WJ3 wants out

turtle28

23 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Surprise, Surprise.

If he is used as a man coverage corner somewhere else, he will return to his form in Cincy. Absolutely terrible job of maximizing players skill sets by our Defensive Coordinator. 

You can’t really change your whole defense to fit one player.

To me, the terrible job here was by the personnel folks who made a man CB the highest paid non-QB on the roster of a primarily zone coverage team. How do you do that? What was ever the plan? It never became clear to me what they ever intended to happen with that. It’s like Rivera made the decision to bring this guy in without ever talking to JDR about whether we could find a way to utilize his particular skillset. 

I suspect they figured they wanted the tools and would teach him the defense. But one of my major concerns was finally (sort of) confirmed by Pac-Man Jones of all people in an article that’s linked-to from the link in this OP, where he’s basically insinuating that WJIII is not the brightest star in the sky. To me, that’s a huge failure by pro scouting. You have to know that if you’re going to sign a guy for that kind of money with the intention of teaching him an entirely new style of defense. If he mostly plays man because he literally can’t learn anything more complicated, you just can’t drop that bag at his feet.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

To me, the terrible job here was by the personnel folks who made a man CB the highest paid non-QB on the roster of a primarily zone coverage team. How do you do that? What was ever the plan? It never became clear to me what they ever intended to happen with that. It’s like Rivera made the decision to bring this guy in without ever talking to JDR about whether we could find a way to utilize his particular skillset. 

I suspect they figured they wanted the tools and would teach him the defense. But one of my major concerns was finally (sort of) confirmed by Pac-Man Jones of all people in an article that’s linked-to from the link in this OP, where he’s basically insinuating that WJIII is not the brightest star in the sky. To me, that’s a huge failure by pro scouting. You have to know that if you’re going to sign a guy for that kind of money with the intention of teaching him an entirely new style of defense. If he mostly plays man because he literally can’t learn anything more complicated, you just can’t drop that bag at his feet.

Exactly.  You either do the work and see if he can make the adjustment, you sign someone who fits what you are doing, or if you are bringing in a transcendent player, you make the scheme about him.  WJ3 wasn’t the latter, so it’s a case of the two former option. 

• Like 2

Cap impact here is kinda interesting. Not great for us, but not terrible.

The short version is that the acquiring team probably takes on about $4M in total salary from us if he’s traded in the next week. Decent price for them, but still kinda costly for 11-12 games. They also take on the $12.75M for next season, though it’s entirely non-guaranteed, so they’d be in a great position to force him to renegotiate if they want to keep him.

For us, we save that $4M but (per Spotrac at least), we take about a $3.25M dead cap hit for 2022, so we save a small bit of change. In 2023, we’d take on another $9M dead cap per Spotrac (due to it being a post June 1 trade), but that would save over $6M against the cap compared to the $15M+ that he’s scheduled to count now.

43 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Somehow Rivera will do a deal that costs us a draft pick and cap space

I was thinking the opposite actually, Lavar.

I would trade Jackson for a conditional 7th rounder for year 2089, if it meant getting him off this team. He's been horrible here. A detriment actually...

Which means Washington will probably get a 2nd rounder for him. Lol

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

That's the point though. By signing a primarily man coverage corner and not changing scheme (which arguably would benefit every other CB not named Kendall Fuller), they tried to fit a square peg into a round hole. The signing should have never happened and the only people to blame are the coaching staff.

12 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

I was thinking the opposite actually, Lavar.

I would trade Jackson for a conditional 7th rounder for year 2089, if it meant getting him off this team. He's been horrible here. A detriment actually...

Which means Washington will probably get a 2nd rounder for him. Lol

Zero chance we get anything over "market value" for a corner playing terribly in a terrible scheme. 

Trade for a 4th that climbs to a 3rd. His cap isn't that bad going forward (we've paid over 50% of his contract already). Why that high of picks? Because he can still play man. He cannot play zone. A team who can utilize his skillset would be getting a steal with a starting CB of his man coverage skills for a 3rd.

45 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Trade for a 4th that climbs to a 3rd. His cap isn't that bad going forward (we've paid over 50% of his contract already). Why that high of picks? Because he can still play man. He cannot play zone. A team who can utilize his skillset would be getting a steal with a starting CB of his man coverage skills for a 3rd.

This undoubtedly means he will go for a conditional 6th. 

Well Done Animation GIF by Studio AKA
Rivera- we’re trading him what’s your offer?

Other teams- uhm you give us a 1 and Mr Burnt toast and we will give you or 3rd best ex panther in return. 
Rivera- covers the mouth of the phone turns to Mayhew and says make it happen before they think we’re getting over on em 🤣🤣🤣