Week 4 GDT: Denver Broncos (2-1) @ Las Vegas Raiders (0-3)

paul-mac

FWIW, seems like good news on Gregory.  Seeing the play, wondered if he just jammed it, or it was even just a contusion from impact.    Hopefully there's no significant bone bruise (the swelling tonight really will declare itself tomorrow) and no other structural damage.   Still expect a MRI needed and it still still makes IND Week 5 iffy, though, given it's TNF.

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, MontanaBronco said:

If I'm George Penner I am calling up Paton and saying "look here, hire AAA. He will then fire everyone week by week until he runs out of scapegoats". 

Damn straight. And I’ll take my 7-figures and laugh all the way to the bank. 

Look at Tom Brady - he’s older than me - and look at Aaron Rodgers - he’s the same age as me - and, literally today, they’re out playing a 32 year old Russ. I mean he looks either old, scared, confused or a combination thereof.

Either he is washed, Hackett sucks or both. 

If you’re, or anyone, is watching the Chiefs tonight, that’s how an offense is coordinated. 

Edited by AnAngryAmerican

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Slow down there. He's on staff, under contract, seen it all. Yeah, loosing record as a HC but that's what happens when you're the first HC of two expansion teams.

Perfect for an interim solution, rest of season solution.

My biggest concern is filling the coaching gaps we've got left from Hackett hiring his buddies. Replacing Kuper and Munchak with two guys with a combined total of 4 seasons as NFL OL assistants. It's a long list. 

Find out what we've got in Kubiak and Evero and learn what we can about this staff. We've got upgrades necessary starting with Hackett.

Holy ****… Are you new to sports? Nepotism exists at every level of every sport, Kubiak was guilty of it, Shanahan was guilty of it. Hackett is hardly the first and certainly not the last guilty of hiring his friends. What sets coaches apart are whether they can admit they were wrong and move on from those coaches. 

Anyone that thinks Hackett is getting fired mid season without some scandal or 4-13 record is a fool. And for the record I would rather hire McDaniels back before promoting Capers, Jim Fassel is still alive I’m sure let’s hire him!

52 minutes ago, champ11 said:

Tim Patrick loss is looming pretty large. Jeudy is EH and we are really missing Patrick getting open.

Pretty frustrating game. Offense is so vanilla - Hackett is a huge disappointment in that regard. 

2-2 sky is not falling. But the on-field product has been so mid and that is tough to ignore. Even with Javonte the running game has not clicked...and losing him is massive. Weapons are looking thin, protection looking iffy, and Russ has been OK. Offense is going to continue to be pretty inconsistent, I fear. 

I think Meinerz being out has really made a difference in the run game cause Glasgow sure ain’t it.

4 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I really liked the Hackett hire but it’s clear he’s NOT HC material. I’ll admit when I was wrong. And I was on board big time.

Someone on the Fan Football Postgame on 104.3 basically said that it is time to do another rebuild and start over. This organization could not afford another bad HC hire, but it looks like that has happened.

Edited by 7DnBrnc53

I think there will be changes next year without a doubt. Hackett has to find something to hang his hat on that he can sell to ownership to keep his job but no matter what they will be taking some responsibilities away from him. You can bet on that. 

It’s tough because there are salvageable pieces to this staff. I know today wasn’t great but I still like what I’ve seen from the defense and Evero as a coach and defensive play caller. If he has HC qualities the Broncos will have a chance to see that. 

IMO they need 1) a competent adult probably with some experience at HC and 2) a new offensive play caller. Hackett is failing in both roles, and they’re both of critical importance. 

1 hour ago, broncosfan07 said:

Holy ****… Are you new to sports? Nepotism exists at every level of every sport, Kubiak was guilty of it, Shanahan was guilty of it. Hackett is hardly the first and certainly not the last guilty of hiring his friends. What sets coaches apart are whether they can admit they were wrong and move on from those coaches. 

Anyone that thinks Hackett is getting fired mid season without some scandal or 4-13 record is a fool. And for the record I would rather hire McDaniels back before promoting Capers, Jim Fassel is still alive I’m sure let’s hire him!

So, you disagree with me, ask me if I'm new to sports, then call me a fool. I take it that anyone that doesn't share your opinion is also a fool?

I would think as adults, we could probably discuss differing opinions with a bit more class but hey, that's just me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I think there will be changes next year without a doubt. Hackett has to find something to hang his hat on that he can sell to ownership to keep his job but no matter what they will be taking some responsibilities away from him. You can bet on that. 

It’s tough because there are salvageable pieces to this staff. I know today wasn’t great but I still like what I’ve seen from the defense and Evero as a coach and defensive play caller. If he has HC qualities the Broncos will have a chance to see that. 

IMO they need 1) a competent adult probably with some experience at HC and 2) a new offensive play caller. Hackett is failing in both roles, and they’re both of critical importance. 

One thing they've done that could really work is their hiring of experienced consultants. On defense their contributions have been apparent since day 1. Their recent hiring of Rosburg for ST's has given us the best two back to back ST games in years. The only place we've not done that is on Offense and it shows. Maybe Gary's available for an easy gig like that. 2-3 days a week. Help with the game plans for the next opponent, point out the opponents trends, weaknesses, strengths etc.

I think though I'd have them as staff hires, not coaching hires. 

5 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

The difference is that both Kubiak and Shanahan hired people who were capable of doing the job.

5 hours ago, broncosfan07 said:

I can see it happening because the Waltons didn't hire him and if they think he is not the guy they could well pull the trigger. A disaster against the Colts could do it.

If Capers was promoted he would be a CEO type of HC - Kubiak should be calling the plays on offence at this stage. If Hackett was fired I am sure someone would be making a call to Sean Payton.

But if the job was still open at the end of the season I could see Paton going back to the guy he should have hired instead of Hackett - Dan Quinn.

45 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

I can see it happening because the Waltons didn't hire him and if they think he is not the guy they could well pull the trigger. A disaster against the Colts could do it.

If Capers was promoted he would be a CEO type of HC - Kubiak should be calling the plays on offence at this stage. If Hackett was fired I am sure someone would be making a call to Sean Payton.

But if the job was still open at the end of the season I could see Paton going back to the guy he should have hired instead of Hackett - Dan Quinn.

I would like to see the list of teams in the NFL that have their QB coach calling the plays. I would suggest there are none. 

I think some people on here are trying to manufacture a controversy here because Hackett was ill prepared in weeks 1 and 2, then we didn’t play well last week and lost yesterday. After his excellent performance in weeks 1-3 I actually hold Evero partly responsible for yesterday. He let Josh Jacobs gash us all over the ground and despite Surtain being excellent as usual, you need safety help against the best WR in football.

Yesterday‘s defeat is more on Melvin Gordon, Ejiro Evero, the entire OL and the dodgy knees of both Javonte Williams and Randy Gregory than it is on Hackett. Russell Wilson was excellent btw. 

14 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

I would like to see the list of teams in the NFL that have their QB coach calling the plays. I would suggest there are none. 

I think some people on here are trying to manufacture a controversy here because Hackett was ill prepared in weeks 1 and 2, then we didn’t play well last week and lost yesterday. After his excellent performance in weeks 1-3 I actually hold Evero partly responsible for yesterday. He let Josh Jacobs gash us all over the ground and despite Surtain being excellent as usual, you need safety help against the best WR in football.

Yesterday‘s defeat is more on Melvin Gordon, Ejiro Evero, the entire OL and the dodgy knees of both Javonte Williams and Randy Gregory than it is on Hackett. Russell Wilson was excellent btw. 

Kubiak was an OC who actually called plays (not like Hackett in GB) and did a decent job with the Vikings. He would certainly be better than Hackett (our Outten - whatever he actually does).

For me the biggest thing yestrday was Hackett's inability to adjust in the second half - once again it showed that he is not cut out for the job of HC. Everyone on this forum knew our weaklink on defence was stopping the run - McD was the first one to exploit it (assisted with poor playcalling in the second half). Evero did not do well yesterday - but he has shown some abaility as a DC.

Gordon's fumble was a key moment - but the offence did respond after it happened. The big problem yesterday continued to be the ineptitude of the offensive play-calling and the inability of Hackett to act like a HC.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Kubiak was an OC who actually called plays (not like Hackett in GB) and did a decent job with the Vikings. He would certainly be better than Hackett (our Outten - whatever he actually does).

For me the biggest thing yestrday was Hackett's inability to adjust in the second half - once again it showed that he is not cut out for the job of HC. Everyone on this forum knew our weaklink on defence was stopping the run - McD was the first one to exploit it (assisted with poor playcalling in the second half). Evero did not do well yesterday - but he has shown some abaility as a DC.

Gordon's fumble was a key moment - but the offence did respond after it happened. The big problem yesterday continued to be the ineptitude of the offensive play-calling and the inability of Hackett to act like a HC.

The bolded part just isn’t true.

The defense gave up 25 points and 385 yards yesterday despite good special teams play and only one offensive turnover (which was returned for a TD, so didn’t result in a short field) so the defense was generally starting with good field position. Even despite giving the Raiders long fields, they still managed to put up 25 points because our D couldn’t stop the run. 

The offense scored as many touchdowns yesterday as it has the rest of the season put together. You CANNOT pin the failure of yesterday’s game on anything to do with the offense. The red zone issues of week 1 and 2 have been eradicated and Russell Wilson had by FAR his best game as a Bronco. We probably score another TD if it wasn’t for the MG3 fumble so that was a 14 point swing that decides the game.

On the Hackett stuff, there’s been no delay of game penalties (penalties in general have dried up big time) in the past two weeks, no indecision on 4th down, the punt/FG/go for it decisions have been correct, there’s been no amateurish nonsense like failing to have a punt returner on the field. The rookie mistakes of week 1 and 2 have been eradicated and I put them entirely down to the lack of starters in preseason. 

Yesterday’s defeat is 50% on the defense and 50% on Melvin Gordon. Trying to pin it on the offense or on Hackett is a gross misrepresentation of what actually happened.