GB defensive issues

squire12

I think we need to talk more about this and I agree 100%. Never understood the decision to move Sul inside, especially after the year he had playing outside last season. Alexander should have been put in the Star role from Day 1 and moved around this defense. It's malpractice to leave Alexander outside (where a team like the Vikings just ignored him and moved JJ away from him on every play), and leave Sul inside where he is half the player he is outside. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

The defense was fine for that offense.

That offense **** the bed.

With an offense like the 2011 offense, you want turnovers. We got them.

With this offense you want quick stops and good field position. We’re not getting those.

The 2011 defense suited the 2011 OPPONENTS offense. That’s not true for this team.

I fixed it for you. The 2011 defense was historically bad and it showed itself in the playoffs. This is a really bad take IMO. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Not a lack of talent as a whole, but there are some problems that people with Packers goggles (even myself at times) overlook. 

1. Darnell Savage is a very average player who often plays below average football. He's basically HHCD without the interceptions and it's time we recognize that. 
  2. Campbell is playing like the Campbell who nobody wanted before he came to GB. Is that his true self or will he return to form after the huge contract we gave him? 
  3. Walker is a rookie so he gets a pass somewhat but he's basically a mess out there. You watch two of the best defenses in football right now (TB and SF) and their defense flows through the outstanding play of their ILBs. Warner and Greenlaw might be the best pair in the league right now. As of October, Campbell and Walker aren't getting it done and it's hurting us, especially in the middle of the field. 
  4. Eric Stokes is having a sophomore slump. When teams need a big play, they target him. He's not a bad player by any means, but he hasn't taken the next step forward as an NFL corner. 

The biggest problem with our defense, and it's probably a blend of scheme plus individual play, is the lack of turnovers. The NFL is a game of momentum. Even defenses that are consistently forcing punts and keeping yard/point totals at reasonable levels aren't "great" defenses because great defenses take the ball away. Great defenses don't simply force punts so the offense has to go 80 yards every single drive for a score. They take the ball away in the opponent's territory once or twice a game so the offense can steal some easier points. So far this season we have 1 int and it basically came during garbage time on a diving heroic play by Alexander. In 5 games, we have not had a single player be in a position to jump a route or have a ball thrown to them due to pressure, etc. That's almost impossible to fathom just based on the law of averages. Statistically, just by dumb luck, we should have had one of those by now. Thankfully, we forced a few fumbles against TB and NE, otherwise, we'd be 1-4 right now. 

You make some valid points but miss the overall point IMO. Did you see how Dallas plays defense, downhill? They don't sit back and hope something happens. They are attacking, making something happen.

Oh, by the way, the Giants didn't sit back on 3rd and 4th down at the end of the game. They brought the heat to the Packers, Rodgers and we wilted. Shame on Rodgers for not running the ball on 3rd down. The bigger issue is how passive we played on defense. We gave up 5-7 yards at a time with no resistance. We are so much better than that team and our DC **** the bed. Actually, it's who he is as a coordinator. The problem is easily identifiable, now it's up to the HC to make him fix it or find someone who will. 

I'll sum it up in my view of things. Winners play to make things happen. Losers sit back and hope they don't screw up which inevitably leads to screwing up. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

You make some valid points but miss the overall point IMO. Did you see how Dallas plays defense, downhill? They don't sit back and hope something happens. They are attacking, making something happen.

Oh, by the way, the Giants didn't sit back on 3rd and 4th down at the end of the game. They brought the heat to the Packers, Rodgers and we wilted. Shame on Rodgers for not running the ball on 3rd down. The bigger issue is that was how passive we played on defense. We gave up 5-7 yards at a time with no resistance. We are so much better than that team and our DC **** the bed. Actually, it's who he is as a coordinator. The problem is easily identifiable, now it's to the HC to make him fix it or find someone who will. 

I'll sum it up in my view of things. Winners play to make things happen. Losers sit back and hope they don't screw up which inevitably leads to screwing up. 

Sure, scheme covers up a lot of deficiencies and I've agreed from day 1 that our scheme sucks with Barry at the helm. I was just addressing the question about talent issues. There are a few but even those would be alleviated if the defense had a plan week to week. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GHARMON9 said:

While not perfect you can do MUCH WORSE...

Before this game was 4th in yards behind  SF, BUF and PHI.

Tied for 7th in sacks.

Even after this game were looking to be 8-12 in PPG. 

This loss sucks and I didnt see this coming but were okay. 

We're 23rd in Defensive DVOA. That's with how many first rounders on our defense?

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Oh, by the way, the Giants didn't sit back on 3rd and 4th down at the end of the game. They brought the heat to the Packers, Rodgers and we wilted. Shame on Rodgers for not running the ball on 3rd down. The bigger issue is that was how passive we played on defense. We gave up 5-7 yards at a time with no resistance. We are so much better than that team and our DC **** the bed. Actually, it's who he is as a coordinator. The problem is easily identifiable, now it's to the HC to make him fix it or find someone who will. 

You can sit in two shell and give cushions so long as you A) have elite team speed and B) are an elite tackling team.  We are/have neither at this point.  What’s funny is our players ARE fast, but their game speed has been much slower than advertised.  

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I think we need to talk more about this and I agree 100%. Never understood the decision to move Sul inside, especially after the year he had playing outside last season. Alexander should have been put in the Star role from Day 1 and moved around this defense. It's malpractice to leave Alexander outside (where a team like the Vikings just ignored him and moved JJ away from him on every play), and leave Sul inside where he is half the player he is outside. 

I disagree. I want JA following the other teams best . Slot or outside. 

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

I'm onboard with this, too

Get Jaire closer to the action, he's a gamer. Giving him play-making opportunities will infuse both him, and the rest of the defense, with some energy

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I disagree. I want JA following the other teams best . Slot or outside. 

I could be wrong on this but I feel like this doesn't work as often as people think it does.. Not only does  the offense use motion to make it virtually impossible, it messes up run fits and if the transfer of responsibilities gets blurred, its usually a huge play as a consequence. 

Not sure WTF the plan is here. Stokes is already playing outside leverage and with off coverage, he cannot slow or reroute the WR. So the concept on offense is simple for the WR -- at the snap just run across the field (having a positional head start on the CB) and get the ball thrown to you on time. At the very snap of the ball, Stokes is already helpless to do anything but hold or interfere with the WR. 

This is the most maddening aspect of our defense IMO. We get pressure on QBs. At the same time, our secondary (due to our scheme) bails out the opposing QB time and time again with easy check downs and throws even when the pressure is getting there. We continue to do this despite having 3 CBs whose No. 1 attribute is playing press and otherwise being  physical with WRs at the LOS. It's almost like Barry is intentionally trolling out there. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 3