

If we cut Davis, it will be one year before people are complaining we don't have a threat at punt returner.

The complaints over Hyde were significant while he was here.

Davis is a reliable put returner while also providing a threat.  It's tough to get both.

And before anybody points out his one "muff" in his rookie year, he was illegally touched.  Returners can bobble the ball all they want on a fair catch and defenders CANNOT touch them until the ball touches the ground.  It was a terrible call that cannot be put on Davis anymore than Aaron's fumble in the Cardinals playoff game.

Its just funny to me how quick opinions change.  For years people here wanted a threat at PR.  We have one.  Now it's not that important.

That's all very fair. Well said. I'm not at all suggesting you couldn't make a case for Davis. After the premiums, I'd be willing to talk about a few of them and Davis would be right in there.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

That very much surprises me, though I admit I don't watch STs too closely and mainly watched Janis.

Was Davis playing better than Evans at gunners? Also looks like Evans and Janis got the 2nd and 3rd most ST snaps, so maybe Evans was someone else on that same unit.

Josh Jones and Davis tended to split the role. As I go back through, it looks like it was Davis/Janis on pin opportunities and Jones/Janis on standard looks. Looks like about a 50/50 split.

Evans was on every unit IIRC towards the end. Just a good athlete who didn't make too many mistakes and wasn't being counted on too much for his primary unit. 

13 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

I wouldn't disagree that Kumerow might be able to catch more ball than any of the rookies THIS YEAR. I just don't think what Kumerow would give ya this year is worth losing one of these very talented rookies. If your suggesting they can stash one of J'Mon, MVS, or EQ on the practice squad that's just flat wrong IMO. As I said before, those kids either play for the Packers or the Browns lead brass send them a thank you card for the cheap talent.

Nope, I'm suggesting/hoping for anything that gives us an excuse to IR/PUP one or two of them.  

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Nope, I'm suggesting/hoping for anything that gives us an excuse to IR/PUP one or two of them.  

At this point, Davis is the most logical option to IR, given he hasn't seen the practice field since he put pads on.  

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

That's not as easy in today's NFL as you might think. Even more so the more talented they are. 

36 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The top 6 to me of Tae, Cobb, Allison, Moore, ESB and MVS would be locked in. I'd sit down with Zook and ask about his thoughts about the return positions and gunner sans Davis, if he's totally comfortable I cut Davis and keep Kumerow, if not I start seeing if I can get a 7th or a guy in a similar position elsewhere out of Kumerow. With how comfortable Aaron is with the TEs this year I'm not sure how much 4 wide we even see. 

Agree with this - and I wouldnt have a problem KEEPING Davis. Again - I was hopeful he's pickup and show his WR'ing skills. I think he's got talents there - but that looks like opportunity lost at this stage. Plus - to accentuate @AlexGreen#20 - point (which I'd also raised) - the lack of turnovers on ST's matters.

Bottom line - I'm just not sold on Kumerow. We've yet to see him against #1 DBs where he could quickly and right before our eyes revert back to PS Kumerow.

I'll take Allison over him and keep all the rookies.

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I guess I'm just not seeing any reason to risk 2 turnovers on punt returns this year for the option to take snaps away from a more talented rookie. If we even keep 7, which I'm still dubious on. 

Again - where did this idea that Davis is 100% secure catching a punt come from?  He's bobbled/muffed multiple punts in the last two years.  And how do we know that the next guy is more of a risk of muffing a punt than Davis?  This is pure conjecture.  This isn't just about this year, either.  The whole point of keeping the rookies is 1-2 years down the line when Cobb and Allison are no longer in Packer uniform.       

3 minutes ago, palmy50 said:

That's not as easy in today's NFL as you might think. Even more so the more talented they are. 

I guess I'll take your word for it, but I'm looking at the Patriots injury report last year and they had 11 guys on IR for week 1.

You're telling me Matt Lengel who got IR'd August 27th and already had an injury settlement and was playing for the Texans by September 30th was really done for the year legitimately?

Maybe that's just an exception to the rule, and maybe that's just Belichick taking things too far, but I've seen some terrible lines given for that.

Or is the Injury Settlement the peaceful option, and teams only get fussy when there's no compromise on an injury settlement?

+++

Hell, Kumerow's already done the BS Injured Reserve thing last year. 

33 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

The complaints over Hyde were significant while he was here.

Davis is a reliable put returner while also providing a threat.  It's tough to get both.

And before anybody points out his one "muff" in his rookie year, he was illegally touched.  Returners can bobble the ball all they want on a fair catch and defenders CANNOT touch them until the ball touches the ground.  It was a terrible call that cannot be put on Davis anymore than Aaron's fumble in the Cardinals playoff game.

Its just funny to me how quick opinions change.  For years people here wanted a threat at PR.  We have one.  Now it's not that important.

I must have missed when Davis became a "threat" as a returner 

2 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Again - where did this idea that Davis is 100% secure catching a punt come from?  He's bobbled/muffed multiple punts in the last two years.  And how do we know that the next guy is more of a risk of muffing a punt than Davis?  This is pure conjecture.  This isn't just about this year, either.  The whole point of keeping the rookies is 1-2 years down the line when Cobb and Allison are no longer in Packer uniform.       

No, he legitimately has not.

He had one muff his rookie year on a play where he waved for a fair catch and was contacted before the ball hit the ground. Would it have been a muff if he hadn't been fouled, possibly. But Davis has LITERALLY been 100% secure on punts in his career on plays where he was not fouled. 

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, he legitimately has not.

He had one muff his rookie year on a play where he waved for a fair catch and was contacted before the ball hit the ground. Would it have been a muff if he hadn't been fouled, possibly. But Davis has LITERALLY been 100% secure on punts in his career on plays where he was not fouled. 

He had major issues in 2016 when he was trying out for the position.  He had another one that he lost in the PS vs. Washington last year.  He bobbled the one vs. Tennessee before he got hit.  He's no Charles Woodson or Micah Hyde.  Those guys looked effortless when they fielded a punt.  Davis isn't close.  

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I guess I'll take your word for it, but I'm looking at the Patriots injury report last year and they had 11 guys on IR for week 1.

You're telling me Matt Lengel who got IR'd August 27th and already had an injury settlement and was playing for the Texans by September 30th was really done for the year legitimately?

Maybe that's just an exception to the rule, and maybe that's just Belichick taking things too far, but I've seen some terrible lines given for that.

Or is the Injury Settlement the peaceful option, and teams only get fussy when there's no compromise on an injury settlement?

+++

Hell, Kumerow's already done the BS Injured Reserve thing last year. 

This was VERY common in year's past. It's still done in a hush hush manner today, I'm sure. Much harder talking a premiere talent into doing such a thing though. It's not in their best interest to do so if they are not truly injured. The Kumerow's of the NFL might be willing to do so. The studs know they can find employment elsewhere as does their agent. Settlements are often done after the agent gets word of possible employment elsewhere.

Archived