Week 4 GDT: San Francisco 49ers vs Los Angeles Rams

J-ALL-DAY

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

We have 1 elite & 1 very good player at every level of this defense

DL - Bosa elite, Armstead very good

LB - Warner elite, Greenlaw very good (so far, good choice to sign him instead of Al-Shair to the contract extension)

DB - Mooney Ward elite, Jimmie Ward/Hufanga very good 

This defense is just ridiculously good at all levels. I would also put Moseley in the very good category. I'm not sure if Mooney Ward is elite, but he damn is looking like a top flight CB thus far. And his completion percentage against has always been high.

Greenlaw just comes in firing like a missile. Very good fit next to Warner who is able to clean up his mess at times and is able to carry WRs/TEs down the field allowing Greenlaw to do what he does close to the LOS.

Ebukam is not going to get much recognition, but that man is playing some damn good ball. Got good pressure in weeks 2 and 3  but did not come away with any sacks but he made up for that yesterday. I said he was going to be in the 8-10 range this season and so far he seems to be well on his way to reaching that. 

Hufanga is a flat out playmaker and something we desperately were missing. We had a hell of a defense before he got inserted in the starting line up but we couldn't force TOs the way a great defense needed to...Well, this man has single handedly forced three TOs in four weeks by himself. It's cliche to say, but some players just have a nose for the ball and Hufanga is that guy. His instincts are next level. I can't wait until Jimmie returns and we get to be even more creative allowing Hufanga to roam around to make more plays. 

I want to give a shoutout to Givens who I thought played amazing last night. Both against the run and the pass. We will need him to continue to play well, especially with Armstead having to deal with his foot injury all season and now Kinlaw having his knee issues. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

This defense is just ridiculously good at all levels. I would also put Moseley in the very good category. I'm not sure if Mooney Ward is elite, but he damn is looking like a top flight CB thus far. And his completion percentage against has always been high.

Greenlaw just comes in firing like a missile. Very good fit next to Warner who is able to clean up his mess at times and is able to carry WRs/TEs down the field allowing Greenlaw to do what he does close to the LOS.

Ebukam is not going to get much recognition, but that man is playing some damn good ball. Got good pressure in weeks 2 and 3  but did not come away with any sacks but he made up for that yesterday. I said he was going to be in the 8-10 range this season and so far he seems to be well on his way to reaching that. 

Hufanga is a flat out playmaker and something we desperately were missing. We had a hell of a defense before he got inserted in the starting line up but we couldn't force TOs the way a great defense needed to...Well, this man has single handedly forced three TOs in four weeks by himself. It's cliche to say, but some players just have a nose for the ball and Hufanga is that guy. His instincts are next level. I can't wait until Jimmie returns and we get to be even more creative allowing Hufanga to roam around to make more plays. 

I want to give a shoutout to Givens who I thought played amazing last night. Both against the run and the pass. We will need him to continue to play well, especially with Armstead having to deal with his foot injury all season and now Kinlaw having his knee issues. 

I just want to add that Hassan Ridgeway has been weirdly good. He got put on skates a bit in week 1, but he's really eaten double teams and gotten some pressure since. 

5 minutes ago, JIllg said:

I just want to add that Hassan Ridgeway has been weirdly good. He got put on skates a bit in week 1, but he's really eaten double teams and gotten some pressure since. 

Definitely, he's been MUCH better in the run game than I thought he would be. Also was bringing the heat rushing the passer last night! Ridgeway and Givens held it down and will need to continue doing so. 

11 hours ago, JIllg said:

It’s been an underrated aspect of our offensive decline. Who’s the guy you go to in order to kill man coverage? 2019, Kittle was obviously that guy. Now, it’s not anyone. Aiyuk is the guy that we call on, but he’s still more of a #2. 

Part of the problem is Jimmy often overlooks Aiyuk. This is one of the reasons I was excited to see Lance take the reins. Sigh. Aiyuk just has so much promise but Jimmy refuses to maximize it. 

12 hours ago, straighthate said:

Yeah I don’t think Aiyuk was open at all. Ramsey picks that if he tries to throw it. Kittle was right call. 

Nah, Aiyuk was most certainly open. He ran a great route after making it seem like he was going to block. Aiyuk was as open as a WR can be on that type of play/route. The coaches film will show that clear. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, straighthate said:

Yeah I don’t think Aiyuk was open at all. Ramsey picks that if he tries to throw it. Kittle was right call. 

Aiyuk is definitely open on this play. Ramsey is not picking that ball up if Jimmy throws it to the pylon on time. He didn't even look his way so it was never going to happen but these are the plays we keep leaving on the field. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

With Jimmy's arm i wouldn't call it open and i think the Kittle play is the right choice. If that is a guy like Allen or Mahomes that's open. Jimmy just doesn't have the zip to throw that on a line away from Ramsey.

I mean if you throw it on time and to the outside, there is no CB in the history that is going to get to it, especially with the separation Aiyuk created. Like in the RZ, that is as open as you will get. The problem is that Jimmy did not even look that way so it is a moot point. It was NEVER going to go to Aiyuk. Predetermined passes is killing this offense's ability to put up points on the board. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Special, this man is flat out SPECIAL. 

Early DPOY leader, hope he continues this pace and the defense continues their elite play. If so, he should finish at least in the top 2-3. Parsons is going to make it hard for him but it should be a fun race to the end. 

He really does put up pressure on his own that most DL's do collectively LOL. Every single play he is so close to the QB. As great as he has been to start the season, he's going to explode for a 3-4 sack game very soon. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Does it feel like Kittle isn't the same? Only two games but outside of his run blocking he's been nonexistent. 

Is he not the same or is he not getting targets? The one real target he got, he made a great catch. Obviously his injury concern is real but Kittle still ranked in the top 3 in yards per route ran last season at the TE position. 

You got Aiyuk barely getting 30-35 yards a game. This pass offense is just subpar and the stats don't reflect the actual talent. It is what it is, but only one player will get to eat and that player seems to be Deebo. And the only reason it will be him is because he can turn a five yard slant into a 60 yard TD lol. Ohhhhh how I wish we had a QB like Brady running this offense. Then we would have seen the stats of all these skill players sky rocket. 

• Like 3

And the reason I hate using stats to determine if these receivers are not doing their job or slipping, you have to watch the coaches film to see how much separation they create and if they get open but just not targeted. It took me going to the Colts game and focusing on Aiyuk to see just how often he wins but Jimmy never looks his way...And then towards the 2nd half of the season, he started getting more targets and was essentially our WR1. 

Scoring  17 points yesterday after averaging over 7 YPP is sickening lol. That doesn't even make any sense. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

And the reason I hate using stats to determine if these receivers are not doing their job or slipping, you have to watch the coaches film to see how much separation they create and if they get open but just not targeted. It took me going to the Colts game and focusing on Aiyuk to see just how often he wins but Jimmy never looks his way...And then towards the 2nd half of the season, he started getting more targets and was essentially our WR1. 

Scoring  17 points yesterday after averaging over 7 YPP is sickening lol. That doesn't even make any sense. 

Yep. I have no idea what the issue is between these two but Jimmy straight up does not look for him. 

I mean, come on. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, N4L said:

Yep. I have no idea what the issue is between these two but Jimmy straight up does not look for him. 

I mean, come on. 

It is what it is at this point. If you are to evaluate the receivers on this team by their stats, then they aren't going to look nearly as good as their talent indicates. I've long accepted this. I don't even try to argue this point anymore since it is not worth it. You can cut up clips like this on a weekly basis. 

If you did the same for Kittle, I'm sure he will be just as open, just as often as Aiyuk. Whatever, just have to hope eventually we start hitting on the big plays so this offense can get to championship caliber. Because relying on the defense to be lockdown every single game against the top offenses in the playoffs is going to lead to another heartbreak in January or possibly February. 

• Like 1