Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

12 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

At this point, I don't think the "we are definitely keeping Kumerow" crowd is any more likely to be wrong than the "we are definitely cutting Kumerow" crowd.

Vegas is actually offering odds on this. Its called the Kum.....er.....no?  wager.

9 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Why? He clearly has shown he's a better player than Moore is at this point in the proceedings? He knows the offense well enough to step in and be in the right place at the right time. You can't count on the rookie WR's to do the same.

I guess I don't believe being drafted gives you an automatic right to a roster spot. We cut draft picks almost every year. We've cut a 4th round draft pick before. He happened to be a WR.  

Since 2001, as far back as I could find records for, we've cut two fourth round draft picks in their rookie year:

Jeremy Thompson was a medical release.

Cory Rodgers was shooting off a gun in the middle of a bar parking lot brawl between his TCU teammates and legitimate gang members. I think he also sucked in camp but this was an eternity ago and I don't remember. 

If you look at the replay of Kumerow's TD the injury doesn't look serious. Why do I say this? After he scores he raises both arms above his head and points at the G on his helmet. You don't do that if you have a severe separation. 

I'm not sure the kid will play this week, but would be surprised if he's not out there in the last preseason game securing his roster spot. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Since 2001, as far back as I could find records for, we've cut two fourth round draft picks in their rookie year:

Jeremy Thompson was a medical release.

Cory Rodgers was shooting off a gun in the middle of a bar parking lot brawl between his TCU teammates and legitimate gang members. I think he also sucked in camp but this was an eternity ago and I don't remember. 

Cory Rodgers couldn't catch a cold. How many of those years did we draft 3 - WR? I was always under the impression we went for three hoping to find 1 good one. We may have gotten really lucky and found 2 really good ones, potentially. 

We also had an abundance of picks this year. So many, we drafted a punter and a long snapper. 

Not sure how anyone can look at the tape of the first two games and not come away with the conclusion that Kumerow is not one of our top 5 guys at WR. 

Also, that was one impressive throw by Kizer on the sidelines to him. That took some serious arm strength and he threw it on a line. 

My guess at WR right now: Adams, Cobb, Allison, Kumerow, Valdes-Scantling, St. Brown. We try and get a few guys on the practice squad as well. 

15 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Cory Rodgers couldn't catch a cold. How many of those years did we draft 3 - WR? I was always under the impression we went for three hoping to find 1 good one. We may have gotten really lucky and found 2 really good ones, potentially. 

We also had an abundance of picks this year. So many, we drafted a punter and a long snapper. 

Not sure how anyone can look at the tape of the first two games and not come away with the conclusion that Kumerow is not one of our top 5 guys at WR. 

Also, that was one impressive throw by Kizer on the sidelines to him. That took some serious arm strength and he threw it on a line. 

My guess at WR right now: Adams, Cobb, Allison, Kumerow, Valdes-Scantling, St. Brown. We try and get a few guys on the practice squad as well. 

You know Golf thinking the same thing.  It would be tough to expose Moore tho.  Was listening to MM's presser when asked about Kumerow.  He transitioned into a discussion about all the variables involved in personnel evaluation and the PS.  Reading between the lines it looks like the coaches feel different then we do.  Personally I don't know how Kume doesn't make the 53 after last nights performance. He's done everything right.  Maybe they still need to see more.  It reminds me of the movie "Invinsible" about Vince Papale.  The parallels are exact.  Hometown guy overcoming impossible odds to make the team.  I am rooting for him not only because of his production but the affect it could have on team chemistry.  Great movie btw give it a watch.

Still think it's crazy that we're comparing a guy older than Adams to the rookies. Just doesn't make any sense.

Kumerow is 26 years old and is currently in his 4th NFL training camp.

Scantling is 23 years old and in his 1st training camp.

Moore is 23 years old and is in his 1st training camp.

St. Brown is 21 years old and is in his 1st training camp.

Kumerow sticks - I've no problem - so long as one of the three isnt sacrificed. Find another body somewhere. Its not a either or in my mind. The three stay. Personally I think Allison brings everything Kumerow does - but no matter. He's done well in TC. My firewall is the three.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Still think it's crazy that we're comparing a guy older than Adams to the rookies. Just doesn't make any sense.

I would think the issue is are we in "win now mode" or do we still care about development for the future.

Right now, if you had injuries in week one and going into the Vikings game, which would you rather trot out there?  I think from the pure win now mode, it would have to be Kumerow.

I really doubt that we are in pure win now mode- so we will have to wait and see.

I do think that people over rate J'mon based on draft status and early media coverage, because from what little I can see from the network feed, I don't see a guy who is getting the remarkable separation that other see.  In defense of J'mon, the "dropped" deep ball was more due to the defensive player hooking his left arm.  Lofton said he should go up aggressively for the ball, but it could have been called defensive pass interference as well.  That was a difficult play on a contested ball, which is where J'mon has struggled so far.

My belief is it will come down to whether or not the team still sees in the rookies what they believe they saw in them before the draft, how they view their development so far, etc.

I think they will trust their draft evaluations, and keep 7 WR's this year.  

34 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's not a matter of comparing Kumerow to the rookies.  The question is what's the best way to balance what's best for the future vs what's best for 2018.  Right now, Kumerow appears to be a more usable player than any of the rookies, and it doesn't appear to be particularly close.  GB is going to need one of these players this season.

Just now, Mazrimiv said:

It's not a matter of comparing Kumerow to the rookies.  The question is what's the best way to balance what's best for the future vs what's best for 2018.

I'm really not seeing Kumerow looking so much better in 2018 that I'm willing to flush a more talented player for him. 

4 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm really not seeing Kumerow looking so much better in 2018 that I'm willing to flush a more talented player for him. 

I'm in the same boat.  Kumerow might be better this upcoming season, but I'm not exposing any of my 3 WRs to waivers to keep him.  I think the only way they keep Kumerow is if they keep 7 WRs.

51 minutes ago, spilltray said:

Every year there are guys people are just sure will make the roster based on stats. It usually is RB, but Kumerow has that feel now.

Every year we also have developmental WR's who the fanbase insists will be picked up if they are released, and they rarely are.

16 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

GB is going to need one of these players this season.

Well unless Davis is gonna get an outright "pass" on this years TC and make the roster again solely for his return skills - MVS has the (endangered) KO returns down and JJ can handle the PRs.

That said and realizing it has nothing to do with the WR position - which was the thrust of your comment - I'd have no problem fitting EQ or MVS into the passing game mix - this year. Get them the ball. Good things will happen. Trust me. :)

Or better put - dont trust me - trust the talent.

Archived