Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

43 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Still think some people are maybe getting their hopes up a little too high for these receivers based on their preseason performances.  Playing with a backup QB against vanilla second team defenses in the preseason is a completely different experience than regular season with particularly picky Rodgers. 

Jeff Janis had 2 catches for 67 yards and 2 touchdowns in his first preseason.  Made the team.  Special teams. 
Yancey had 3 catches for 67 yards in his first preseason game.  Still got cut.
Davis had 4 catches for 45 yards in his first preseason.  Made the team... Special teams value.

Don't think all three of Moore, St. Brown and MVS make the team like everybody here seems to assume.

Still think it will be Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis, and three of Kumerow, St. Brown, MVS, Moore based solely on experience and special teams value. 

Janis scored twice his first fake game? Why do I not remember this lol

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Still think some people are maybe getting their hopes up a little too high for these receivers based on their preseason performances.  Playing with a backup QB against vanilla second team defenses in the preseason is a completely different experience than regular season with particularly picky Rodgers. 

Jeff Janis had 2 catches for 67 yards and 2 touchdowns in his first preseason.  Made the team.  Special teams. 
Yancey had 3 catches for 67 yards in his first preseason game.  Still got cut.
Davis had 4 catches for 45 yards in his first preseason.  Made the team... Special teams value.

Don't think all three of Moore, St. Brown and MVS make the team like everybody here seems to assume.

Still think it will be Adams, Cobb, Allison, Davis, and three of Kumerow, St. Brown, MVS, Moore based solely on experience and special teams value. 

I'd sig bet that.

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'd sig bet that.

Awe, I've forgotten all about sig bets, what are the general average agreements again? Like how long?

Also is this just for the profile sig? I'm not seeing any body of post sigs.

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Usually I've been against the Packers holding more than 6 like most people have seemed to want to every single year... but if there was ever a time, it's right now to make sure to keep the three draft picks, who might not be ready right now, but show more future opinion than a lot of the other WRs ever have. ALSO, Cobb (UFA) and Gmo (RFA) are FAs after this year... so they potentially could go from 7 this year to losing those two and still having 5 ready to go for next year (especially if they need to save money for some $22 million pass rusher).

Though I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they go with 6 WRs again.... if you do a 53 man roster, it's hard to keep depth/talent around the team with 7 WRs. I mean it's possible, with 2 QBs or 2 RBs or maybe 8 OL, but I just don't see those very likely, especially when you consider STs might be helped more with letting the defense keep a 26th guy than keeping a 7th WR ... who's basically been ST only.

Also what has Davis ever shown us at WR once the pads go on? ... every year you hear about how great Davis looks in shorts... then pads go on and you never hear from him again outside PR... as of right now, I'D SO keep the rookie draft picks over him. Though maybe I'm biased because Davis upset me with what appeared to be lack of effort once he got on the field at the end of last year.... I get that Hundley sucked... but you rarely get on the field with the offense, and Cobb is laying out trying to grab anything... you shouldn't be jogging the route out, especially when the ball is thrown your way and if you jump or dive (like others were clearly doing), you might get fingers on it... probably still be a drop, but at least give full effort.

The problem with keeping all 3, is if you also keep Hundley and Kizer, you now have 4 roster spots that are solely developmental, with very little help for this year, no special team value.  I just don't see it.  I think they are going to have to roll the dice on one of those three getting through to the PS.  They often keep a couple guys for development, but 4 seems excessive.  Maybe I'm not remembering the past back end of the roster as well as I think, but it seems too much to me.

10 minutes ago, mikebpackfan said:

The problem with keeping all 3, is if you also keep Hundley and Kizer, you now have 4 roster spots that are solely developmental, with very little help for this year, no special team value.  I just don't see it.  I think they are going to have to roll the dice on one of those three getting through to the PS.  They often keep a couple guys for development, but 4 seems excessive.  Maybe I'm not remembering the past back end of the roster as well as I think, but it seems too much to me.

I do not concur.

16 minutes ago, Cheesehawk said:

Adams, Cobb, Allison, MVS, Moore, ESB

That's how I'd call it at this moment if they go 6 at WR,.............but Kumerow might still have something to say about the final choices, and Davis might still be kept for his punt returns. Who doesn't have a chair to sit on, when the music stops ?

Round two of the WR merry-go-round tonight.

Going to be interesting the next 3 weeks as there is a lot to sort out. I think Kumerow is going to make the squad. Call it a gut feeling. I think only 2 of the rookies make it and right now Moore seems to be the 3rd rookie on the depth chart. I don't see us keeping Davis just as a returner. 

24 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Call me selfish but I want to keep the 7 WRs and move on from Hundley. Just keep Kizer as QB2 and hope Boyle can stick on the PS for emergency purposes.

Don’t know how you could let go of Huntley at this point. 

Archived