Wide Receiver Outlook

MacReady

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I may have a bias against Kumerow but let's stop with the nonsense.
We aren't cutting Cobb or Allison to keep him. Just like we aren't cutting Kizer or Hundley to keep Boyle.

Thanks for that.

At this point, I don't think the "we are definitely keeping Kumerow" crowd is any more likely to be wrong than the "we are definitely cutting Kumerow" crowd.  Short of injury (which may have already happened) or a significant drop in performance over the next two weeks, I'm leaning toward Kumerow making the roster.   By all accounts, he's been a standout in practice.  He's showing up in the games.  That's exactly how a player in his spot makes the roster.

10 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

At this point, I don't think the "we are definitely keeping Kumerow" crowd is any more likely to be wrong than the "we are definitely cutting Kumerow" crowd.  Short of injury (which may have already happened) or a significant drop in performance over the next two weeks, I'm leaning toward Kumerow making the roster.   By all accounts, he's been a standout in practice.  He's showing up in the games.  That's exactly how a player in his spot makes the roster.

What did I miss? Did he get hurt last night? I only watched until start of 3rd quarter and have been busy all day. 

Hurt his shoulder diving into the EZ on the TD

Being reported now as a sprained SC joint

Rob Demovsky ESPN Staff Writer 

Packers WR Jake Kumerow avoided a serious shoulder injury. It's a sprained SC joint that should heal relatively quickly, per a source.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Just read it after reading your post. It could put his spot in jeopardy, but he seems to have earned a roster spot IMO. Yancey, Davis and Moore haven't done squat that i can tell. 

It's kind of a shame the NFL doesn't have a developmental minor-league system like NBA and mlb.   This conflict-of-interest between long-term Buildican potential and short-term Nowacrat utility is really tricky.  

And especially so since it includes factors outside of management's internal decision-making.  Will Boyle get taken?  Will Moore get taken?  That's not decided by MM and Gute, that's determined by other GM's.  If the Practice Squad was like the Wisconsin Herd for the Bucks, it would be so much nicer.  

37 minutes ago, craig said:

It's kind of a shame the NFL doesn't have a developmental minor-league system like NBA and mlb.   This conflict-of-interest between long-term Buildican potential and short-term Nowacrat utility is really tricky.  

Not to mention Constructicons and Aerialbots. 

?

I'm wondering if Kumerow separated his AC joint in his shoulder. I haven't heard any details about it but from what I saw that looked like what it could've been. That injury, while depending on the severity can take a lot time to recover from, and if not rested/healed long enough, can be a lingering problem. 

He did in fact sprain the AC joint but it won't require surgery. Non-surgical AC joint sprains take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to recover from. 2-3 weeks if you're older. An AC joint sprain is a separated shoulder. Non-surgical treatment is wearing a sling to hold the arm up in correct shoulder alignment.

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Thanks for pointing out Rob Demovsky's report.

24 minutes ago, ReadyToThump said:

I'm wondering if Kumerow separated his AC joint in his shoulder. I haven't heard any details about it but from what I saw that looked like what it could've been. That injury, while depending on the severity can take a lot time to recover from, and if not rested/healed long enough, can be a lingering problem. 

According to Rob Demovsky

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24402579/jake-kumerow-green-bay-packers-wide-receiver-avoids-serious-shoulder-injury

Kumerow sustained a sprained SC joint in his shoulder that neither he nor the Packers medical staff views as a serious concern, a source told ESPN on Friday. It is expected to heal relatively quickly with rest and shouldn't impact Kumerow's availability for the regular season should he make the roster -- something that seemed like a foregone conclusion after his performance in Thursday's night's preseason win over the Steelers.

14 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

He did in fact sprain the AC joint but it won't require surgery. Non-surgical AC joint sprains take anywhere from 1-2 weeks to recover from.

According to Demovsky, it's SC joint, I don't know if there is a difference or not, but I know I've had two really bad AC joint sprains (or at least that's what the doctor said they were), one took my 3 weeks to a month to fully recover and the other one has never completely and totally covered for some reason, it still hurts if my arms is above my head or behind my back for long periods or carrying something pretty heavy.

1 minute ago, Beast said:

According to Demovsky, it's SC joint, I don't know if there is a difference or not, but I know I've had two really bad AC joint sprains (or at least that's what the doctor said they were), one took my 3 weeks to a month to fully recover and the other one has never completely and totally covered for some reason, it still hurts if my arms is above my head or behind my back for long periods or carrying something pretty heavy.

You're right it was the SC joint, not the AC. I too have done it (AC) to both multiple times. The recovery time with SC is the same timeframe. SC sprains are a separation at the collarbone near the breastplate. Can't say I've had that one.

10 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

If he makes the roster we are keeping a lot of WR's and reducing spots elsewhere.

There is no way in my view we are cutting drafted WR picks to keep Kumerow.

The team only has 3 returning WR's with meaningful experience, and it's going to need a 4th to step up in those time when one of the top 3 is out.  A year from now, the best guy to fill that role probably won't be Kumerow, but right now it is.  I think fans are much more fascinated with the idea of Rodgers throwing to the rookies than Rodgers is.  Rodgers wants players out there who know what they are doing, and for now, that guy is Kumerow.

1 hour ago, jontat83 said:

If he makes the roster we are keeping a lot of WR's and reducing spots elsewhere.

There is no way in my view we are cutting drafted WR picks to keep Kumerow.

Why? He clearly has shown he's a better player than Moore is at this point in the proceedings? He knows the offense well enough to step in and be in the right place at the right time. You can't count on the rookie WR's to do the same.

I guess I don't believe being drafted gives you an automatic right to a roster spot. We cut draft picks almost every year. We've cut a 4th round draft pick before. He happened to be a WR.  

Archived