BDL 2022 Week 2 - Hungary Hippos @ Greenland Polar Bears

RuskieTitan

Who Wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Hungary Hippos
    • Greenland Polar Bears

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/22/2022 at 04:00 AM

BDL 2022 Week 2

Match:   Hungary Hippos @ Greenland Polar Bears

Away Owner: @PR

Home Owner:  @Pickle Rick

Vote for who you think would win the game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both.

Hungary Hippos

QB: Carson Wentz

RB: Joe Mixon

WR: DK Metcalf

WR: Tyler Lockett

WR: Adam Thielen

TE: TJ Hockenson

LT: Charles Leno

LG: Andrus Peat

C : Tyler Linderbaum

RG: Gabe Jackson

RT: Trent Brown (Q)

RB2: James Robinson

RB3: Raachad White

WR4: AJ Green

WR5: Marquise Goodwin

TE2: Daniel Bellinger

iOL2 Brady Christensen

Edge: Emmanuel Ogbah

DT: Davon Hamilton

DT: Larry Ogunjobi

Edge: Carlos Dunlap

LB: Shaq Thompson

LB: Logan Wilson

CB: Casey Heyward Jr.

FS: Harrison Smith

SS: Chuck Clark

CB: Amani Oruwariye (Q)

CB: Cameron Sutton

Edge: Charles Harris

Edge: Trey Flowers

DT: Armon Watts

DT: Akiem Hicks

LB: Josh Bynes

CB: Roger McCreary

CB: Emmanuel Moseley

S: Kareem Jackson

Greenland Polar Bears

QB: Tua Tagovailoa
RB: Saquon Barkley
WR X: Stefon Diggs
WR Y: Ceedee Lamb
WR Z: Christian Watson
TE: Tyler Higbee
LT: Rashawn Slater
LG: Trey Smith
😄 Ryan Kelly
RG: Kenyon Green ®
RT: Christian Darrisaw

Bench: 

RB2/WR4: Antonio Gibson
RB3: Cam Akers
G3: Aaron Banks
T3: Cam Robinson
C2: Tyler Biadasz 
TE2: Cole Kmet

4-6 Base D

1200px-46_green.svg.png

LE: Von Miller 
DT: Deforest Buckner (Q)
DT: JJ Watt (Q)
RE: Robert Quinn
WLB1: Travon Walker ®
MLB1: Lavonte David
SLB2: Roquan Smith
CB1: Marahon Lattimore 
CB2: Stephon Gilmore
SS: Nasir Adderley
FS: Jordan Poyer

Bench:

DT3: Jordan Elliott (will start at DT if Watt is out)
DT4: Justin Jones
DE3/OLB3: Drake Jackson ®
LB2: Foyesade Oluokun
LB3: Devin Lloyd ®
CB3: Tariq Woolen ®
CB4: Patrick Peterson
CB5: Jeff Okudah

Hungary Hippos

Offensive Strategy 

Run/Pass: 60/40

With Wentz taking control following Dak's injury, we will make a hard pivot from last week's pass heavy approach and deploy a a run heavy approach this week. With our strong backfield duo of Mixon and Robinson, who will be rotated frequently to ensure fresh legs, we plan to pound the ball against this undersized Greenland DL* and force their LBs to start playing more aggressively to compensate, which we will use to our advantage on play action passes. 

*(JPP- 275 | Buckner- 295 | Watt- 290 vs  Brown- 360 | Gabe- 335 | Linderbaum- 305 | Peat- 315 | Leno- 305)

To curb this fearsome pass rush that smells blood in the water w/ Wentz, we will deploy a variety of tactics:

Screens, screens, screens! Mixon and Robinson are both skilled pass catchers so we will get the ball in their hands out in space as much as possible.

Quick hitting concepts to our TE and slot between the numbers, as the physical outside CBs will likely make quick, timing based, passes difficult to work with our outside WRs on.

Using extra blockers on obvious pass downs.

There is no denying Wentz will be dealing with pressure this game, but we hope to see him build off his 2021 where he had one of the lowest % of turnover worthy throws in the league when under pressure (3.4%), and protect the football even as Von and Quinn coming flying around the edge. Since Wentz is on borrowed time as a backup before Dak returns, his physicality and legs will be on full display. Wentz will surely not hesitate to lower his 6'5 frame if it means picking up the 1st, and with his increased willingness to take off we hope to keep the edge rushers a little more honest.

While this game will ultimately be won by setting the tone through the run game for Hungary, we will look to DK to make some big plays, who has won battles in the recent past against both of Greenland's corners: Gilmore (85 yards, TD in 2020) and Lattimore (96 yards, TD 2021). Wentz has plenty of arm and the willingness to take deep shots to make this happen.

Defense:

This week we face a Greenland offense that lost both Godwin and Julio Jones leaving Diggs. Lamb and rookie Watson as their main points of offensive weaponry.

This week we run mainly zone defense with some man sprinkled throughout so Tua doesn't get used to one scheme. We will utilize Cover 1 and Cover 3 out of our main formation. Our outside corners will be up at the line across from the outside receivers. 

Situationally we will run some three safety looks on defense. The third safety will crash down the middle of the line to throw Tua off his game and make him force passes in tight coverage.

Man Coverage Assignments:

Hayward Jr - Diggs

Oruwariye - Lamb

Sutton - Slot WR

Thompson - RB

Wilson or Smith - Higbee

Running Game: Barkley exploded last week so this week we will move the mammoth Hamilton into the center of the line to plug up the middle. Our drfensive line is stout against the run and our LBers and safeties have sideline to sideline ability to cover ground to stuff the run if Greenland attempts to make that a priority.

Greenland Polar Bears

polar-patroller-polar-bear.gif

Motivation: 

megamind-guilty.gif

monsters-university-johnny-worthington-i

Offensive Formations: 3WR/1TE/1RB (30%), 2WR/2TE/1RB (40%), 1WR/2TE/2RB (30%)

Offensive Tempo: With Hungary searching for their identity following the injury to Dak, we want to control the time of possession and methodically and meticulously drive the ball down the field all while limiting the number of possessions Hungary will have on offense.  

Designed Playcall Distribution: 40% pass, 50% run, 10% playaction/RPO/screens

Running game: Our running game this week will be ramped up in its overall usage.  We want to showcase Saquon Barkley early and often in this game.   We want to manage down and distance as much as possible and will do this by attacking Hungary's interior D-line.  We feel we have a huge advantage with Trey Smith, Ryan Kelly, and Kenyon Green.  We will feature a heavy dose of a power running game featuring plenty of traps and double teams to exploit what will undoubtedly be a D-line gearing up to stop our passing game.  Look for Barkley to have a heavy load this game with our newly acquired weapon (Gibson) getting more 3rd down plays and late 3rd quarter touches to switch up the style and keep Barkely fresh for the 4th quarter.  One of the keys to our running this game will be using our Jumbo package about 40% of the time (1WR/2TE/2RB) which will make it our dominate formation on offense.  This will get extra beef to attack higher levels and break some big runs.   

Passing game:  This week we are looking to attack Hungary's CB's on the outside and deep.  Usually we like the middle of the field and short stuff but its never good to stick to the same gameplan so we will be switching its up this week.  We want to have Diggs and Lamb keep to the outside and upper level with deep shots, back shoulder throws, posts and digs.   This will keep things spread out to allow Watson and Gibson to work the middle layers and middle of the field later in the game.  Tua is always a fan of TE's which is why we have 2 good ones in Higbee and Kmet.  We want our TE's to attack the seams and middle of the field where holes open up from the WR action.  Gibson is turning into a great pass catcher, from the backfield and the slot position.  We want to have Gibson move all over in the formations and get plenty of looks, especially on third downs.  Our goal with Tua is to get him pre snap reads so he will have less to read after the snap.  Lots of motion from the WR's, TE's and RB's will get Tua the information he needs.  

Playaction/RPO/Screens: This game we want to be measured and calculated with our playaction calls.  By this we mean we will be calling playaction to take big shots down the field and get the crowd going.  RPO's and screens will be up to Tua to check into based on his presnap reads.  We want the play checked into an RPO when the LB's and S's are moving into the box and screen's when it looks like big pressure is coming.   The screen check downs will be WR screens mostly with an occasional RB screen.  

First series of the game: we want to establish the run with Barkley

Defense Base Formation: 46 Bear Under Cover 2 Man

27677_cover-2-man.png

Passing Defense: This week Hungary has a little bit of an advantage stemming from a disadvantage with us not knowing who he will play at QB in place of Dak.  Will it be Geno or Wentz, doesn't matter to us as we are gameplanning for their team and not a player.  We fully expect Hungary to feature and rely on more running this week, that said we have some big wrinkles for Hungary this week.  Switch up our defense to a 46 Bear Under Cover 2 Man base formation should throw off whoever is QB for Hungary.  We want to throw a ton of different looks from the 46 formation.  We will use equal % of man and zone, constantly switching things up.  To overemphasize this,, we will also be constantly mixing up who will be rushing and who will be dropping into coverage.  We want to be as unpredictable and disguised as we can get to throw off any pre snap reads Hungary's QBs will get and force big mistakes early and often.  After Travon Walker's stellar week 1 performance, we will be featuring him a ton along with Von Miller and Robert Quinn by moving them all over the place.  They will be lining up all over so Hungary can't gameplan for a specific look.   As for pressure, we will be utilizing exotic and unpredictable blitzes from our base formation.  We want to blitz our linebackers at times while having our DE's drop and vice versa.  To complement the blitzing we will use various stunts from the inside, outside, and linebackers as well as a lot of fake blitz looks prior to the snap.  

Run Defense: we are definitely preparing for a heavier running attack from Hungary this week.  Joe Mixon is a handful and with Dak out we feel Hungary is going to lean on him to pick up the offensive production.  We strive to shut that down from the start and will do this by running a lot of 46 Bear Under base formations.  We want to keep Mixon in check and the way we feel we can do this is by stacking the box and early and often.  Our gameplan of constantly changing looks and personnel alignment will also help with confusing the blocking scheme for Hungary. 

Defensive rotation and formations notes:  we have DT, edge, LB, and DB depth to rotate in and keep everyone well rested.  Jones, Oluokun, Lloyd, Woolen and Patterson will get the most run from the bench guys.  As for formations, even though our base and dominate formation will be the 46 Bear Under, we want to utilize 4-4, 4-3, nickle, and even some 3-4 enough to keep Hungary from adjusting to just one formation.  

3 hours ago, Pickle Rick said:

So whats worse, playing a man that isn't on a roster like I did last week or after all the pages of talk and arguments about it gameplanning for that same player like Hungary did lol.  

I think the quad spacing on the lineups for Hungary is the biggest offense here.

• Like 2

Ive taken a lot of time to think about this and I think the 46 defense is the biggest liability here given the specific attack Hungary put together. Sure Tua had a big day, but Greenland is very shallow on the WR front, even with their subpar TEs i dont see Hungary having an issue limiting them. 

Even with Wentz' short comings, i think he eats this 46 defense alive. 

Hungary by 2 scores.

I'm not gonna over read the 4-6 stuff.  They will likely switch to nickel pretty quickly but as a base I think it's fine against a team that wants to go run heavy.  Unfortunately the Greenland number three corner is miserable.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but Okudah is probably the best option there sadly.  If he can finally progress as a player, that defense is gonna be nasty but I think Theilan/Lockett has his way with wooten early and often as they smnartly target that option.  Unfortunately however it seems like they only want to use the outside WR on deeper routes which plays into the cover two man's hands.  If Hockenson looked right, i might lean that way but he simply hasn't.  Tua going superman this week probably is the tiebreaker for me

Fighting Tua's 24-17

9 hours ago, bcb1213 said:

I'm not gonna over read the 4-6 stuff.  They will likely switch to nickel pretty quickly but as a base I think it's fine against a team that wants to go run heavy.  Unfortunately the Greenland number three corner is miserable.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but Okudah is probably the best option there sadly.  If he can finally progress as a player, that defense is gonna be nasty but I think Theilan/Lockett has his way with wooten early and often as they smnartly target that option.  Unfortunately however it seems like they only want to use the outside WR on deeper routes which plays into the cover two man's hands.  If Hockenson looked right, i might lean that way but he simply hasn't.  Tua going superman this week probably is the tiebreaker for me

Fighting Tua's 24-17

This shouldn’t be assumed as it’s pretty heavy mentioned the 4-6 is the feature formation in their plan... like a lot. It would be common sense but just giving teams benefit of the doubt cus it’s what an nfl team would do is meh to me when they are so heavy preaching on a particular formations. But I still have Greenland winning this one and agree with much of what else you state here.