State of the Steelers

warfelg

No need to comment on the state of this team until we have replaced Canada at the very minimum.  I'd be more excited if some or all the offensive coaches went as well. 

I don't think it's time just yet for the other side of the ball or Tomlin himself, but the season is not over yet. 8 could be convinced. 

The incompetence of this coaching staff is an on-going embarrassment. We've seen it for years now. Nothing will change and we continue to see pathetic performances like this way too often.  

The 4th and 1 call was just mindboggling. Not even the threat of running the ball. Shameful. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

is this the end of Gunner especially since King and Austin can return kicks?

6 minutes ago, August4th said:

what about Fehoko starting? I like the idea of  99, 96 , 95 for the 3 man front  . Keep 94 and  92 off the field.  I don't see Porter on there, so is Wallace still starting?  Is this not the most obvious change they should make?

12 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

https://x.com/underdog__nfl/status/1709328786385252447?s=46&t=qcRuXjH2St1oLeP8Aph7Og

Send DJ for a 2nd when he’s healthy. He would actually help them out a ton.

1.   No one is trading a 2nd for DJ.

2.   Panthers want a number 1.    DJ is a glorified 3rd option.

3.   I think our past WR trades will scare teams away going forward.

We'd be lucky to get a 4th for DJ, IMO.

22 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I'd do it but I think they'll want to try to get away with doing it a different way because they don't have a 1st.

If Mims does well, do they really consider this?  If Austin breaks out - wait, I mean if canada gets fired then these players appear to break out  is more like it. 

Still , I thought DJ would be back eventually and in his usual role of being open and moving the chains.  However, considering the hamstring injury, would anyone actually risk  trading for a player with that injury?

Carolina knows all about DJ after last years game, so that could be a good trade partner. That is if the Bears don't ship them claypool  first . What would you expect Carolina to offer?  A RD2 and then what?

1 hour ago, 43M said:

1.   No one is trading a 2nd for DJ.

2.   Panthers want a number 1.    DJ is a glorified 3rd option.

3.   I think our past WR trades will scare teams away going forward.

We'd be lucky to get a 4th for DJ, IMO.

Really? Someone just traded a 2nd for Chase freaking Claypool last year…. The reported other options for the Panthers are Jeudy, Sutton, and Higgins and the Bengals already shot them down. DJ is at the very least on the same tier as those guys. If Mike Evans became available that would change things.

idc how low you are on DJ, calling him a glorified 3rd option is just being a hater and simply not true.

And lastly that is a silly assumption to make that teams wouldn’t trade for a WR from us. The Panthers are desperate and it’s easy to envision them convincing themselves a WR who can get open like DJ is exactly what their rookie QB needs. IMO

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Really? Someone just traded a 2nd for Chase freaking Claypool last year….

Claypool was a 23 YO , 6'4, highly athletic WR who had an extremely promising rookie year and, in the minds of the Bears, had alot of untapped potential.

DJ isnt exactly old, but he is on C2, has no real upside left and has regressed the last few years.   Yes, part of his production dip is the offense and QB play, but he regularly runs backwards, has always had sus hands, gives up on routes and seemingly has a kind of a bad attitude.

The Bears traded a premium pick for Claypools potential, and missed....badly.   It happens.

That upside premium wont be there for DJ.

Apples and oranges.

The reported other options for the Panthers are Jeudy, Sutton, and Higgins and the Bengals already shot them down. DJ is at the very least on the same tier as those guys.

Jeudy and Sutton....perhaps.

He isnt on Tee Higgins level.   Come on.

I was going off the tweet "Panthers looking for a number 1".

The only guy listed I think really fits that mold is Higgins.

idc how low you are on DJ, calling him a glorified 3rd option is just being a hater and simply not true.

So what is he then?

If you are suggesting he is anything close to a WR1...that is "simply not true".

Id listen to an argument for him being a 2, which is where I was at until I watched him last year.    At best, he is a lower end to solid 2....but at his worst, he is a glorified 3 IMO, and on this team...in this offense, I think we are getting a slightly above average player.

At his age and what he has shown the last few years, I think a low 3rd or early 4th is our best bet.

I suggested trading him last year for a 2nd...which was our best chance.

And lastly that is a silly assumption to make that teams wouldn’t trade for a WR from us. The Panthers are desperate and it’s easy to envision them convincing themselves a WR who can get open like DJ is exactly what their rookie QB needs. IMO

I didn't say a team wouldn't trade for a WR from us...just that they'd be more reluctant....especially a higher pick.

I think you laughably overrate DJ and his value, but hey...I'll gladly eat my crow if I am wrong and we get a 2nd.    I would bet quite a bit that we'd get closer to my value of him than yours, though.

18 minutes ago, 43M said:

but he regularly runs backwards, has always had sus hands, gives up on routes and seemingly has a kind of a bad attitude.

Chase Claypool. You’re describing Chase Claypool.

This isn’t about what I think of DJ, it’s about what I think a team as desperate as the Panthers could convince themselves what DJ could be for them (and I was saying he’s on or slightly above Jeudy/Sutton level, not Higgins who isn’t available anyways).

He’s 27 years old and on a fair contract through next season. Yes he’s coming off a down year (as was Claypool), but he’s a little over a season removed from going 107-1161-8 with the corpse of Big Ben. 

Calling him a “glorified WR3” and 4th round value is a bit much. We see DJ for his warts, the Panthers could hypothetically see a QB friendly, top 10 route runner, who showed flashes of brilliance and top 15-20 WR potential back when the offense and QB play was merely competent. And to be honest, I might have to agree. Who knows what he could be on a team like the 49ers, Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, etc.)

It’s not all that different from the Claypool situation last year, except DJ is infinity a better player. Bears were desperate for a legit WR to properly evaluate their young QB. Panthers are currently in the same boat.

Edited by bigben07MVP

3 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Chase Claypool. You’re describing Chase Claypool.

No, Im absolutely describing Diontae Johnson.      

Claypool is just worse.

This isn’t about what I think of DJ, it’s about what I think a team as desperate as the Panthers could convince themselves what DJ could be for them (and I was saying he’s on or slightly above Jeudy/Sutton level, not Higgins who isn’t available anyways).

I hope you are right.   I just dont see it.

He’s 27 years old and on a fair contract through next season. Yes he’s coming off a down year (as was Claypool), but he’s a little over a season removed from going 107-1161-8 with the corpse of Big Ben. 

Again, you are dismissing the "upside" and "athletcism" parts, which were the primary reasons we got so much for Claypool.     That, and he was on a rookie deal.

As far as his past production....its nice, but his tape shows a really inconsistent player, and there is nothing about him that really stands out.    He isnt bad, but teams certainly dont have to gamelan around him, and thats typically what you want in a number 1.

Bottom line...I just dont see what would appeal a team to trading a 2nd for him.   But again, I hope I am wrong.

Calling him a “glorified WR3” and 4th round value is a bit much. We see DJ for his warts, the Panthers could hypothetically see a QB friendly, top 10 route runner, who showed flashes of brilliance and top 15-20 WR potential back when the offense and QB play was merely competent. And to be honest, I might have to agree. Who knows what he could be on a team like the 49ers, Chiefs, Bills, Dolphins, etc.)

It’s not all that different from the Claypool situation last year, except DJ is infinity a better player. Bears were desperate for a legit WR to properly evaluate their young QB. Panthers are currently in the same boat.

I have no doubt DJ would be more productive in a better offense....but any team looking at him to be their number 1 will be sorely disappointed.   The consistency has never been there, and some of his issues have gotten worse.   Perhaps with better coaching....

But hey, Im on board with trading him.

If we get a 2nd, feel free to throw it in my face, and I will gladly accept it.  😁