Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

8 minutes ago, squire12 said:

GB has a defensive run game coordinator and pass game coordinator and neither of them are supposedly being in on potential play calls during weekly prep meetings or during games.

So why didn't LaFleur (who's in the room with those guys a few more times a week than Squire is) give one of them the opportunity and fire Barry? Let's critically think on this.....

58 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's an enormous assumption (and almost certainly an incorrect one) that there doesn't exist another "defensive playcaller" on the coaching staff. 

Agreed .. these coaches are veteran coaches and surely can figure out what goes into putting together a game plan, making calls, etc.  It might not be pretty, but it can be done.  Barry needed to go, but LaFleur just doesn't want to fire his buddy at Christmas time.  

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's not keeping Joe Barry. Don't know how many times it has to be said. He'll be fired in 3 weeks.

Most of the board just got done praising the staff 3 weeks ago for the stretch vs LA/Det/KC, now having that same staff 2 weeks later is a complete failure? 

I recall being one of the few still adamant about firing Barry 3 weeks ago. Always knew it would be after the season. 

But he is keeping Barry for at least this week. You are completely missing the point that not removing Barry NOW is doing more damage than cutting ties with the guy. How does it help this young team by sticking with this failure of a DC for the rest of the season? I'm petty sure anyone left can manage the last three weeks with at least the same level of results as Barry (low bar), but might also prevent the cancer culture from spreading. Surely a HC should recognize that and act on it. 

Just because you "knew" Barry wouldn't be fired until the season was over doesn't make it the right call on the position/issue. Keeping Barry on at this point is absolutely 💯 the wrong call here. 

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

So why didn't LaFleur (who's in the room with those guys a few more times a week than Squire is) give one of them the opportunity and fire Barry? Let's critically think on this.....

Because he didn't wanna fire his buddy at Christmas. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

At this point that is the million dollar question. I strongly suspect that their personal relationship has much to do with it since the on the field results show a different course of action than the one being taken. Being released in the off season looks better on a resume than getting canned in-season and I'm sure MLF knows this. 

The bigger question is why is loyalty to a failure of a DC more important than locker room culture? Having a bad rep for being loyal to coaches over players (instead of equal) isn't going to help come FA hunting...

Edited by BluePacker

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Because he didn't wanna fire his buddy at Christmas. 

You're better than that. 

The answer is obviously, he didn't have trust in anyone taking over that responsibility. 

At this point, he's clearly the HC going forward so he gets the right to make the decision he thinks creates the best outcome for the next 3 games. 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You're better than that. 

The answer is obviously, he didn't have trust in anyone taking over that responsibility. 

At this point, he's clearly the HC going forward so he gets the right to make the decision he thinks creates the best outcome for the next 3 games. 

And we get to criticize the living hell out of him for that decision. 

Matt's proven he's incapable of making difficult decisions. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here. 

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 2

Gary hasn't gotten a full sack since Thanksgiving.  AFter his surgery and everything, do you think he's kinda hitting the wall at this point in the season?  Is his recent trouble getting to the QB, would you say that's mostly Barry's fault, or Gary's?  

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It would, but that's not Matt LaFleur, so we're fine there. 

Seems to be trending that direction.

I'm curious to know what you think happens to player morale if the defense fails spectacularly again even once more this season with Barry at the helm? For someone being ok with Barry being gone in the off-season a three game hill seems like a weird one to die on here given the negative rumblings coming from players. 

Is your issue you are against mid-season firings? Are you also against people cheering/yelling during games? Gold package?

Edited by BluePacker

4 minutes ago, craig said:

Gary hasn't gotten a full sack since Thanksgiving.  AFter his surgery and everything, do you think he's kinda hitting the wall at this point in the season?  Is his recent trouble getting to the QB, would you say that's mostly Barry's fault, or Gary's?  

I think its both.  Its hard to get sacks when the QB has an 8 yrd gimme route every snap.  You don't need to hold the ball long against this defense.

However Gary also seems to just run by the QB half the time, getting a slight hand on him to get that pressure stat but not getting him to the ground.   

Least from what I see on my couch

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

Seems to be trending that direction.

I'm curious to know what you think happens to player morale if the defense fails spectacularly again even once more this season with Barry at the helm? For someone being ok with Barry being gone in the off-season a three game hill seems like a weird one to die on here given the negative rumblings coming from players. 

Is your issue you are against mid-season firings? Are you also against people cheering/yelling during games? Gold package?

I wouldn't have had an issue if LaFleur fired him at all, or keeping him for 3 games. I've seen enough this year to think Matt LaFleur is a great coach and I trust he's doing what's best for the Packers. That simple, if there was a better option, he would've pulled the trigger on it. 

8 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

And we get to criticize the living hell out of him for that decision. 

Matt's proven he's incapable of making difficult decisions. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt here. 

As a trio (Gute/MM/ML) they picked Love over Rodgers, that was the only difficult decision they've been tasked with really. Riding out 3 games on the year with a new DC or Barry isn't any sort of monumental decision, it's fairly irrelevant.