How 🔥 is McDaniels Seat?

RaidersAreOne

18 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

This whole regimes time here so far seems like an casual expensive experiment 

I'd agree with that.  I'm concerned with the long leash that Davis seems to have given them.  It can be looked at like a positive so that they have time to implement their system.  However, it can also be a negative, like a lot of people thought with Gruden's 10 year contract.  

If these guys can do whatever they want with little worry about job security, that can be just as bad as being fired too quickly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, true2form said:

I'd agree with that.  I'm concerned with the long leash that Davis seems to have given them.  It can be looked at like a positive so that they have time to implement their system.  However, it can also be a negative, like a lot of people thought with Gruden's 10 year contract.  

If these guys can do whatever they want with little worry about job security, that can be just as bad as being fired too quickly.

Going at this speed we should be competitive by the time patty mayo is ready to retire

• Like 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:25 AM, NYRaider said:

He basically said they thought Carr was better than he actually is but he was willing to give them a chance to see if they could take it to the next level with him.

That seems like a total cop out to me.  I think Josh was just unwilling to adapt his rigid thinking brain to construct an offense that went with Carr’s strength and not weaknesses.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

That seems like a total cop out to me.  I think Josh was just unwilling to adapt his rigid thinking brain to construct an offense that went with Carr’s strength and not weaknesses.  

What should he have changed about the scheme to capitalize on Carr’s strengths? 

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

What should he have changed about the scheme to capitalize on Carr’s strengths? 

Pulled him from the game anytime the team reached the red zone probably....

In all seriousness, if watch JT O'Sullivans breakdown on Carr and blame McDaniels, I don't know how to help you. He schemed guys open and Carr left a ton pf plays on the field. 

If you buy David Carr's "Carr's Superpower is changing plays at the line" argument, that's fine. But if you can't execute the plays when the WRs are wide open, then a coach isn't going to give you much flexibility. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Pulled him from the game anytime the team reached the red zone probably....

In all seriousness, if watch JT O'Sullivans breakdown on Carr and blame McDaniels, I don't know how to help you. He schemed guys open and Carr left a ton pf plays on the field. 

If you buy David Carr's "Carr's Superpower is changing plays at the line" argument, that's fine. But if you can't execute the plays when the WRs are wide open, then a coach isn't going to give you much flexibility. 

truthfully though, if you carry 5 RBs and your 2nd and 3 leading rushers are your QBs, there is questionable roster management. 

I understand, we dont want to talk bad about our coach.  . . but DC was our 2nd leader rusher and we carried 5 RBs. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

truthfully though, if you carry 5 RBs and your 2nd and 3 leading rushers are your QBs, there is questionable roster management. 

I understand, we dont want to talk bad about our coach.  . . but DC was our 2nd leader rusher and we carried 5 RBs. 

Josh Jacobs was there only player with a rushing TD too. We were the only team that didn’t have at least 2 dudes score a rushing TD, lol. 

We used 2/6 draft picks last year on RB and paid Bolden more than what Harris / Penny got combined in free agency 

• Like 2

Honestly seems like JMD gets obsessive about sub packages and dudes he can use in the offense. Which is why we went crazy with RB last off-season and WR this year. That’s why you need a GM that can find balance and keep your coach in check.

Unfortunately DZ would rather enable JMD which is also probably why Davis said he’s still learning and people around him aren’t keeping it real

50 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I don't get as worked up with the RB thing as some of you. 

Jacobs was a workhorse this past season. I don't think anyone saw that coming as he'd always been nicked up. Them drafting Zues and Brown and not picking up his 5th year signal they thought the same.

Brown played well in pre-season, so couldn't cut him to the PS unfortunately. 

Abdullah and Bolden are ST guys. Whether those are extra RBs,WRs,DBs.... it's all depth in my eyes. 

I get hanging onto Bolden.... he's a meh player. But I understand the idea of having vet guy in the group to help set the tone and teach the offense.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

I don't get as worked up with the RB thing as some of you. 

Jacobs was a workhorse this past season. I don't think anyone saw that coming as he'd always been nicked up. Them drafting Zues and Brown and not picking up his 5th year signal they thought the same.

Brown played well in pre-season, so couldn't cut him to the PS unfortunately. 

Abdullah and Bolden are ST guys. Whether those are extra RBs,WRs,DBs.... it's all depth in my eyes. 

I get hanging onto Bolden.... he's a meh player. But I understand the idea of having vet guy in the group to help set the tone and teach the offense.

I agree that they didnt expect Jacobs to have such an unreal season. 
But when you have the league leading rusher, you need to find a way to be a top 10 rushing team. 
That to me is another flaw, league leading rusher yet we ended up 17th in rushing yards. 

I agree that yes they are mainly ST players so it doesnt really matter, I just wish our depth offered something. 
In no world should our backup QB who played two games end up our 3rd leading rusher. (especially since hes not a running qb)/ 

20 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I agree that they didnt expect Jacobs to have such an unreal season. 
But when you have the league leading rusher, you need to find a way to be a top 10 rushing team. 
That to me is another flaw, league leading rusher yet we ended up 17th in rushing yards. 

I agree that yes they are mainly ST players so it doesnt really matter, I just wish our depth offered something. 
In no world should our backup QB who played two games end up our 3rd leading rusher. (especially since hes not a running qb)/ 

The offense as a whole was a mess. McDaniels struggled to find balance. Carr struggled to execute consistently. 

I agree, the offense got a little one dimensional between Jacobs/Adams. One of them would be on and that's where things flowed. McDaniel's needs to be more diverse and have a counterpunch. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

The offense as a whole was a mess. McDaniels struggled to find balance. Carr struggled to execute consistently. 

I agree, the offense got a little one dimensional between Jacobs/Adams. One of them would be on and that's where things flowed. McDaniel's needs to be more diverse and have a counterpunch. 

He should follow what Nick Sirriani did and delegate playcalling to someone else so that he can take more of a CEO approach. He was sitting on the bench with Stidham talking about plays, lol. 

Edited by NYRaider

45 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He should follow what Nick Sirriani did and delegate playcalling to someone else so that he can take more of a CEO approach. He was sitting on the bench with Stidham talking about plays, lol. 

I said the same thing with Gruden, lol. 

Today's NFL, you want a play caller you have to make them the HC and that sucks to some degree. Unfortunately, McDaniel's is more of an operator vs. delegater. Double edged sword, I think he has an excellent (albeit complicated) system that players can thrive in. I don't think he's going to win people otherwise. You have to be obsessed with football and hate losing and not a lot of guys are wired that way. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Said it last year, I would've taken playcalling duties away from McDaniels and more or less scrapped his playbook, giving him an old playbook most of the roster knew and allowing him to just make some tweaks to it. 

Our best offensive weapons had way too much trouble picking up the notoriously difficult playbook he brought. Instead of adapting, he went with the ramming a square peg at a round hole until enough breaks off to squeeze through approach. 

We hired him to be a planner and HC, not an OC. If he wants to be an OC, he can go be someone's OC. If he wants to be a HC, he should be a HC.