Game six postmortem - get the shovel out and dig this team a grave.

Old Guy

30 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Don't we still have him on a RFA deal next year?  I know that Spotrac and OTC had differing things on him out there earlier this year.

But yah, he's a quality player and should be getting even better.

This year should be a good audition. Maybe Walker becomes the swing T and Nijman the starter.

Well, I've watched the game three times.  Nijman was bad.  They gave him a lot of help with chips and he looked bad.

Maybe it's harder to flip sides than we think, but he was bad.  I know that goes against forum perception.  

Cobb is killing Amari's development.  Yes, he muffed a punt, but his WR reps were pretty good.  Too bad he couldn't quite reach that long toss, but I can separate his punt returning from his WR play.  

The Doubs bandwagon has fumbled away any momentum.  

We need some medication for the ADD the whole team seemed to be suffering from.

One more....our Safeties suck.  Is it the laid back pu**y scheme we play?  That we have enough talent that we minimize our strengths and play into our weaknesses?  Too much gap responsibility and not enough chaos?

IDK.  We are a good team that has played like crap for the last month.

3 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

One more....our Safeties suck.  Is it the laid back pu**y scheme we play?  That we have enough talent that we minimize our strengths and play into our weaknesses?  Too much gap responsibility and not enough chaos?

Our defensive players should all have the mindset of laying wood.  Instead its "It's your turn to tackle him". Gotta get hungry.  

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Well, I've watched the game three times.  Nijman was bad.  They gave him a lot of help with chips and he looked bad.

Maybe it's harder to flip sides than we think, but he was bad.  I know that goes against forum perception.  

Cobb is killing Amari's development.  Yes, he muffed a punt, but his WR reps were pretty good.  Too bad he couldn't quite reach that long toss, but I can separate his punt returning from his WR play.  

both safeties?  Amos seems to always be a + player. 

2 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

I think Yosh has looked very good at LT.  This last week at RT? Not so much.  

I think that Amari is just a poor man's Cobb.  Would he be better with more reps? Probably.  Does he deserve those reps if Cobb is healthy? No.

Doubs is struggling in the same way that James Jones, and Davante Adams did in the past.  The question is whether or not he can grow the way that those two did.  They had the advantage of working with under 30 Rodgers, while Doubs has not quite 40 Rodgers.  I think that Doubs can turn it around.  Look at his college stuff, and he was really good, and he gets open quite a bit.  He really needs to work on securing the ball, both catching it and after the catch though.

I agree that the safeties are not good.  I want to say that it is the scheme, but there are a whole lot of whiffs on tackles, and miscommunications for it to not at least be partially on the players.

8 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Yah know?  I want to agree with @JaireAlex concerning the offensive line.  I'm trying to do some mental gymnastics to come around on that point.

Tevon Jenkins.  The failed Bears tackle/guard/whatever.  That was a RT that we could have had.  And he's been bad.

It's easy to say "draft the o-line and RT".  But here's what I think.

I think RT is an easy position to find in the draft.  And not just at the top.  We typically draft tackles and see if they can play there, or inside at guard.  That has been at the core of how we draft.  And we do like LT's as they are more athletic.

I don't see any fault in how we've drafted the o-line.  Even this year.  Rhyan has been disappointing as a rookie, but I still think he's a 6+ year starter for us in the future.  Even the Humper (Penn State kid) looked the part of a tackle in pre-season.  I think there's a good player there.  And Tom looks like our LT for the future.

I feel like even Newman has a chance to be good.  He needs consistency.  Runyan has been fine.  But...he's also not a guy you give a large deal to in the future.  You just move on with guys you've already drafted.

I thought we reached by a round on Myers at center.  But, we shall see.  The dude is huge, smart and quick.  Just hasn't come totally together yet.

And let's not forget Yosh Nijman.  We found a gem there.  Took the time to develop him and now we have a competent player.

Again, I'll criticize the FO for not addressing the WR room earlier.  But I really can't regarding the o-line.

I had written a very long response, beginning by agreeing with you and then reasoned my way to the very opposite. Suffice to say: 1) the Oline was THE major prob the last two playoff outs 2) The "plan" this year was essentially inexperienced guys and cross our finger hoping Bakh & Jenkins come back. MY POINT, and I'll leave it short, we have a serious mishandling of drafts and draft capital, which was most noticeable in 2020 but continued through this year; also we cut all of Gute's first draft besides the pick one: the drafts since, don't look much better tbh. The FO deprived the team of two Superbowls imo. I lay the blame for recent failures: 70% on FO, 20% on coaches. You can invert that for the 2015 meltdown. They let AR down, not the other way around. You and I DO agree about WR at least, just not the degree of failure there.

Anyways, thanks for the convo. You did show me a couple things. I understand things better.

I won't be posting in this sub-forum. It's enemy territory to me: I'm a huge AR fan. Also, I was around during the bad years, pre Magic Man.  Those views are not tolerated here as well as criticism of the FO. I left last time, mainly because of my defense of the Gary pick as well as my expressed interest in Simmons in that same draft. You can't speak contrary to the mob here, without vitriolic attacks. And I just don't need to deal with teen agers: I have my own and taught them many years. I was correct I think in my views of that draft at the time and in retrospect (though I don't remember my entire thinking, it's been a while):  I drank the Savage koolaid a bit much before and after the draft, but never liked that trade up at the time. I think that was the first small sign that something was wrong in this FO. Just really didn't rear it's ugly head for a couple of years. Sorry, I've said more than I was going to.

Thanks again

4 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

I had written a very long response, beginning by agreeing with you and then reasoned my way to the very opposite. Suffice to say: 1) the Oline was THE major prob the last two playoff outs 2) The "plan" this year was essentially inexperienced guys and cross our finger hoping Bakh & Jenkins come back. MY POINT, and I'll leave it short, we have a serious mishandling of drafts and draft capital, which was most noticeable in 2020 but continued through this year; also we cut all of Gute's first draft besides the pick one: the drafts since, don't look much better tbh. The FO deprived the team of two Superbowls imo. I lay the blame for recent failures: 70% on FO, 20% on coaches. You can invert that for the 2015 meltdown. They let AR down, not the other way around. You and I DO agree about WR at least, just not the degree of failure there.

Anyways, thanks for the convo. You did show me a couple things. I understand things better.

I won't be posting in this sub-forum. It's enemy territory to me: I'm a huge AR fan. Also, I was around during the bad years, pre Magic Man.  Those views are not tolerated here as well as criticism of the FO. I left last time, mainly because of my defense of the Gary pick as well as my expressed interest in Simmons in that same draft. You can't speak contrary to the mob here, without vitriolic attacks. And I just don't need to deal with teen agers: I have my own and taught them many years. I was correct I think in my views of that draft at the time and in retrospect (though I don't remember my entire thinking, it's been a while):  I drank the Savage koolaid a bit much before and after the draft, but never liked that trade up at the time. I think that was the first small sign that something was wrong in this FO. Just really didn't rear it's ugly head for a couple of years. Sorry, I've said more than I was going to.

Thanks again

Where were these " vitriolic attacks"?

It's fair to criticize the front office, coaching, some players, but not the starting QB?

Curious which 2 Superbowls the Front office deprived the team of?  Assemble a team capable of getting to the NFCCG but there is more needed to distinguish it specifically as a Super Bowl contender.   At that point, the players gotta finish the deal.

• Like 3

Just now, squire12 said:

Where were these " vitriolic attacks"?

It's fair to criticize the front office, coaching, some players, but not the starting QB?

Curious which 2 Superbowls the Front office deprived the team of?  Assemble a team capable of getting to the NFCCG but there is more needed to distinguish it specifically as a Super Bowl contender.   At that point, the players gotta finish the deal.

let him leave please.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Sorry, but I'm genuinely interested in the answers.

Why? It's all complete nonsense. He thinks because he watches the draft and then writes down 5 other guys that we could have taken and one of them ends up being good that it means the entire FO are morons and he is a genius.

Edited by Norm
  • Like 4