State of the Steelers

warfelg

15 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

So you think Najee has been the better RB this year?

I think they’ve been more even. They are Jacobs/Williamson, White/Jonson, Barber/Jones. I thing Najee has faces harder boxes to run against and if you flipped their roles and the boxes they face you would see some of these top in their other ways. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I thing Najee has faces harder boxes to run against and if you flipped their roles and the boxes they face you would see some of these top in their other ways. 

So tired of this narrative. Warren isn’t just a 3rd and long back, he gets plenty of 1st and 2nd down carries. Just use your eyes man. Warren simply makes plays that Najee lacks the explosiveness to make. I like Najee, and I think he has a role in the offense, but Warren is a more effective down to down running back. 

8 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

So tired of this narrative. Warren isn’t just a 3rd and long back, he gets plenty of 1st and 2nd down carries. Just use your eyes man. Warren simply makes plays that Najee lacks the explosiveness to make. I like Najee, and I think he has a role in the offense, but Warren is a more effective down to down running back. 

Where did I say he was “just a 3rd and long back”?

Like I said, those are cherry picked stats in that tweet.  How about Najee being more efficient in NextGenStats?  The fact that Najee faces 8+Defenders 17% of the time, Warren 14% of the time.  

I can make a tweet like that which makes Najee look better:

Carries per broken tackle:

Najee - 7 

Warren - 8

Receptions per broken tackles:

Najee - 3

Warren - 7.1

Run with 8+ defenders:

Najee - 17

Warren - 7

Both have been playing better lately, but Najee has started to become underrated and Warren overrated.  Like I said, that tweet is really cherry picking stats.  Using yards before first contact doesn’t make me think that Warren should get more touches, rather it makes me think what they hell is the blocking doing for Najee, especially when Najee is unable to get north-south and spends more time behind the line.  

Im not saying Warren is notably better than Najee, but there is just something about Warren's running I much prefer.   He seems more decisive and can make his cuts alot faster.    When Najee gets openings he can be effective, but if I were forced to cut one, Id cut Najee before Warren.    Again, not because I think Warren is significantly better or anything, but because I think what Najee brings is more replaceable than what Warren brings.

Edited by 43M
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, 43M said:

Im not saying Warren is notably better than Najee, but there is just something about Warren's running I much prefer.   He seems more decisive and can make his cuts alot faster.    When Najee gets openings he can be effective, but if I were forced to cut one, Id cut Najee before Warren.    Again, not because I think Warren is significantly better or anything, but because I think what Najee brings is more replaceable than what Warren brings.

I honestly think they’re both replaceable TBH. I think what makes Warren look better is he is a zone block 1-cut back and that’s what Canada’s system is. Najee is a power downhill man blocking scheme back and that’s not Canada’s system. That’s why I wanted Etienne back in that draft. 

Half of Najee’s problem is square peg in round hole. I imagine he could have a “Beastmode” like second stop if he goes elsewhere. Lynch was good in Buffalo, but great in Seattle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

Warren has much more "big play" ability than Harris.  No one is very concerned with Harris breaking off a big run but Warren could take it to the house.

Sure about that?

https://x.com/gerrydulac/status/1721909695034597626?s=20

Jaylen Warren's 22-yard run to help set up the winning TD vs. Tennessee was his first of at least 20 yards this season. Najee Harris, meantime, has four, tied for seventh most in the league.

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I tend to lean your direction on this specific debate.  Harris does tend to get more hate than maybe he deserves. He really doesn't have much working in his favor. Same old formations and obvious run, Austin in motion obvious run, situational downs more obvious runs and stacked box. The frustrating part is even when the heavens part and the line blocks and Canada calls a solid play that breaks the situational norms Najee still takes forever to gather himself to make a simple cut and gets no gain. 

I believe he is the more talented but he does himself no favors even when the stars align for a splash play and he is still studder stepping to leave it 3rd and 8 again.  Like I said frustrating to watch. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Big Snack said:

I tend to lean your direction on this specific debate.  Harris does tend to get more hate than maybe he deserves. He really doesn't have much working in his favor. Same old formations and obvious run, Austin in motion obvious run, situational downs more obvious runs and stacked box. The frustrating part is even when the heavens part and the line blocks and Canada calls a solid play that breaks the situational norms Najee still takes forever to gather himself to make a simple cut and gets no gain. 

I believe he is the more talented but he does himself no favors even when the stars align for a splash play and he is still studder stepping to leave it 3rd and 8 again.  Like I said frustrating to watch. 

Najee needs more power gap scheme than zone runs.  As you said, he is not the best at that one cut run.

• Like 2