Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Reemphasizing a point made in another thread about whether we are "soft" or whatever people want to call it. The fact that we suck at stopping the run "is" a Joe Barry problem; however, it is "not solely" a Joe Barry problem. There is a much deeper, philosophical issue here that runs as deep as looking at the types of players we add to the defense and the identity of the team as a whole (which implicates our GM and coach as well). This is one reason why it's not a given that our defense suddenly takes off regardless of whether it's Joe Barry or Bill Belichick running it as the DC. 

Mike Pettine was also a predominantly nickel defense player. He also had some really odd run fits and did some bizarre stuff with the edge players. It's philosophically been an issue for the Packers since 2009 where we were the #1 run defense in the league. Since then, we've been top 10 in rushing yardage allowed once, 8th in 2012, and we were 31st in passing yardage that year so that might be why. 

Our FO invests in DB's and pass rushers. It's probably the right way to do it in today's league, but we somehow have to find a way to get league average against the run if we want to have any chance for success this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bumski said:

Consider me one of the dumb ones. Clark hasn't been great for like three years now

Do you believe he’s the 32nd best starting interior DL?

Can you honestly look at rosters across the NFL and come to the conclusion we’ve had the worst interior DL and everyone else involved in stopping the run?

Or do you maybe think our scheme is dumb?

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

I don't know how the **** anybody watches these games and thinks Kenny isn't playing fantastic ball. 

Who is playing great ball if Kenny's performances are considered sub optimal?

Where the hell did I say he has been sub optimal? Big difference between great and bad. Jfc

23 minutes ago, Bumski said:

Where the hell did I say he has been sub optimal? Big difference between great and bad. Jfc

Replace sub optimal with average. Where does it end? "He's not great, He's damn good" what are the ******* tiers. Speak plain. 

He has been playing lights out. Period.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Do you believe he’s the 32nd best starting interior DL?

Can you honestly look at rosters across the NFL and come to the conclusion we’ve had the worst interior DL and everyone else involved in stopping the run?

Or do you maybe think our scheme is dumb?

I do think they came to jesus that he's not a pure run stuffer 2 gap DT.

Only issue is they didn't actually find that guy to play next to him, and Wyatt is kind of a KC backup rather than running mate.  They have LBs to play behind beef, but DL designed to play with 260 Lb beefy backers.  1+1= 1.5  instead of 2 with their combos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

I do think they came to jesus that he's not a pure run stuffer 2 gap DT.

Only issue is they didn't actually find that guy to play next to him, and Wyatt is kind of a KC backup rather than running mate.  They have LBs to play behind beef, but DL designed to play with 260 Lb beefy backers.  1+1= 1.5  instead of 2 with their combos.

OR they realized he's got a lot of juice as a pass rusher and decided to put him in a position to be able to do that. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Replace sub optimal with average. Where does it end? "He's not great, He's damn good" what are the ******* tiers. Speak plain. 

He has been playing lights out. Period.

I agree , but ,  I don't think I heard his name called once in the Detroit game ! He a damn good player , not Donald level though ( not many players are )

If I had to give a grade for the Kenny Clark experience, it would probably be a B+ in a vacuum, with an A- ceiling. Mind you, that's still an excellent player, but I'm not sure he's cracking an All-NFL Starting lineup in any of the years he's played. Still worth the draft pick spent on him.

29 minutes ago, mtsportsfan1 said:

I agree , but ,  I don't think I heard his name called once in the Detroit game ! He a damn good player , not Donald level though ( not many players are )

Donald didn't get his name called when he played the 9ers.

Yeah I don't think Kenny is in the greatest of all time convo either. But he's playing top tier ball right now.

The question is not whether or not Kenny is great, it’s whether or not him as the anchor is 32nd in the NFL bad.

He’s not. Him plus Reed last year plus Wyatt plus everyone else we’ve had since Gute took over… The talent is there. 

• Like 1