Week 2 GDT: Houston Texans @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Sounds like I'm being contrarion, but I thought PJ Locke might get first crack at replacing Simmons. 

Much more of a pure FS than Simmons, and with Kareem at SS, we will play a ton of Cover 1 and Cover 3.

I get it, but sadly I think we're going to have our S' provide even more run support with our ILB situation.   Doesn't sound like Jewell is going to play Week 2.  He’s “hopeful” but that’s not great on Thursday to be at that stage.  Week 3 seems more likely. 

FWIW to your point - I think Sterns could very well end up as our 2023 SS, pairing up with Simmons.  Think that combo would smash.

Edited by Broncofan

57 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I get it, but sadly I think we're going to have our S' provide even more run support with our ILB situation.   Doesn't sound like Jewell is going to play Week 2.  He’s “hopeful” but that’s not great on Thursday to be at that stage.  Week 3 seems more likely. 

FWIW to your point - I think Sterns could very well end up as our 2023 SS, pairing up with Simmons.  Think that combo would smash.

BTW I meant more of a pure FS than Sterns, not Simmons. Woops

Light practices, zero preseason snaps, and we still got bit with the injury bug. 

This could be some revisionist history on my part.. But it seems like over the last 5-10 years, the number of guys getting hurt like this has really increased league wide. I don’t recall guys always being out with injuries like this when I was younger. I’ve got three theories: 

1) As players continue getting bigger, stronger and faster, the sport is getting harder on their bodies. 

2) They used to make guys play through their injuries more often.  

3) It’s always been this way and I’m just remembering it wrong. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

Light practices, zero preseason snaps, and we still got bit with the injury bug. 

This could be some revisionist history on my part.. But it seems like over the last 5-10 years, the number of guys getting hurt like this has really increased league wide. I don’t recall guys always being out with injuries like this when I was younger. I’ve got three theories: 

1) As players continue getting bigger, stronger and faster, the sport is getting harder on their bodies. 

2) They used to make guys play through their injuries more often.  

3) It’s always been this way and I’m just remembering it wrong. 

What year did they eliminate two-a-days in camp? I imagine that has some impact. There is a lot less contact and conditioning in camp compared the earlier eras. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

Hamler is out. Injuries really starting to mount up now. If Jeudy or Sutton go down we are absolutely rubber ducked.

Time for those young WRs to step up.

Billy Turner has practiced in full all week but Fleming still to start at RT (for some reason)

It’s in Denver.   Conditioning is way behind.   I’m guessing we might see both play.  

6 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Fleming played shockingly well last week, was a force in the run game and didn’t get completely torched in pass pro even though he was dealing with an athletic mismatch in Darrell Taylor who knew the snap count every play 

I was pretty impressed with Cushenberry as well although I’ve not properly studied the coaching tape yet. Our entire OL seemed to have a decent game and I think PFF said they were the second best OL in week 1

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

I was pretty impressed with Cushenberry as well although I’ve not properly studied the coaching tape yet. Our entire OL seemed to have a decent game and I think PFF said they were the second best OL in week 1

That'd be great news if it holds up. I've been really curious how Barry would fill in Kuper and Munchaks shoes. 

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

That'd be great news if it holds up. I've been really curious how Barry would fill in Kuper and Munchaks shoes. 

The continuity of the players is certainly helpful. Hopefully they’ve learned everything from Munchak and the new guy can just turn the handle.