Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

Just now, CWood21 said:

There's a reason why the Packers haven't cut a pick before the 5th round prior to the start of the regular season.  I believe David Clowney (157th overall pick) is the highest pick that the Packers have released.  I think the difference you're making is being understated.

Not true, Cory Rodgers, the last WR we drafted in the 4th round didn't make the roster.  

Even then, ESB was the better prospect that dropped because of off the field issues.  Moore wasn't a better prospect and its shown thus far in camp and in the preseason.  ESB is more polished and substantially more versatile.  

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's a reason why J'Mon Moore was drafted in the 4th round, and ESB wasn't drafted until the 6th round.

You are right.  Off the field issues.  Find me one college evaluator that had Moore ranked higher than ESB.  I   can't believe 

That's like saying Carl Bradford is a better football player than pro bowl LB Tevlin Smith.  I mean, if all that matters is draft position like you are suggesting.

From the very little that we've seen, EQ has the edge.  He's clearly talented; smooth route runner, good hands, great size/speed combo, and he appears to be a smart player as well.  

Moore looks like a slightly quicker version of Davante Adams.  He finds a way to win off of the line, he creates separation on all of his routes.  He appears to be dangerous after the catch and he did a nice job in the red Zone in college.  

EQ still takes plays off even after 12 criticized their work ethic. Moore has the dropsies.  

Both need to be retained on the 53.  

1 minute ago, Cheech said:

From the very little that we've seen, EQ has the edge.  He's clearly talented; smooth route runner, good hands, great size/speed combo, and he appears to be a smart player as well.  Moore looks like a slightly quicker version of Davante Adams.  He finds a way to win off of the line, he creates separation on all of his routes.  He appears to be dangerous after the catch and he did a nice job in the red Zone in college. Both need to be retained on the 53.  

Yup.

14 minutes ago, SSG said:

You are right.  Off the field issues.  Find me one college evaluator that had Moore ranked higher than ESB.  I   can't believe 

That's like saying Carl Bradford is a better football player than pro bowl LB Tevlin Smith.  I mean, if all that matters is draft position like you are suggesting.

Saying that ESB fell only because of character issues is selling him short.  His production dipped significantly in his last season at Notre Dame, he has a bit of an "interesting" personality that will rub some people the wrong way, and hadn't shown the ability to get off of press coverage.

And your comparison doesn't hold weight since Carl Bradford has proven not to be able to play in the NFL, where as Telvin Smith has.  We're talking about two untested rookies here.

28 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Saying that ESB fell only because of character issues is selling him short.  His production dipped significantly in his last season at Notre Dame, he has a bit of an "interesting" personality that will rub some people the wrong way, and hadn't shown the ability to get off of press coverage.

And your comparison doesn't hold weight since Carl Bradford has proven not to be able to play in the NFL, where as Telvin Smith has.  We're talking about two untested rookies here.

EQ fell because of personality questions. He was a far superior prospect to Moore and MVS on the field. You're big into the draft, you know this too.

None of these 3 are going to get cut. You see the year 2 jump in Yancey. Look at how Dupre is impressing in Buffalo. The Packers are going to want the 2nd year jump for these 3 all to themselves.

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

EQ fell because of personality questions. He was a far superior prospect to Moore and MVS on the field. You're big into the draft, you know this too.

None of these 3 are going to get cut. You see the year 2 jump in Yancey. Look at how Dupre is impressing in Buffalo. The Packers are going to want the 2nd year jump for these 3 all to themselves.

I think production must have had something to do with it their draft positions. Here are the stats for their senior seasons:

Equanimeous St. Brown: 33 catches, 515 yards, 15.6 avg., 4 TDs

J'Mon Moore: 65 catches, 1,082 yards, 16.6 avg., 10 TDs

Marquez Valdez-Scantling: 53 catches, 879 yards, 16.6 avg., 6 TDs

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd lost track of the guy. What's he doing in BUF? Just checked the stats for their first PS game and he didnt register anything.

6 minutes ago, Greg C. said:

I think production must have had something to do with it their draft positions. Here are the stats for their senior seasons:

Equanimeous St. Brown: 33 catches, 515 yards, 15.6 avg., 4 TDs

J'Mon Moore: 65 catches, 1,082 yards, 16.6 avg., 10 TDs

Marquez Valdez-Scantling: 53 catches, 879 yards, 16.6 avg., 6 TDs

JMon Moore is playing with the potential #1 overall pick next year.

MVS had a highly successful college college QB that had 71 career TDs to only 23 picks.

ESB's QB completed 49% of his passes last year, 49%.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

JMon Moore is playing with the potential #1 overall pick next year.

MVS had a highly successful college college QB that had 71 career TDs to only 23 picks.

ESB's QB completed 49% of his passes last year, 49%.

Notre Dame had a team QB completion percentage of 51.7%.  ESB had a catch rate of 44.6%. The next most targeted receiver at Notre Dame was a Sophomore named Claypool (6-4 228). His catch rate was 64.4%. 

4 hours ago, SSG said:

It's the meat and potatoes because Thompson used 21 4th round picks in years.  Just my opinion when you are talking about the same position there is very little difference in the prospects in most cases.

By my count, Thompson used 20 pick on the 4th rounders and he used 20 picks on 6th rounders over his 13 years, which would make it an equal muli-year sample. So the having more than a single pick in some years doesn't really matter since it's the same amount for the two rounds we're discussion (or very close, if it's 21 like you said).

And it's just my opinion that on average, better players get selected with higher round selections than lower round selections... of course there are a lot of exceptions, which is why I'm saying on average.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I definitely disagree about "far superior".  I don't mind you arguing that you thought he was better than Moore, but I don't agree that he was a far superior prospect.  I don't think we ever got a real good evaluation of MVS given that his QB was really a RB disguised as a RB.  You were drafting the athlete in MVS and hoping you could mold him.

1 hour ago, firstdown said:

Notre Dame had a team QB completion percentage of 51.7%.  ESB had a catch rate of 44.6%. The next most targeted receiver at Notre Dame was a Sophomore named Claypool (6-4 228). His catch rate was 64.4%. 

Yes.  Hands were definitely a question mark surrounding him.

1 hour ago, jontat83 said:

I can't see the Packers cutting any of their picks so it's probably going to be Kumerow if there isn't enough space on the Roster.

Yup. Those rookies are either gonna be playing for the Packers or that lead brass in Cleveland will be sending their former coworkers a thank you card for the dirt cheap/no risk talent. It's really that simple. 

I'm pretty sure they keep Allison as well. The question in my eyes is if Kumerow, Yancey, or Davis is worth keeping seven? 

Kumerow would be next man up for me followed by Yancey and then Davis. I just think you might be able to stash Yancey and I personally don't blink an eye at cutting Davis. 

Archived