State of the Steelers

warfelg

23 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Patterson is a god awful WR.  That is why he is listed at RB.  I think he is too dumb to learn his routes and has hands of stone.  If Patterson takes away any WR snaps, I may sue Tomlin for gross negligence and stupidity.

Be that as it may, he still lines up there occasionally.  

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Patterson is a god awful WR.  That is why he is listed at RB.  I think he is too dumb to learn his routes and has hands of stone.  If Patterson takes away any WR snaps, I may sue Tomlin for gross negligence and stupidity.

I agree 100%. He's a 3rd RB/KR. Can be a gadget player but that isn't needed since we can do some crazy things with Justin Fields packages.

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Unless he wants to line up at WR.

But like it or not I think we will see Patterson used some in short yardage and in the red zone. But I don’t think that will come at the expense of Warren.

I agree we could see him lined up in the slot, but provided it’s with one of our RBs I would consider that a 20’s personnel grouping. And that’s all I want - he can play a dozen snaps a week provided it’s with Najee or Warren. If he starts taking snaps from either I'm out. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I agree we could see him lined up in the slot, but provided it’s with one of our RBs I would consider that a 20’s personnel grouping. And that’s all I want - he can play a dozen snaps a week provided it’s with Najee or Warren. If he starts taking snaps from either I'm out. 

Looked a little more into it. He only played 19% of the snaps last year. He did have one week with 40% and 4 with near 30%. It's not overly concerning. 

11 hours ago, SteelersFan2333 said:

Hopefully the weight loss does the same for him as it did for Leveon Bell!

LeVeon was a much different type of runner.  

Im not as thrilled as others are.   I dont think it will necessarily hurt his game, but I dont think it will help much, either.

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

Im not as thrilled as others are.   I dont think it will necessarily hurt his game, but I dont think it will help much, either.

That's where I'm at. He isn't a shifty runner. 

45 minutes ago, 43M said:

I sort of agree. He doesn't have the elusiveness or speed imo for this to have much benefit in my opinion. What I think it accomplishes is the loss of power running up the middle or into traffic. 

A few things:

Najee was a leader in the league in 20+ runs, broken tackles, and forced missed tackles. Being able to move his feet faster is only going to help. 

To my eye, while Najee looks lighter he’s also leaner in that he still looks really strong, he just doesn’t have the bull that went with it. I think he’s gonna get some breakaway speed that he needed. 

IMO this reminds me of the change to the body that Henry has when Smith took over and Henry busted out. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

A few things:

Najee was a leader in the league in 20+ runs, broken tackles, and forced missed tackles. Being able to move his feet faster is only going to help. 

To my eye, while Najee looks lighter he’s also leaner in that he still looks really strong, he just doesn’t have the bull that went with it. I think he’s gonna get some breakaway speed that he needed. 

IMO this reminds me of the change to the body that Henry has when Smith took over and Henry busted out. 

It’s funny that you said that, because I was just wondering if Smith is the lightning rod for that, saying this is the offense, this is how I am going to use you, and this is what I need you to be. Take that option…Steelers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VigilantZombie said:

I sort of agree. He doesn't have the elusiveness or speed imo for this to have much benefit in my opinion. What I think it accomplishes is the loss of power running up the middle or into traffic. 

He did have a wiggle coming out, along with upside as a pass catcher. Those things can definitely improve, as can acceleration. Never know…

Najee and Le'Veon had very similar draft profiles coming out (although some of Le'Veon's was hilariously not in-line with his pro career). Even if this doesn't make him an elusive runner, it likely increases his long speed.

The downside of the Najee/Le'Veon comparison is that we don't have near the OL that we did when Le'Veon was here, which was a large part of his success.