Week 2 Thread: Washington Commanders (1-0) at Detroit Lions (0-1) - 1 PM on FOX

MikeT14

I worry about the middle of the field a lot. Seems like that's been the problem for quite some time. I thought Kendall Fuller and WJ3 looked bad as well. Forest looked good but it was one game. Kam Curl couldn't get back soon enough. I really don't worry about Jamin covering a tight end but if he gets lined up in the slot he's going to get burned, but I put that on JDR, he shouldn't be asked to cover a slot receiver. With a 5-2 set at no point should our linebackers ever be asked to cover a wide receiver, that's the point of being in a 5-2. Jamin has to do a better job against Swift this week or it's going to be a longggg Sunday afternoon for the defense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scott Land said:

I worry about the middle of the field a lot. Seems like that's been the problem for quite some time. I thought Kendall Fuller and WJ3 looked bad as well. Forest looked good but it was one game. Kam Curl couldn't get back soon enough. I really don't worry about Jamin covering a tight end but if he gets lined up in the slot he's going to get burned, but I put that on JDR, he shouldn't be asked to cover a slot receiver. With a 5-2 set at no point should our linebackers ever be asked to cover a wide receiver, that's the point of being in a 5-2. Jamin has to do a better job against Swift this week or it's going to be a longggg Sunday afternoon for the defense. 

I agree, I’d just point out we don’t run a 5-2. We run a 4-2-5.

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Brutal:

You saw what he was last year. You openly talked about how not being able to interview prospects influenced your pick. You know he was going to be an issue going forward because he's not ready and did absolutely nothing at the position. Look, sometimes you get the pick wrong and it happens but plenty of us called this the moment they took him. JOK was there and should've been the pick. Absolutely ridiculous. Just relegate him to back up and sign AJ Johnson.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

Very honest about J Davis’ play. 

I like the personal accountability that Rivera didn’t just dig Davis, he said as a coaching staff we need to do a better job in keeping Jamin out of situations where he’s covering the WR so many times bc it’s not a match up LBs win often.

He said Jamin really played well this off-season and showed well, expects him to be better as the season goes on. 

6 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I like the personal accountability that Rivera didn’t just dig Davis, he said as a coaching staff we need to do a better job in keeping Jamin out of situations where he’s covering the WR so many times bc it’s not a match up LBs win often.

He said Jamin really played well this off-season and showed well, expects him to be better as the season goes on. 

In practice? Because he wasn't good in the preseason either. He was actually so bad that he was the only starter playing in the 3rd preseason game. He's a bust. It is what it is. 

6 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I see your point - I mean I saw the waves of some empty sections - but from the TV, I definitely could HEAR the crowd on some plays. Like something I haven't heard in a while. 

The name is a joke to so many people but I really feel like it brought some in and has some investment

• Like 2

I'm not too worried about this game, as others.

I've got us going 12-5 & the Lions 5-12 in this suffix year.  Now that doesn't mean we can't lose this game. But something tells me we start the year 2-0 & start breaking bad trends we've set over the years. (Haven't started 2-0 since 2011)

Something special about this team, but I can't quite put my finger on it. I noticed it after the draft, but I can't quite figure out why.

Edited by aceinthehouse

48 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I agree, I’d just point out we don’t run a 5-2. We run a 4-2-5.

Sorry, yes they run a 4-2. I was thinking about this summer when there was talks about them running a 5-2 at times and throwing Mathis in the middle to take up space and letting the 4 first rounders get after the QB. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

J. Davis has physical ability. I hate to say it but just can’t pick up the defensive scheme. Between the ears seems to be his problem. 
Make him a situational pass rusher/ ST.

He seems like a nice kid but like @lavar703 said might have to realize you’re only hurting the team at this point. 

I honestly don’t know if that’s it - it may be - but to me he’s just not seeing things the way he should. Like he’s a step slow, so it’s more recognition & instincts rather than knowledge, like he’s overthinking. 

This points to the need for him to play more& why they wasted his rookie year by not just playing him. Last year they needed to have him make mistakes & improving through playing on the job while getting more and more used to the speed of the NFL & more comfortable with his responsibilities & while allowing his instincts to develop and he can just go and go instead of overthinking. Now were still doing that this year & it’s squarely Rivera & JDR’s fault bc they played Bostic over him last September & Mayo over him a lot the second half of last year.

56 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

In practice? Because he wasn't good in the preseason either. He was actually so bad that he was the only starter playing in the 3rd preseason game. He's a bust. It is what it is. 

Too soon to know for me. He may be, but draft picks get 3 years by most peoples accounts to prove their worth. They wasted him last year but not playing him more. Dude’s gonna make mistakes. At least they’re playing him this year and he’ll either learn from them & develop or he’ll bust & we’ll be drafting another LB w/in the first 3 round next year & signing an upgrade in FA… hopefully although Rivera hasn’t shown he wants to do that either so…

Sesame Street Idk GIF