Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

1 minute ago, Mr Anonymous said:

It's also not unheard of for a rookie that gets cut to sign on with a different team's practice squad over the offer from the team that cut them. That's another layer added to the risk and why teams usually defer to rookies in these tough cuts. The player can like the opportunity more elsewhere or flat out be bitter about being cut.

Sure, and as I pointed out, we can pay more to keep them, and if they are the type that want s to leave then do you really want them?

The Packers often make changes after week 1 that indicate they didn't intend to carry a player on the 53 all year. They simply felt it would be easier to get that player on to the PS after the season has begun when teams are more adverse against changes unless injury forces their hand.

I don't htink you are interpreting those moves correctly- I have never seen them "swap guys" on the practice squad.  

They have had guys cut from the 53 in the first week due to additions from waiver claims, but I don't recall swapping with the practice squad.  

Can you show me a swap that has taken place?

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Sure, and as I pointed out, we can pay more to keep them, and if they are the type that want s to leave then do you really want them?

Probably not, but then again that side of a player doesn't always present itself until after they've been cut. Watch the activity, specifically transfers to and from the PS that occurs throughout the NFL right after week 1. You'll see it.

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I don't htink you are interpreting those moves correctly- I have never seen them "swap guys" on the practice squad.  

They have had guys cut from the 53 in the first week due to additions from waiver claims, but I don't recall swapping with the practice squad.  

It's not a clean swap. You have to cut someone off your 53 and promote another player from your PS. You then hope the player you cut will be willing to sign on to your PS after he clears waivers. This unclean swap has much higher chances of succeeding in season.

Probably not, but then again that side of a player doesn't always present itself until after they've been cut. Watch the activity, specifically transfers to and from the PS that occurs throughout the NFL right after week 1. You'll see it.

Probably not.

I am going to move on.  I think your plan is flawed, but you are entitled to your opinion.

53 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

From what I can remember, it's only happen with waiver claims and guys coming off suspension. Like if everyone stays healthy the Packers will release someone for RB Aaron Taylor coming off suspension.

My WR depth as it stands right now:
1. Adams

2. Cobb

3. Kumerow

4. St. Brown

5. Allison

6. Valdez-Scantling

7. Trevor Davis

8. Moore

9. Yancey

10. who cares 

If I am correct on Allison's place on the roster at the #5 receiver (perfectly willing to admit I very well might not be), his roster spot would be tenuous. The #5 WR isn't going to get many reps. Why keep a guy who has reached his upside which, IMO, Allison has. He might be still holding the #3 WR spot at this point of the proceedings. I don't see him keeping that position all year long. 

This is basically how I see it:

Adams and Cobb are locks. There is no way around it. I am assuming they keep 6, so that means 4 more spots up for discussion. 3 of those spots are the three rookies and maybe this is one the spot Trevor Davis is fighting for. Those are basically spots 4-5-6. The number 3 spot is for a low upside guy you can count on right now. Going in, this was probably Allison's spot but if Kumerow makes the roster, that's the job he takes.

19 minutes ago, spilltray said:

This is basically how I see it:

Adams and Cobb are locks. There is no way around it. I am assuming they keep 6, so that means 4 more spots up for discussion. 3 of those spots are the three rookies and maybe this is one the spot Trevor Davis is fighting for. Those are basically spots 4-5-6. The number 3 spot is for a low upside guy you can count on right now. Going in, this was probably Allison's spot but if Kumerow makes the roster, that's the job he takes.

There's no way Kumerow replaces Allison. Not happening.

Correction: There's no way Kumerow gets Allison kicked off the team. IF they're both on the roster perhaps Kumerow would take some of his snaps - but thats far from certain at this point.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

There's no way Kumerow replaces Allison. Not happening.

Correction: There's no way Kumerow gets Allison kicked off the team. IF they're both on the roster perhaps Kumerow would take some of his snaps - but thats far from certain at this point.

Possibly, but I think the Packers will do everything possible to keep all three rookie draft picks. If Kumerow clearly outplays him, the Allison gets cut scenario becomes a bit more plausible. Not saying it is going to happen, but stranger things have happened.

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

Possibly, but I think the Packers will do everything possible to keep all three rookie draft picks. If Kumerow clearly outplays him, the Allison gets cut scenario becomes a bit more plausible. Not saying it is going to happen, but stranger things have happened.

Simply dont see that happening in any way. We're not going to dump a 3rd year guy with experience and accomplishment in the system for a practice squad guy and three rookies. If Kumerow (or anyone's) kept and they outplay Allison - then the shift makes sense. Otherwise, its....well, its not gonna happen. Dumping Allison would be a foolish move at this time IMO.

I think one of the reasons we re seeing Rollins at PR is to see if we can replace Davis on returns yes he’s hurt but if ewe can find the return value at a position like Rollins who we could put as.a 4 safety and Cb we can keep more of the upside. If they feel we need DVis for return value a couple of those rooks will be cut. 

3 hours ago, Golfman said:

My WR depth as it stands right now:
1. Adams

2. Cobb

3. Kumerow

4. St. Brown

5. Allison

6. Valdez-Scantling

7. Trevor Davis

8. Moore

9. Yancey

10. who cares 

If I am correct on Allison's place on the roster at the #5 receiver (perfectly willing to admit I very well might not be), his roster spot would be tenuous. The #5 WR isn't going to get many reps. Why keep a guy who has reached his upside which, IMO, Allison has. He might be still holding the #3 WR spot at this point of the proceedings. I don't see him keeping that position all year long. 

There's a reason Allison runs with the #1s and Kumerow doesn't. He's not behind Kumerow, Packer fans are getting way too caught up here.

Archived