Game six postmortem - get the shovel out and dig this team a grave.

Old Guy

On 10/19/2022 at 8:23 PM, packerstk7 said:

That’s very astute. This trajectory is very similar to MM although more compressed it seems. This feels more like his last 2 years in charge. What’s also interesting to me is that like in MM offense we seem to be very reliant on WR winning one on one match ups, and none of them are good enough to do that on a regular basis.

I have thought of this, but I think it's a bit too early to come to that conclusion.  Partly because after going 13-3/13-4 the past 3 years in a row, there had to be a pullback of some sorts.  I mean, I don't think any franchise in this league has ever won at least 13 games for 4 years in a row ever, and us doing it for 3 in a row was historic in and of itself.

Having said that, I did mention in another thread that I've become upset over the trends I've seen in the LaFleur era where once this team gets smacked in the head, they seemingly can't pull themselves together and make adjustments accordingly.

Right now I'm on the fence about LaFleur.  He now has a task of trying to figure out the team's issues and fix them, and if he does, I'm willing to keep the faith that he does what his old buddy McVay did last year.  But I fear he may be just a good coach and not a great one who's going to end up blowing it in the remaining window Rodgers has before father time takes him.

• Like 2

On 10/24/2022 at 8:49 AM, vegas492 said:

Anyone have Sean Payton's cell phone number?  ...Asking for a friend.

What could have been. The whole AR era would have had a bit less controversy.

Not only are the GB fans spoiled, but this FO and the coaching staffs as well. gonna be a rude awakening. I started following with the Magic Man. Guess I'll find out what the 70s and 80s were like.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

What could have been. The whole AR era would have had a bit less controversy.

Not only are the GB fans spoiled, but this FO and the coaching staffs as well. gonna be a rude awakening. I started following with the Magic Man. Guess I'll find out what the 70s and 80s were like.

It's amazing how many of you think this is automatically going to happen again because we won't have a HOF QB. Or at least talk like it will. 

8 minutes ago, Norm said:

It's amazing how many of you think this is automatically going to happen again because we won't have a HOF QB. Or at least talk like it will. 

no. Norm. Just no.

Everyone else in the league with a good set of eyes has seen it for now going on seven years. AR has carried the water for this FO (and par coaching). And the FO didn't even need to do much, but failed to do that little.

This FO is straight headed for the cliff, and it's amazing how many don't see it. Go. Look. At. Gute's. Drafts. Really, look at the Packer's drafts since 2013, then since 2018. It has actually gotten worse. Gute's dumping his own picks like they were from a prior regime, and he has neglected key position for luxury picks or boneheaded-shoot-yourself-in-the-foot picks: I count four, no five, of these. It's a pattern now, and a pattern for race-to-the-bottom type failure.

Unglem just voiced my same utter confusion about the draft (of five years) today: it's fubar. You simply cannot build a team that way, and guess what? This team cannot even put together consecutive drives because they literally don't know "building teams 101." The incompetence isn't controversial, it's staggering.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

no. Norm. Just no.

Everyone else in the league with a good set of eyes has seen it for now going on seven years. AR has carried the water for this FO (and par coaching). And the FO didn't even need to do much, but failed to do that little.

This FO is straight headed for the cliff, and it's amazing how many don't see it. Go. Look. At. Gute's. Drafts. Really, look at the Packer's drafts since 2013, then since 2018. It has actually gotten worse. Gute's dumping his own picks like they were from a prior regime, and he has neglected key position for luxury picks or boneheaded-shoot-yourself-in-the-foot picks: I count four, no five, of these. It's a pattern now, and a pattern for race-to-the-bottom type failure.

Unglem just voiced my same utter confusion about the draft (of five years) today: it's fubar. You simply cannot build a team that way, and guess what? This team cannot even put together consecutive drives because they literally don't know "building teams 101." The incompetence isn't controversial, it's staggering.

So the team wins 36 games in 3 years and we are down this year after losing our best WR and 2 of our best 5 Oline playing in rough shape. You see a pattern........no offense but 5 picks that didn't pan out in the last 5 drafts. You have to be kidding me right...............

Did they do everything perfectly of course not but clearly clearly they have been much better than most. So if we have a down year, good maybe we get another top 15 pick that may be good too. 

Building teams 101, again sorry no offense but you are on what page of that book? 

17 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

no. Norm. Just no.

This is the same front office that drafted Rashaan Gary, Jaire Alexander, Elgton Jenkins and Eric Stokes, right?

Same front office that signed the Smiths, Amos, Campbell and Douglas?

Same front office that re-signed Bakh when he was healthy?  And Clark?

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

This is the same front office that drafted Rashaan Gary, Jaire Alexander, Elgton Jenkins and Eric Stokes, right?

Same front office that signed the Smiths, Amos, Campbell and Douglas?

Same front office that re-signed Bakh when he was healthy?  And Clark?

Take a deeper look at all the drafts. I take note every year and I also look at depth of class and options they chose to pass every single year: and I've accumulated and held all my grievances til now. It's gross and utter incompetence. LIS I like the FAs Gute has done. But draft strategy and draft evals don't cut it for a team that relies on the draft. Outside of the top fifty, they can't draft at all. On the good side Gute does move around to get a solid first pick (and he also got Jenkins -- you can't miss them all). It's not just the evals: they are drafting the wrong positions, period. You need a WR and RT for five years and multiple times passed when one was staring at you on the clock: not forgiveable. And now, quelle surprise!!!! We are screwed at WR and RT. But it is so much worse because they had the capital to draft a RT this year, and they went ilb instead. QB2, RB3, HB: 1,2,3 is not a draft philosophy and they still haven't found one.

and here we are: nine OL picks in three years and two starters. They were literally afraid to put Tom in Sunday, and if you watch his snaps, you see why. Hope he can work out this year if Bakh can't come back: but that was not a "plan."

Edit: and I throw the Watson pick in as a failure (not that I don't like him, no, not at all). He is a futures, and you spent two picks on him. You needed someone who could contribute this year: it's not that it was not smart. No; it's not in any way a "plan." It was a crap shoot and not how you GM (or rather GM well since at least a third of GM's in the league are pretty clueless).

Edited by JaireAlex
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

no. Norm. Just no.

Just yes.

You guys have zero perspective. The standard you use to gauge this stuff isn't based on the realities of pro football. It's just what you think team building should be.

This year is obviously more evident with the lack of WRs and everything though. Overall I don't see this catastrophe that the ARDS sees. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

Take a deeper look at all the drafts. I take note every year and I also look at depth of class and options they chose to pass every single year: and I've accumulated and held all my grievances til now. It's gross and utter incompetence. LIS I like the FAs Gute has done. But draft strategy and draft evals don't cut it for a team that relies on the draft. Outside of the top fifty, they can't draft at all. On the good side Gute does move around to get a solid first pick (and he also got Jenkins -- you can't miss them all). It's not just the evals: they are drafting the wrong positions, period. You need a WR and RT for five years and multiple times passed when one was staring at you on the clock: not forgiveable. And now, quelle surprise!!!! We are screwed at WR and RT. But it is so much worse because they had the capital to draft a RT this year, and they went ilb instead. QB2, RB3, HB: 1,2,3 is not a draft philosophy and they still haven't found one.

and here we are: nine OL picks in three years and two starters. They were literally afraid to put Tom in Sunday, and if you watch his snaps, you see why. Hope he can work out this year if Bakh can't come back: but that was not a "plan."

Edit: and I throw the Watson pick in as a failure (not that I don't like him, no, not at all). He is a futures, and you spent two picks on him. You needed someone who could contribute this year: it's not that it was not smart. No; it's not in any way a "plan." It was a crap shoot and not how you GM (or rather GM well since at least a third of GM's in the league are pretty clueless).

Tom was bad is an interesting perversion of reality I haven't seen you guys use yet. 

18 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

This should be easy.  Please post your picks from this 2022 draft. What player would you have drafted at each pick.

You even get the benefit of doing so after the draft unfolds and 1/3 ofvthe season  has been played.  

I'm sure you have posted these picks as they happened which a forward thinking person would do.

Thanks!!

Just now, Norm said:

Just yes.

You guys have zero perspective. The standard you use to gauge this stuff isn't based on the realities of pro football. It's just what you think team building should be.

This year is obviously more evident with the lack of WRs and everything though. Overall I don't see this catastrophe that the ARDS sees. 

Before perspective, glasses. ;)

There's no premier QB who has been so neglected as AR these last seven years; I actually started looking around by accident. What I saw was shocking, horrifying and mind-blowing: other QB's number 3 is historically better than AR's present 1. It didn't happen overnight. GM's plan....for the future....that is years down the road, meaning F I V E years ago. It's criminal: Gute should be behind bars. Not getting WR/RT for five years while grabbing a practice squad QB, an RB3 (toy for MLF), and FB: means glasses needed, NOT perspective.

. ;)

and cheers

ARDS, signing off. thanks for playing. and all excuses are accepted for the four time and reigning MVP (that's just how we roll at ARDS)

• Like 2