WJ3 wants out

turtle28

4 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Surprise, Surprise.

If he is used as a man coverage corner somewhere else, he will return to his form in Cincy. Absolutely terrible job of maximizing players skill sets by our Defensive Coordinator. 

I read that we’ve played man 30% of the time, one of the highest percentages in the league.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

You can’t really change your whole defense to fit one player.

To me, the terrible job here was by the personnel folks who made a man CB the highest paid non-QB on the roster of a primarily zone coverage team. How do you do that? What was ever the plan? It never became clear to me what they ever intended to happen with that. It’s like Rivera made the decision to bring this guy in without ever talking to JDR about whether we could find a way to utilize his particular skillset. 

I suspect they figured they wanted the tools and would teach him the defense. But one of my major concerns was finally (sort of) confirmed by Pac-Man Jones of all people in an article that’s linked-to from the link in this OP, where he’s basically insinuating that WJIII is not the brightest star in the sky. To me, that’s a huge failure by pro scouting. You have to know that if you’re going to sign a guy for that kind of money with the intention of teaching him an entirely new style of defense. If he mostly plays man because he literally can’t learn anything more complicated, you just can’t drop that bag at his feet.

To me they panicked after they lost Darby. They should’ve just paid to keep Darby.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

He blew — or someone blew, if you want to say it wasn’t him, as some have — this exact same coverage against Dallas on the Lamb TD. 

He stays wide and doesn’t run with the deep ball, not recognizing that they’ve run off the safety with a seam-running TE. He goes to pass off the deep post to the safety — but there’s no safety there. 

It’s just befuddling, because on the Lamb play at least there’s literally no one else on his side of the field. And he’s just dropping off their best player at the goalline, basically.

EDIT: Just watched the player tracking from the Slayton play. Same deal, no one else on his side of the field. At the time, folks blamed it on Collins, who squatted on the TE over the middle. But Curl played it the same way against DAL, and again Jackson just let the deep man go with the expectation that someone else would be there. 

Edited by e16bball

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I read that we’ve played man 30% of the time, one of the highest percentages in the league.

unnamed-10-1-768x485.png

Week 1 and 3 skew our numbers a little, but even with that when you play your CBs 10 yards off the ball it should hardly be called man coverage. 

We will definitely be better off with Jackson no longer on the field blowing coverages. 

Falcons sort of stand out as a team that plays a lot of man, has some cap space, and could maybe use a CB2 across from the excellent AJ Terrell. Bumping Casey Hayward inside to cover the slot would make a pretty good trio if they could get the old WJIII back.

Edited by e16bball

The problem with this is we already devalued him by benching him.  I guess he devalued himself with his play.  But I wonder what we could get for him?  

If a guy could dream, it would be to somehow trade him for Ioannidis.  I know, that is probably unrealistic, but we are going to need help there after we lose Payne.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Not a safety in the picture ! He thought he had over the top help I guess. 🙃

Yeah, I think it was Landon Collins who blew that one or maybe McCain. My thing will always be though, how do you just let a guy go w/o knowing there’s someone to pass him off to or not? There’s no awareness. He’s just staring in the backfield, not looking at the WR. He did the same thing with CeeDee Lamb last week vs the Cowboys & then after he was benched. You have to be aware & he just isn’t. He’s guessing all the time.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/34809515/nfl-trade-deadline-2022-early-buzz-rumors-christian-mccaffrey-chase-claypool-mike-gesicki-teams-deal 

Expect the situation with cornerback William Jackson III and the Washington Commanders to get resolved fairly soon. While sources confirm the NFL Network report that he wants out of Washington, which is now looking to trade him, I'm told the team doesn't want this to linger.

There are layers to this discussion, due in part to the player's health. An MRI has revealed an injury to Jackson's lower back. It's something he might be able to play through, but that's largely up to Jackson, who as of late last week hadn't officially requested a trade.

The team is trying to decide whether his injury requires a trip to injured reserve, which would shut him down for four weeks. And if he can play, should the Commanders proceed with a trade? They have been trying to sort through the situation.

The Broncos, Arizona Cardinals and Pittsburgh Steelers are among the teams that could use corner help.

In other cornerback news, multiple sources say the Seattle Seahawks have made Sidney Jones IV available. Seattle would love to keep Jones but is rolling with its young three-man corner rotation of Tariq Woolen, Mike Jackson and Coby Bryant. Jones, like most players, wants to play and can help a corner-needy team.