State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 hour ago, August4th said:

after that 31-6 whooping against the texans, I don't see any easy teams on this schedule. That might change if the offense plays like a NFL one. the 2nd half on sunday is a small glimmer it might happen.

I'm a hopeless optimist. I think it can happen. But, I am ready to be hurt again. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm a hopeless optimist. I think it can happen. But, I am ready to be hurt again. 

Worst case (and maybe most likely) scenario....we dont get much better, but our defense plays well enough to keep us in games, and our offense has  enough "sparks" to win 5+ of our remaining games and we sneak into the playoffs and eventually get trounced by an actual top team, but they use said "progress" to justify minor changes, including no changes to our offensive coaching.  

I think our team could actually do well in the playoffs. With our defense getting sacks and taking the ball away, we should be able to win some games. If our offense can figure out a way to score 3 TDs in a game, we'd be tough to beat. 

I like to look back at the butt kicking the Chiefs gave us the last time we were in the playoffs as a formula. That game was ugly in the first half. our defense was making the Chiefs work for everything they got(which wasn't much). Our offense went 3 and out, after 3 and out, after 3 and out. If we score a TD or two or a couple FGs there instead, that's a completely different ballgame. I don't think the top teams are that much better than the rest of the league. Anything can happen when you've got pass rushers and secondary guys like ours. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/three-trades-steelers-should-make-before-deadline-go-big-on-defense-with-broncos-all-pro-patrick-surtain-ii/

if all it takes is a RD2 pick for an elite CB, what is Khan waiting for? This is the easiest decision he could make all year.  That would be a pair of RD2 picks as starters  and youth on the teams side at CB1 and CB2 . Why hasn't this trade been done yet?

On 10/24/2023 at 3:14 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

secondary guys like ours.

somewhat agree, then also flip the coin and disagree depending on the players out there and what their role is.   

Khan should get a legit run stuffer vet that is out there available and then trade for Surtain.  Thats should solidify the defence . 

20 hours ago, 3rivers said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/three-trades-steelers-should-make-before-deadline-go-big-on-defense-with-broncos-all-pro-patrick-surtain-ii/

if all it takes is a RD2 pick for an elite CB, what is Khan waiting for? This is the easiest decision he could make all year.  That would be a pair of RD2 picks as starters  and youth on the teams side at CB1 and CB2 . Why hasn't this trade been done yet?

somewhat agree, then also flip the coin and disagree depending on the players out there and what their role is.   

Khan should get a legit run stuffer vet that is out there available and then trade for Surtain.  Thats should solidify the defence . 

It hasn't happened because the broncos are not trading him for a 2nd. Ffs use a little common sense on this instead of ***** about the team hasn't nade a fantasy trade come true.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 3rivers said:

how can we be the fave to trade for Hopkins when we have Johnson, Pickens and others? 

I thought we would be more inclined to get a legit CB.  Both would be good but I would expect some extra picks for that and not sure if Khan would do that.

Throwing things against the wall to get clicks.  Steelers are also in the running for Derrick Henry and One of the Washington Dlinemen.  I do not believe any of it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Throwing things against the wall to get clicks.  Steelers are also in the running for Derrick Henry and One of the Washington Dlinemen.  I do not believe any of it.

I wouldn’t be opposed to one of the Washington guys. Not likely at all, but I want beef up front more than WRs

4 hours ago, jebrick said:

it's annoying how the trade talks get.  If anything, I expect a CB, but not Surtain   since that would cost too much.

Surtain being “shopped” always felt out of place. IMO only the Bills and Eagles should entertain that Surtain price. 

I would be all over that Simmons one though. Him and Minkah out there together solves a ton of DB issues for us without having to changing out CBs yet. Plus I think it makes JPJs growth better because he can take risks without getting killed. 

40 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Surtain being “shopped” always felt out of place. IMO only the Bills and Eagles should entertain that Surtain price. 

I would be all over that Simmons one though. Him and Minkah out there together solves a ton of DB issues for us without having to changing out CBs yet. Plus I think it makes JPJs growth better because he can take risks without getting killed. 

RD2 pick for top tier safety seems like a no brainer to me. What is Khan waiting for, or is it that they don't want to hurt anyones feelings that are on the team when they have to move on from that player.  I would expect Simmons would result in a safety being traded, or released. 

How about the CB from the Bears and Simmons? Bears defence has been on fire the last few weeks, not sure they would want to part with their CB especially after the claypool trade.