Jimmy G shoulder surgery nixed trade to Commanders (Schefter)

MikeT14

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34655816/jimmy-garoppolo-shoulder-surgery-disrupted-offseason-trade-washington-commanders-sources-say

The San Francisco 49ers had the parameters of a trade agreement in place that would have sent Jimmy Garoppolo to the Washington Commanders at this year's scouting combine, but the deal fell apart once the quarterback decided to have shoulder surgery, sources told ESPN.

The deal would have involved multiple draft picks, according to sources, but was disrupted by the surgery to Garoppolo's throwing shoulder, which prompted the Commanders to move on from their talks with the Niners and trade two third-round picks and a fourth-round pick to the Indianapolis Colts for Carson Wentz.

I know that Schefter/ESPN didn't say, but I would be curious to know what draft picks were offered. Was it the same price that they spent to get Wentz?

Keep in mind, Garoppolo only renegotiated his contract down to a much more reasonable $6.5M cap hit right before the season. So, had they done this, it would have been for a guy who was only under contract for this year at $24.5M. After that, he would have been a free agent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woz said:

I know that Schefter/ESPN didn't say, but I would be curious to know what draft picks were offered. Was it the same price that they spent to get Wentz?

Keep in mind, Garoppolo only renegotiated his contract down to a much more reasonable $6.5M cap hit right before the season. So, had they done this, it would have been for a guy who was only under contract for this year at $24.5M. After that, he would have been a free agent.

I imagine we could have extended him for something similar to the wentz deal especially as you point out that was willing to renegotiate his contract down.  I think I would have preferred him to Wentz.  At least the character concerns aren't there and they both have injury issues.  I think Garoppolo could really operate this offense well.  We will see if Wentz' big arm comes into play, but so far it hasn't been much of a feature.

23 minutes ago, offbyone said:

I imagine we could have extended him for something similar to the wentz deal especially as you point out that was willing to renegotiate his contract down.  I think I would have preferred him to Wentz.  At least the character concerns aren't there and they both have injury issues.  I think Garoppolo could really operate this offense well.  We will see if Wentz' big arm comes into play, but so far it hasn't been much of a feature.

Eh, Wentz's throws have been beefier than what we're used to seeing around here.

Again, inquiring into and even getting deep into a possible deal for Garoppolo makes a ton of sense: he was thought to be available, likely at a relatively cheap cost, had starting experience, and even went to the playoffs. It would also make a ton of sense for them to back off from the deal once Garoppolo decided to get shoulder surgery. I will repeat myself: I don't recall Carson Wentz's name being on the trade block until Washington came asking about him. And that only occurred after the owner's meeting at the Combine. So I wonder if someone from Washington overheard Jim Irsay upset about Wentz and thought "well, this is an opportunity."

Honestly, if they hadn't asked San Francisco about Jimmy G, that would be a bigger indictment of the team.

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

oh.

*sigh*

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Woz said:

Again, inquiring into and even getting deep into a possible deal for Garoppolo makes a ton of sense: he was thought to be available, likely at a relatively cheap cost, had starting experience, and even went to the playoffs. It would also make a ton of sense for them to back off from the deal once Garoppolo decided to get shoulder surgery. I will repeat myself: I don't recall Carson Wentz's name being on the trade block until Washington came asking about him. And that only occurred after the owner's meeting at the Combine. So I wonder if someone from Washington overheard Jim Irsay upset about Wentz and thought "well, this is an opportunity."

Honestly, if they hadn't asked San Francisco about Jimmy G, that would be a bigger indictment of the team.

oh.

*sigh*

All of this points to Wentz probably being their 4th or 5th option, which does not inspire confidence.  

Look, the offense came roaring back last Sunday.  They did not do that today.  They looked very flat.  Coincidence?  I’ll let others debate that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Woz said:

oh.

*sigh*

Yeah, I mean there were reports that we called every team in the league to inquire about their QB. We even called KC to inquire about Mahomes. So Ron is gonna tell us with a straight face that they didn't contact the 49ers about Garoppolo? So we contacted 30 teams and didn't pick up a phone to call the 49ers? Come on!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Woz said:

oh.

*sigh*

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Yeah, I mean there were reports that we called every team in the league to inquire about their QB. We even called KC to inquire about Mahomes. So Ron is gonna tell us with a straight face that they didn't contact the 49ers about Garoppolo? So we contacted 30 teams and didn't pick up a phone to call the 49ers? Come on!

Could be twofold. We could have inquired, but the report of a "deal in principle" being done is BS.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/26/2022 at 4:20 AM, turtle28 said:

Sad Anthony Anderson GIF

Could’ve had a 10 to 12 win season if we had traded for Jimmy G instead of Wentz. 😢 

The other side of that coin.. Holy stuffing- we couldn't sold the farm for Wilson. Ever so thankful ! I thought it was obvious he wasn't the player he was just a coupla years earlier. You GIF above. You'd really be crying if we did that deal. 

• Like 1