State of the Steelers

warfelg

1 hour ago, armsteeld said:

Vikings are damn near in a rebuild...could Justin Jefferson be in play? Antonio Brown, who started his own network CTESPN (twitter thang), said that the two have been in contact. I think the Steelers are dead set on going all out to get a championship this season. Stay tuned!

As cool as it'd be to bring in a top tier WR, I'm way more concerned about who is snapping the ball. Surely they have a plan for that. 

2nd and a 4th? My gut is that the deal would include Pickens, as the Steelers are inclined get rid of the last attitude problem on this team if they can upgrade him. Jefferson is more desirable than Aiyuk because he is under contract through 2025. If it were equal, I would prefer Aiyuk.

Edited by rlon

22 hours ago, warfelg said:

A good friend of mine brought up something interesting IMO. 

He said this year, especially offensively, has felt like a purging of “me not we” guys offensively. Okorafor, Cole, Kenny, DJ have all made comments or shown that they think they are over the team so to speak. There’s one more guy who has done that. 

George Pickens. 

What if GP is one of the chips for a guy like Aiyuk or Deebo or JJ? Would you still need to draft a WR? Yes. But if trading GP means giving up a 2nd or 3rd over a 1st why wouldn’t you do it? What if the trade were GP, 98, 2025 4th for Aiyuk? 

I think the Steelers are clearly in a 'win-now' mode, so I can't see them trading a 23YO stud WR, because he's said/done some immature things, especially when you consider who's been 'chirping' in his ear the last 2 years.  I honestly believe that DJ was part of the problem.  Maybe I am 'connecting dots' that aren't there, but considering that DJ was his 'veteran leader' in the WR room, I could see a scenario where he sees DJ crying and whining, and thinking, "huh, maybe DJ's got a point."

IDK.  Nothing would surprise me after what we've seen so far, but considering that Pickens is the only starting WR left in the room, and by far, the most talented.  I think if we do bring in a 'stud' WR, it's going to be, in the vein you are speaking of--a 'we not me' guy first and foremost.  Put in a highly successful vet with a 'team first' attitude, and maybe Pickens has a better 'role model' to look up to.

Personally, I'd hate to lose Pickens, especially now that we have 2 QBs that are better than the 3 guys we had on the team last year; I'm really hoping for a breakout year for Pickens, this year...

Edited by Ward4HOF
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AFF said:

If Justin Jefferson gets to traded to the Steelers I just want it to be known that it was because I willed into existence…

I know you'll hate me for this, but I am rooting against it.   Even with the moves we made, I do not believe this team is a star WR away, and it will take alot of draft capital and money to acquire him.   I dont think it happens regardless of what I want to happen, but I just dont think this would be a smart move unless Khan fleeces them somehow.

And if we did trade for him, I would hope they include George Pickens as part of the trade and that eases the draft compensation we have to give up.   I know people will say "Jefferson and Pickens would be amazing", but...will it?  And for how long?  How long before Pickens gets mad that Jefferson is taking away his targets?   Pickens would feel like he is being replaced as the number 1 guy and also know that he is not in the Steelers long term plans.

I would rather have Aiyuk.    I suppose similar issues could arise, but I dont think Pickens would feel as threatened by him, and they have complimentary skillsets.  Plus I dont think he would cost as much.

44 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I think the Steelers are clearly in a 'win-now' mode, so I can't see them trading a 23YO stud WR, because he's said/done some immature things,

The Steelers are in a weird position because IMO they really shouldnt be in win now mode, but they kind of have to be because Tomlin's seat is probably as hot as its ever been.     Im not saying he is necessarily on  the hot seat, but if this team goes another 2 or 3 years without a playoff win or two, I think Tomlin is definitely gone.

I think the roster lends itself to being a little of both "win now" and "retooling for the future".    This year is likely Cam's last season and I dont see TJ playing into his late 30s, so we probably have a 3 year window with him being a dominant player.   But we have some young building blocks except QB (unless you believe Fields is that young building block, but I doubt it).

As far as Pickens.   I dont want to get rid of him, but if we trade for Jefferson, IMO, it would be for the best.    I dont think he has the maturity to handle a bonafide top star WR overshadowing him while he is trying to become THAT guy.    An NFL roster can be a delicate ecosystem, and one wrong move can cause turmoil.   Trading for Jefferson seems great in theory, but I think it would quite possibly do more harm than good.   

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, 43M said:

The Steelers are in a weird position because IMO they really shouldnt be in win now mode, but they kind of have to be because Tomlin's seat is probably as hot as its ever been.     Im not saying he is necessarily on  the hot seat, but if this team goes another 2 or 3 years without a playoff win or two, I think Tomlin is definitely gone.

The rumor is it’s at the ownership level that the push is happening where some minority owners are threatening to sell. 

9 minutes ago, warfelg said:

The rumor is it’s at the ownership level that the push is happening where some minority owners are threatening to sell. 

Minority owners have sold because they bought the Commanders.  They sold to the Rooneys.  Now will the Rooneys sell another 5% share?

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Interesting. Jim Wexell on Locked On today said “this offseason is Mike Tomlins offseason, unlike the past.”

With a big grain of salt.  Since Tomlin is either a potted plant or he is the puppet master for the entire organization.  I tend to think it is somewhere in between.  Moves are not made in a vacuum.  The GMs are talking to Tomlin and the coaches and getting buy in.   This is part of Khan/Weidl revamping the FO and scouting.  They are listening to coaches and calling other teams.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Minority owners have sold because they bought the Commanders.  They sold to the Rooneys.  Now will the Rooneys sell another 5% share?

They aren’t the only minority owners. Thomas Tull is one (likely the richest) and is buying the Harris stake. 

2 minutes ago, jebrick said:

With a big grain of salt.  Since Tomlin is either a potted plant or he is the puppet master for the entire organization.  I tend to think it is somewhere in between.  Moves are not made in a vacuum.  The GMs are talking to Tomlin and the coaches and getting buy in.   This is part of Khan/Weidl revamping the FO and scouting.  They are listening to coaches and calling other teams.

Big grain of salt of course but Wexell is one of the few a trust on news like this. I wouldn’t be shocked if we were to learn Tomlin is always involved but he’s been more involved the last two years. I keep maintaining that we’ve moved on from a lot of guys late in Colbert’s career, and Tomlin needs to be on board with that since he was around for it. 

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

https://steelersnow.com/steelers-minority-owners-sell-stake-team-valued-at-4-billion/

A mixture of both.  Tull and Rooneys bought the stake.

Either way there’s still more than just 1 minority owners. And other Rooney’s than just ARII own stakes in the team. There’s plenty of voices in that ownership room that ARII’s voice isn’t the only one. He just acts as owner since he’s the president.