Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

10 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I do find it interesting that they seem to be moving away from WR numbers in the 80's and using the high teens instead.  Not sure why.

Doesn't help that 5 of the 10 options are currently occupied by our tight ends and a running back, plus Jordy's vacant #87. Still, Moore and MVS got numbers in the 80s.

41 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I do find it interesting that they seem to be moving away from WR numbers in the 80's and using the high teens instead.  Not sure why.

Because the 80s are all taken with WRs, TEs and former WRs (Monty).

ESB stock down (middle of the pack)

Moore Stock neutral (already fairly low)

MVS stock neutral (fairly high)

Kumerow stock way up (now very high)

Is it possible Kumerow takes G-mo's spot as the "reliable guy" I really don't think so, but that might be his path to 53

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

I may have a bias against Kumerow but let's stop with the nonsense.

We aren't cutting Cobb or Allison to keep him. Just like we aren't cutting Kizer or Hundley to keep Boyle.

I’m not trying to be an arse, but help me out with what makes Cobb special right now. The last great play I remember him making: he made an awesome, leaping grab, landed on the ball and punctured his lung. Dude’s got tough miles on him. 

Just now, blueswedeshoes said:

I’m not trying to be an arse, but help me out with what makes Cobb special right now. The last great play I remember him making: he made an awesome, leaping grab, landed on the ball and punctured his lung. Dude’s got tough miles on him. 

That TD catch and run against the Panthers week 15 of last year was pretty fantastic.  He's shifty in the open field, he has very reliable hands, he can play like four positions, and he plays his absolute heart out for 4 quarters no matter the score.  He's not elite, but that's a damn good complementary piece.

Just now, blueswedeshoes said:

Eh.  you may be trying not to be, but I don't think you're succeeding...

A veteran proven guy who gets open with some regularity.  If there was a question of "is Randall viable" that would have been handled at the same time that we moved on from Jordy.

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

That TD catch and run against the Panthers week 15 of last year was pretty fantastic.  He's shifty in the open field, he has very reliable hands, he can play like four positions, and he plays his absolute heart out for 4 quarters no matter the score.  He's not elite, but that's a damn good complementary piece.

Good. Cobb more than anyone else seemed to disappear in Hundley era 1. I’d like to think the Cobb you describe is stillbthe Cobb we have. 

3 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Good. Cobb more than anyone else seemed to disappear in Hundley era 1. I’d like to think the Cobb you describe is stillbthe Cobb we have. 

It seems to be, from what we've heard and seen in camp.  Cobb was never an elite piece; his contract was a bit of an overpay made necessary because he had what will absolutely be his best statistical season in his contract year.  But he's a very valuable chess piece due to versatility and intelligence.  The Packers win over the Pats in 2014 was a clinic in this; they kept moving him around to draw bad match-ups and then exploited them.  

As far as disappearing in the Hundley era, you're not wrong, but it's not terribly surprising either.  Hundley didn't have the experience and acumen to take advantage of Cobb as a chess piece, and his lack of consistent accuracy limited RAC opportunities.  Cobb had 30 for 302 yards and 2 TDs in the 5 games he played with Rodgers; over a full season he would have had 96 catches for 966 yards and 6 TDs at that pace, which would have been a damn solid year for your slot/gadget option.

32 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Could Cobb be a shock cut this year?

I’m not seeing the lockiest of locks there unless the dead $ is an issue. 

I keep thinking this as well. He is constantly hurt and I would prefer a big body in the slot compared to him. 

Archived