Trevor Lawrence has arrived

notthatbluestuff

Grading Luck as "generational" depends on how you grade that subjective term. If you take QBs in his age range only, he was top probably top 3. In that kind of grading system, all 3 of Brady, Manning, and Brees can be considered "generational" as well. But there's a clear dropoff from that generation to the next one and it kind of lets the next crop of QBs off the hook IMO.

However, when the term "generational" is thrown around, you don't expect that kind of talent to blend in with a lesser QB class. By that I mean you expect that QB to stand out, compete for MVPs, make All-Pro teams, etc. Can anyone say Luck was a real standout among Russell Wilson, Matthew Stafford, and Cam Newton?

Patrick Mahomes is living up to that term. Josh Allen is far closer than Luck ever was when playing.

Luck was more impressive than Lawrence so far for sure. He was closer to living up to the term as of now, but that doesn't mean he actually did. That's not his fault because he was a very good QB that most teams would be more than happy with and the Colts certainly got what they wanted from their #1 pick, but that doesn't mean he was a generational player.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

But we illustrated that he didn't reach where Manning reached - ever, not just by year 3. The Colts were perineal Super Bowl contenders under Manning, not just a playoff team.

Are you talking about Luck... or Russell Wilson, who actually checks these marks you're creating? Because Wilson would be closer to immediate top 5 over Luck. 

One thing I have to clarify - at no point in his career was Andrew Luck a top 5 QB. Ever. He had a pretty big list of QBs ahead of him, he was closer to the bottom half of top 10 in that discussion - only people who romanticize his career would find a reason to put him in the top 5. Off the top of my head: Rodgers, Brady, Manning, Brees, Roethlensberger, Rivers, Wilson,  were objectively better and guys like Romo, Ryan, Stafford and Palmer were debatably as good as Luck in that timeframe.

Thinking otherwise is overly relying on a few 4th quarter comebacks in big moments. Luck was good, but nowhere as good as you make him out to be.

Russell Wilson had a top 5 defense for 5 years straight to start his career to pair with a top rushing offense. Luck had none of those comforts as a young QB.

And you don't think it's a testament to his caliber that you are naming HoF QBs as the guys ahead of him? Wouldn't you think that's good company for a dude who was rivaling them 3 years into his playing career?

I'm not romanticizing his career because he left early. I just don't agree that he didn't meet his hype just because he didn't instantly come in and win an SB (just how I don't agree that TL isn't living up to expectations). Everyone is setting the bar too high, expecting non-stop championship appearances from their young QB. I don't know what you call reaching the playoffs 4/5 of your full seasons including your rookie season without much of a defense or a run game, but I think that's astounding.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I feel like 10 pages in we're getting close to figuring out that Andrew Luck is the Dalton line for generational prospects.

The non QB generational prospects that I can remember going back to circa 2005 would be:

Megatron

Adrian Peterson

Jadeveon Clowney

Reggie Bush

Jalen Ramsey

Leonard Fournette

Myles Garrett

Saquon Barkley

Quentin Nelson

Chance Warmack

Aaron Curry

Chase Young

The QB list is much shorter in my lifetime:

Peyton Manning

Andrew Luck

Trevor Lawrence

Michael Vick

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

The non QB generational prospects that I can remember going back to circa 2005 would be:

Megatron

Adrian Peterson

Jadeveon Clowney

Reggie Bush

Jalen Ramsey

Leonard Fournette

Myles Garrett

Saquon Barkley

Quentin Nelson

Chance Warmack

Aaron Curry

Chase Young

The QB list is much shorter in my lifetime:

Peyton Manning

Andrew Luck

Trevor Lawrence

Michael Vick

Ha, a lot of Lions fans wanted Aaron Curry over Stafford.

Just by memory, wasn't Sam Bradford considered a generational prospect? There was a lot of chatter that he'd be taken #1OA in 2009 if he had declared. If not, then he's about as close as you can be without being one. 

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Megatron

Adrian Peterson

Jadeveon Clowney

Reggie Bush

Jalen Ramsey

Leonard Fournette

Myles Garrett

Saquon Barkley

Quentin Nelson

Chance Warmack

Aaron CurryDerrick Johnson (I think this one is a personal preference)

Chase Young

Vernon Davis

David DeCastro

Mario Williams

Ndamukong Suh (I die on this hill - his game against Texas in the B12CCG is the single best college defensive performance ever)

Von Miller

Patrick Peterson

Sean Taylor

Earl Thomas

Really good list. I threw some additions in bold and deletions in strikethrough.

Definitely missing a few bust prospects at off positions still.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Just by memory, wasn't Sam Bradford considered a generational prospect? There was a lot of chatter that he'd be taken #1OA in 2009 if he had declared. If not, then he's about as close as you can be without being one. 

Just shy - he was considered a worthy #1 overall QB, maybe the best in 2 years, but never was considered generational.

12 minutes ago, BofaDeez54927 said:

Ha, a lot of Lions fans wanted Aaron Curry over Stafford.

Bradford is a good name, but I don't think anyone considered him "generational" as opposed to "safe". He had elite accuracy and was very young. He didn't have an elite arm or athleticism, as opposed to guys like Elway, Lawrence, and Luck who had "all the tools".

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Aaron CurryDerrick Johnson (I think this one is a personal preference)

Vernon Davis

David DeCastro

Mario Williams

Ndamukong Suh (I die on this hill - his game against Texas in the B12CCG is the single best college defensive performance ever)

Von Miller

Patrick Peterson

Sean Taylor

Earl Thomas

I didn't include DJ because he was a bit before 2005 if I recall, but I freaking loved him.

Williams I didn't just because he was taken over Bush and their GM got a TON of flack for that.

Suh is a GREAT call.

Von Miller, Sean Taylor, and Peterson are great calls.

• Like 1